Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 02:11 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times

Advertisements

I am type II and what they call a brittle diabetic. In other words, my glucos readings slam one way or the other. I was on 70/30 Novolin. I keep a journal and can show you exactly what I had to eat for the last 4 years. I would eat and my readings for the day were 140, 189, 110, 260. The next day, I would fix the exact same meals to see if I could duplicate the readings and I would be 290, 85, 160 and 300. Same food.

A month ago, the doctor switched me to Lantus on a set dose each day to be taken at bedtime. Then before each meal I would take a reading and use a sliding scale with fast acting Novolog. Talk about a major difference. The doctor started me off pretty sweet but I kick up my dose by 3 units, every 3 days and I've gradually been coming down. To give you an idea of how good this is working out, yesterdays readings were 223, 223, 228, 231. Keep in mind that the 4th reading is 2 hours after the evening meal. So you can see that the readings are rock solid. I'm eating the same meals that I've always fixed for myself. I'm single and live alone so there is no surprise cooking going on. hahaha

My question is, for Lantus users, are you getting the same kind of results that I am getting?

I am really liking the levels staying so even. In a week or so, I should be down to where I'm getting good readings of around 100. I have to call in and give my doctor the readings every 3 days. Last time I talked to him I asked if I could kick it up 4 units. Nope. He wants me to continue to kick it up 3 units, ever 3rd day. It has consistantly went down each time.

I have been a diabetic since 2005 and this is the first time I've had such even readings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 06:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I was on Lantus for a while but became allergic to something in it. My readings were always about the same but I was not brittle.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 PM

My readings today only varied 30 from high to low. I am getting outstanding results. I just hope they hold when I get down to where it should be.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:10 AM

Just an update, I've been kicking up my Lantus by 3 units, every 3rd day because the doctor started me out sweet. I think I've gotten to the amount I will need to take. Todays readings were 89 before breakfast. 120 before lunch. 205 before supper. and 256 2 hours after supper.

So I've got the right amount now. Now I need to modify my meals. A little more breakfast, a little less lunch and a lot less supper. I only take Lantus at bedtime. So now the only thing I can do is modify my food intake to even it out throughout the day.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:25 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Yeah, Lantus is a once-a-day shot, at bedtime. Are you counting carbs? It's amazing what can sneak into your diet. One online resource which will track them for you is www.fitday.com. Another is www.obestiyhelp.com, designed for people doing weight loss surgery. But it is free and I like their calorie/carb/protein tracker better than fitday's.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Yeah, Lantus is a once-a-day shot, at bedtime. Are you counting carbs? It's amazing what can sneak into your diet. One online resource which will track them for you is www.fitday.com. Another is www.obestiyhelp.com, designed for people doing weight loss surgery. But it is free and I like their calorie/carb/protein tracker better than fitday's.
Yes, I am counting carbs and much more. I probably have a more detailed journal than most folks do. Unless those websites can come in and watch me, I think I got it covered.

Yesterday total carb count was 93. Todays will be 86 when supper is done. I've kept this journal for over 4 years.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:43 PM

63 posts, read 131,264 times
Lantus is a long acting, "background" insulin, designed to even out your blood sugars throughout the day and it has worked for me very well.
I have been having some hypos in the morning lately and so my doctor has dropped my insulin doses and will monitor my A1C each month and adjust as necessary.

I take 2 doses each day, to create even more even blood sugar levels.

But your readings are a bit too high 2 hours after eating.
You really should not be having a reading more than 140 2 hours after a meal and if you are, you need to look at what you are eating, not necessarily just increasing your insulin dose.

Your doctor is of course the best person to consult but I know the ADA claims a reading of 180 2 hours after a meal is fine but the ADA is not remotely interested in keeping you healthy or managing your illness well - they have other interests.

I can recommend the following sites for easy to understand info on managing blood sugar and other useful diabetes info.
Blood Sugar 101
How Blood Sugar Control Works--And How It Stops Working
and here is a forum you might like to join if you don't know about it
The Diabetes Forum - Building a New Community to Serve Diabetics Online

Old 04-17-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ Vortex View Post
- snip -

But your readings are a bit too high 2 hours after eating.
You really should not be having a reading more than 140 2 hours after a meal and if you are, you need to look at what you are eating, not necessarily just increasing your insulin dose.

Your doctor is of course the best person to consult but I know the ADA claims a reading of 180 2 hours after a meal is fine but the ADA is not remotely interested in keeping you healthy or managing your illness well - they have other interests.

- snip
Thanks for the links, I've saved them so I can look them over.

You must have missed the part where I mentioned that they just switched me over and because there was no good conversion, the Dr started me out with a light dose. I have kicked it up 3 unit's every 3 days bringing it down gradually. At of yesterday, I talked with him and we decided to split it into two doses per day. 10pm and 10am. Today is the first day of that so my readings are going to be all over the place until my system settles in. At that time, I will continue to increase my dosages until the numbers are down where they need to be.

As far as looking at what I am eating, I probably watch my food intake more than most folks. I have a journal of every bite of food I've eaten in the last 4 years. My diabetes is not a result of most type II diabetics, but a result of my pancrease being damaged. So at times, my numbers jump for no apparent reason. For insnace, this morning, I was at 130 before breakfast. I ate 2 eggs, 1/4 cup of grits, and 1 piece of toast with margerine on it. At noon my blood sugar was 325. Make sense? Nope, doesn't to me or the doctor either, but that's what my pancrease does to me. A few years ago I was in the hospital working with the diatition every day. She would come in and we'd go over the previous days readings and she would make adjustments to my diet. I would read 115 prior to breakfast, 125 prior to lunch, 110 prior to supper, 140 at 8am and after that reading I would have another snack. Last insulin I took was before supper and it was 70/30 Novolin. By 10pm my blood sugar was at 40.

In January I was in the hospital. Had a normal reading at breakfast, ate a good breakfast, had a snack at 10am. At 11:30 they checked my blood sugar prior to lunch. It was 87. A little low, but lunch was coming in 30 minutes. Before lunch got there I was in trouble because my blood sugar was 37. No insulin since before breakfast.

So you see, my blood sugar is not easily contained and it's not necessarily what I eat, so much as it is what my pancrease decides to do today, or even this hour.

We are hoping that the Lantus will even this out a little better, and for the most part my reading have been more steady, albiet higher than what it should be, but it should drop down to better readings soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes