Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 07:22 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times

Advertisements

I had gestational diabetes with my last child (5.5 years ago) and was told that I had a greater risk of Type 2 because of that.

I made some dietary changes and started exercising and lost a good amount of weight (80lbs). I've gained some back since then (20lbs) which I'm now working on getting back off again.

It was also recommended that I get a few testing strips every 6 months or so and check my numbers so that I can catch things early, should I ever wind up type 2.

Here is where I'm confused!

My fastings have been in the pre-diabetic range (107 - 115) the last 4 days but my postprandial numbers have been fine (105 - 120 after 1 hour, 80 - 100 after 2 hours). I've got a regular physical coming up Sept. 14th but I'm looking for some insight here so I know what kind of questions I should be asking.

I know based on my fasting that they may label me as a pre-diabetic. Everything I've read so far says that the fasting number is usually the last to go, meaning it's the last to give you high readings.

I've got a food journal that I've been keeping since checking my BS so the doc can see what I've been eating.

Could pre-D cause my fastings to be elevated? Is it really pre-D if my PP numbers are fine?

My last A1C was 2 years ago and came back at 4.6 and I'm going to ask them to check the A1C again. Should I also request a GTT?

I'm totally confused and concerned that I will not get a proper diagnosis, whether it be "normal" or "pre-D" because my FG and my PP numbers do not agree with eachother.

Any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 12:05 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I had gestational diabetes with my last child (5.5 years ago) and was told that I had a greater risk of Type 2 because of that.

I made some dietary changes and started exercising and lost a good amount of weight (80lbs). I've gained some back since then (20lbs) which I'm now working on getting back off again.

It was also recommended that I get a few testing strips every 6 months or so and check my numbers so that I can catch things early, should I ever wind up type 2.

Here is where I'm confused!

My fastings have been in the pre-diabetic range (107 - 115) the last 4 days but my postprandial numbers have been fine (105 - 120 after 1 hour, 80 - 100 after 2 hours). I've got a regular physical coming up Sept. 14th but I'm looking for some insight here so I know what kind of questions I should be asking.

I know based on my fasting that they may label me as a pre-diabetic. Everything I've read so far says that the fasting number is usually the last to go, meaning it's the last to give you high readings.

I've got a food journal that I've been keeping since checking my BS so the doc can see what I've been eating.

Could pre-D cause my fastings to be elevated? Is it really pre-D if my PP numbers are fine?

My last A1C was 2 years ago and came back at 4.6 and I'm going to ask them to check the A1C again. Should I also request a GTT?

I'm totally confused and concerned that I will not get a proper diagnosis, whether it be "normal" or "pre-D" because my FG and my PP numbers do not agree with eachother.

Any insight?
Yes, you can have just an elevated fasting glucose wit prediabetes. Your doctor may want to get a glucose tolerance test and a hemoglobin a1c.

The treatment would be to continue our diet and exercise (aiming for 150 minutes per week --- 30 minutes 5 days a week.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes