Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:29 PM

22,577 posts, read 24,384,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
The problem with dietitians is that many of them give advice from the ADA that is terrible advice and will have you on insulin for the rest of your life.

Right on you are....eat that low fat/higher carb diet........and you get to stay on toxic diabetes meds the rest of your life.

The Mayo clinic is also insane on this issue. I was checking out their cookbook for Type 2 diabetics......yikes....same thing........recommending 45 percent of calories from carbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 09:37 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,607,770 times
A diabetic educator will not steer you wrong. All hospitals have them and all you need is an order from your doctor. Most insurances fully cover the cost.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:50 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,966,093 times
Quote:
I was pre-diabetic and I completely changed my eating style, cutting out all high glycemic foods 95% of the time. My last blood work showed my blood sugar as normal, but I plan to eat like this for the rest of my life to try to ensure I am never pre-diabetic again.

As a bonus, I am losing weight, effortlessly.

After the first few weeks, all food cravings go away. I never thought I'd be the type of person who sees a piece of cake and thinks, "Meh," but now I am.
Yes, indeed. It works!

Old 03-10-2012, 07:24 PM

18,643 posts, read 33,203,329 times
More than a few registered dieticians for diabetes will go with some food pyramid focusing on low-fat and "whole grains" with "good carbs" for over 50 percent of one's intake. This is a recipe for disaster for many people. I always thought that whole grains were better than refined, because I thought the fiber slowed the absorption. Well, that's not so. The whole grains have more nutrition in them then refined, but hit the system just like unrefined.
I notice that the diabetes and obesity "epidemics" really started happening in the early 1980s, when "low fat" became the words of the day. (Of course, this was around the same time people began getting ever-more screens to stare at, for work and play and cable TV and personal computers and office work and and and...)
A diabetic dietician I know recommends the Paleo diet, meaning no carbs if possible, many many leafy greens and lean protein, lots of lean protein. Now, I differ with her on legumes and fruits, but she has a point about carbs, refined carbs, and processed foods. I agree with the one writer who said, "If you have to read the label, don't buy it." Processed foods really aren't worth their metabolic effect.
Suggest anyone having a problem look up "metabolic syndrome." It's a lot more complex than "calories in/calories out/fewer sweets."

Old 03-10-2012, 08:40 PM

Today diabetic educators are generally smarter than that. Can't say you won't run into an old-school one but every profession has them. Mine helped a lot and wanted my carbs way down.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:16 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,777,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Today diabetic educators are generally smarter than that. Can't say you won't run into an old-school one but every profession has them.
I wish you were right but I think you are optimistic. A diabetes educator just visited my children's school and told them to eat lots of whole grains and not much meat. We are a Paleo family so I wasn't very happy.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:28 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,724,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Today diabetic educators are generally smarter than that. Can't say you won't run into an old-school one but every profession has them. Mine helped a lot and wanted my carbs way down.

I agree with topaz, though I've never seen a diabetic educator. I just think you got lucky and found a good one. Still I believe most would hold with the guidelines given by the medical center they work with, and those will be very close to the guidelines given by the ADA and the govt food pyramid. As a fer instance here, the guidelines given by webmd, which seems pretty mainstream to me, are that 50-60% of cals should come from carbs. I did a little figuring here and came up with at least 250 gms of carbs a day for a 2000 cal/day diet. (based on 4 cals/gm of carbs) And this is a recommended menu for the day from Mayo Clinic:
Quote:
Breakfast. Whole-wheat pancakes or waffles, one piece of fruit, 1 cup of low-fat milk.
Lunch. Chicken kabob, 1/2 cup of steamed broccoli, 1/2 cup of cooked rice, 1/2 cup of juice.
Dinner. Pasta primavera prepared with broccoli, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash and Parmesan cheese, 1 cup of low-fat milk.
Snacks. Six homemade crispy corn tortilla chips, 1/2 cup fresh vegetables with a seasoned garlic sauce.
Wow, and I've never heard of anyone eating pancakes or waffles without syrup either. My father was a type I diabetic and that breakfast alone would have laid him out flat. He ate sausage and eggs for breakfast every day of his life and I think the low-fat craze is what killed him at age 57. The doc had a fit about his breakfasts and had him switch to raisin bran with skim milk and he was dead within a year. We could always judge where his blood sugar was by his moods and he went from mornings being his best mood of the day to being the worst.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:37 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,777,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
My father was a type I diabetic and that breakfast alone would have laid him out flat. He ate sausage and eggs for breakfast every day of his life and I think the low-fat craze is what killed him at age 57. The doc had a fit about his breakfasts and had him switch to raisin bran with skim milk and he was dead within a year. We could always judge where his blood sugar was by his moods and he went from mornings being his best mood of the day to being the worst.
Raisin bran with skim milk? Your dad's doctor really failed him.

I watched a close friend's father follow ADA recommendations as his poorly controlled blood sugar first caused him to lose both legs, then an arm. He was about to lose his remaining arm when he died. He never questioned the ADA's reassurance that he could eat 50-60% carbs as long as he kept taking insulin to deal with all the blood sugar spikes.

The sad reality of ADA is that the processed food companies and the pharmaceutical companies have bought the association. That's why they recommend raisin bran + insulin instead of sausage + eggs.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,724,169 times
Quote:
The sad reality of ADA is that the processed food companies and the pharmaceutical companies have bought the association. That's why they recommend raisin bran + insulin instead of sausage + eggs.
Yep, that's why I quit buying magazines--b/c I realized that all of their advice, esp dietary advice, is terrible and only caters to the processed food industry--and the medical industry, which has absolutely no motivation to find a cure for diabetes when managed care is such a cash cow for them.

Now i'm not a diabetic but I would ask the diabetics on here: how many of you were offered the option of doing a diet and exercise program first before the doc considered putting you on drugs? I figure that when you first get your dx is when your motivation would be at an all-time high and that once you start the drugs, the doc will be very reluctant to take you off them, even if your numbers improve b/c doc will figure it's the drugs that are helping and won't want to mess with that. But I could be wrong.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:13 AM

I was told to improve my diet, exercise, and lose weight. Didn't do it. Same doc eventually had to put me on pills. Not his fault, MY stupidity.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes