Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 07:18 AM

171 posts, read 193,941 times

Advertisements

I've been doing pretty well. Lost 12 lbs in a month. Got another blood test and my sugar was 98. (This was in the evening). A month ago my fasting blood sugar was 244. When I check it, it usually between 70 and 100 and if I have any carbs it's around 125 to 130 and hour or 2 after but in the morning before I eat and after exercise it's around 150. Is that normal?
Also my machine is sometimea way off. I have the Bayer Countor. IThis morning I took it after exercise and it was 114. I took it a second time right away in a different finger and it was 152. If I get readinga that are similar than I usually count that as correct but if I get 2 different ones I take it a 3rd time and go with the higher number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 12:09 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Is that common with sugar monitors?! It seems like an awfully important thing to get such random readings.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-02-2016, 12:15 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
I've been doing pretty well. Lost 12 lbs in a month. Got another blood test and my sugar was 98. (This was in the evening). A month ago my fasting blood sugar was 244. When I check it, it usually between 70 and 100 and if I have any carbs it's around 125 to 130 and hour or 2 after but in the morning before I eat and after exercise it's around 150. Is that normal?
Also my machine is sometimea way off. I have the Bayer Countor. IThis morning I took it after exercise and it was 114. I took it a second time right away in a different finger and it was 152. If I get readinga that are similar than I usually count that as correct but if I get 2 different ones I take it a 3rd time and go with the higher number.
There is no way anyone can tell you what numbers are *your* normal, it is as individual as each individual who tests. If/when you have questions like this contact your Physician and talk to them, also check the battery in the meter. You should only be testing as often as directed by your Physician, any time you estimate using three separate readings you are recording inaccurate numbers which does not you nor your Physician have a true baseline range to give you the appropriate dose of medication.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:01 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
More often than not, it is the test strips that produce inaccurate results. You can contact the manufacturer and see what they say. Sometimes they will send you a new meter, strips or both or a testing solution to check the accuracy of the meter. It sounds like your tests are all over the place. Make sure to wash your hands before you do a test. Normal fasting BG should be between 70 and 100 for non diabetics. If it is 150 you are not well under control. If you do two tests one after another they should not vary any more than 5 points.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:40 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Are you washing your hands before testing? Sometimes if you have something on your hand like food particles or sweat, it can really affect the test. You can get alcohol swabs to use if you're testing somewhere that you don't have access to soap and water...I carry those if I'm going on a very long bike ride and planning to test my sugar at some point during the ride.

As far as higher readings first thing in the morning, that can be significant. You might be experiencing higher numbers because of dawn phenomenon. Dawn Phenomenon: American Diabetes Association® Basically, your body raises your blood sugar to tell you to wake up, which happens to everyone, not just diabetics, but our bodies don't deal with it as well on their own as a non-diabetic. Some people find that eating a snack with protein and no more than 15g carbs just before bed can help. Others might need to switch to an extended-release version of their meds (usually metformin). If it keeps happening, talk to your doctor.

For higher numbers after exercise, you should test an hour after exercise, because it will usually rise during exercise and then decrease afterwards. It depends on the exercise too...personally I find that cardio raises my BG a bit and I don't see any immediate change when I lift weights, but then my fasting BG is lower the next morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes