U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,730,212 times

Advertisements

Hello all

My doc may put me on Metformin(Glucophage) to help with my PCOS. I find that I'm able to control what I eat for the first half of the day, but come evening, I just lose it on most occasions. I'm not totally sure if there's something wrong with me, but the doc will be meeting with me Wednesday and is addressing all my labs and starting me on something. I may need a progesterone-only BC pill and metformin to help get me back on track.

I'm so scared of the side effects. Not because I think I'll die, but I just have to work and hope I can still function as I seem to be one of those people who always gets side effects from stuff.

Have any of you lost weigh on this? If so, how much and how long did it take? I've read MANY reviews of metformin where the person ate sensibly and lost anywhere from 20-45 pounds the first 3 months without too much effort. Most of them just lowered their carbs and had more protein/dairy with veggies and fruits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 08:43 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,801,379 times
20 to 45 pounds in three months? I haven't heard of anyone losing that amount of weight because of metformin. It's a nice thought, though.

I find that I'm starving in the evening, if I eat lunch too early. Try eating a later lunch and eat something to keep you feeling fuller, longer. Also, don't forget to eat a snack between meals to keep your glucose numbers level.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:22 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,730,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
20 to 45 pounds in three months? I haven't heard of anyone losing that amount of weight because of metformin. It's a nice thought, though.

I find that I'm starving in the evening, if I eat lunch too early. Try eating a later lunch and eat something to keep you feeling fuller, longer. Also, don't forget to eat a snack between meals to keep your glucose numbers level.
Have you tried taking it at night, instead? I heard that can help. I haven't started yet, but I'm worried. I hope I'm not sick as a dog at work.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Status: "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s giant metal chicken." (set 27 days ago)

5,273 posts, read 3,124,848 times
I was on metformin for several years. As to side effects, I found that I did better with the extended-release version. Immodium can be your friend in the beginning days, too. Start on Friday afternoon/evening so you can monitor effects on the weekend.

What worked for me was to lay out a low-carb meal plan, with plenty of vegetables - a couple of breakfasts, a couple of lunches, a few dinners. If you make your eating automatic, it will be easier to lose weight and to manage with metformin. If you're always trying to figure out what to eat, your eating plan can go awry really quickly. Good snacks are things like a handful of nuts (measure this, as most servings are 1/4 cup), 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with berries or tomato, 6 oz sugar free yogurt ... you want things that are slow-acting on blood sugar. I found that too many carbs increased my metformin's side effects.

HTH

Old 05-31-2011, 12:44 AM

16,473 posts, read 31,224,125 times
While I could not take Metformin for diabetes (gastric disturbance), I can take Janumet with no problem - it's Metformin and something else combined.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 AM

18,045 posts, read 23,016,546 times
I have been taking Metformin for over a year now and have had no side effects.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,801,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
Have you tried taking it at night, instead? I heard that can help. I haven't started yet, but I'm worried. I hope I'm not sick as a dog at work.
I do...one at lunch and one before bed. I have never had any side effects.

You're going to make yourself sick worrying so much about the medication. Do as another poster suggested and start your metformin on the weekend.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:03 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,904,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
Hello all

My doc may put me on Metformin(Glucophage) to help with my PCOS. I find that I'm able to control what I eat for the first half of the day, but come evening, I just lose it on most occasions. I'm not totally sure if there's something wrong with me, but the doc will be meeting with me Wednesday and is addressing all my labs and starting me on something. I may need a progesterone-only BC pill and metformin to help get me back on track.

I'm so scared of the side effects. Not because I think I'll die, but I just have to work and hope I can still function as I seem to be one of those people who always gets side effects from stuff.

Have any of you lost weigh on this? If so, how much and how long did it take? I've read MANY reviews of metformin where the person ate sensibly and lost anywhere from 20-45 pounds the first 3 months without too much effort. Most of them just lowered their carbs and had more protein/dairy with veggies and fruits.

I take Metfomin for PCOS as well although in my situation is a little different. I some bouts of hypogylcimeia instead of having elevated blood sugars. Which according to my doctor could be part of the reason why it took over 10 years of TTC before getting a diagnosis of PCOS. Anyway I started taking Metformin in March/April 2011. I have lost approx 20 pounds (and I am trying to lose more). My appetite is greatly reduced, and I do not crave sweets like I previously did. I have found that I actually crave veggies/fruits more now so that obviously helps with weight loss.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:14 PM

9,677 posts, read 10,941,681 times
I've taken Metformin for over two years, 2 in the morn and 2 at night, no weight loss for me.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:05 AM

654 posts, read 490,328 times
I had some initial weight loss from metformin. I think it was in part due to having diarrhea initally(sorry for the TMI), a slightly diminshed appetite and a sort of metallic taste. All those side effects went away though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes