Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 04:49 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,604,581 times

Advertisements

Is it all the foods that we mentioned like rice & bean types, yet cooled to simply cold temps? If so, why has no one said this? My roommate brought this to my attention today, yet I never heard this. If this is that easy then all Type 2's could eat ANY complex carb/starch as long as they're cold.

I don't agree nor think it is true but he argues it is.

If you avoid rice/beans/etc. you , for sure, guarantee no spike in insulin but if you eat them -- you risk a spike no matter what the info says.

So for those that know/tried this, does it really mitigate the rise in insulin response via blood glucose readings remaining low, or is this bunk?

Ok, can anyone clear this up a bit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 09:59 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,792,906 times
I never heard if this theory. Does the roomie have any sources for this? Sounds like bunk to me!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:06 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,762,951 times
Best way, Maybe, to find out would be to test your sugar in the morning before coffee or breakfast. That way you test basically on an empty stomach then eat either 1/2 cup of rice hot or 1 cup hot. two hours later test your sugar again.

Wait until the next day and do the same thing only this time eat the rice (same amount as yesterday) while it's hot or warm. Do it exactly the same amount you eat and time you eat and test before and 2 hours later as the day before and that way you will get an idea as to if the temperature makes a difference. I doubt it does since those carbs don't just melt away from going to cold to hot. Watch if you put butter/salt to taste as it should be exactly the same except for the temp.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:18 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,036,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Type 2's could eat ANY complex carb/starch as long as they're cold

Old 04-08-2012, 09:30 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,567,180 times
Hum, sounds like a biological tin-foil-hat theory to me.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:50 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,785,426 times
Cold beans and rice would taste like crap to me so maybe it works b/c you quit eating them.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:43 PM

Haha, no honestly guys, google "Resistant Starches" in wiki & you'll find tons of info on it. There are 4 types supposedly. A R1, 2, 3, 4. Then there are different things involved in each type like beans or corn/maize, etc.

Then there's more mumbo jumbo. He has a big belly (my roomie) & is almost 70 in Aug., & cares less about how/what he eats. Yet he has a recurring kidney stone infection that he has taken a single round of anti-biotics for from the ER (he's even way too lazy, to even to go to a primary doc, to refer him to kidney doc but that is another story...) thus you see his "genuine caring" of nutrition in general.

He may even have this stone due to insulin resistance, as she sleeps asap after HUGE meals & carb laden like beans/rice/pastas & BIG pieces of bread like WHOLE french bread rolls, etc. Oh my word you need see HOW he eats to almost vomit.

Anyway, he claimed this stuff yest. so I had to look up & ask you all.
Ok, he'll say, "well it is out there I don't know why they (we posters) think it is not". But how to defend this vs him, when we all may agree it may be bunk?

Old 04-09-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Cold beans and rice would taste like crap to me so maybe it works b/c you quit eating them.
Wait til you hear this...

According to my roomie, ahem, "cold baked beans are what they eat at a picnic", so he says & adds, "cold beans are not something that are bad like bean porridge & our foods like this eaten back in our past".

Can you believe I live w/ this type food person? lol

My g/f here says, when he said this, "yeah, now that is a scientific answer, 'eaten back in our past', like that means alot".

I'm worried that even if beans are ok somehow, why eat them if not needed? I don't really care either way if in or out of my diet, so I could substitute w/ whey protein or something cleaner, if protein is the reason people eat them.

I have no desire to be a human diabetes/insulin experiment, as even while trying to find out if they're ok in me, I'm risking elevating my BG levels, yes?

Old 04-09-2012, 05:09 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,762,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Hum, sounds like a biological tin-foil-hat theory to me.

It is but the best way for anyone to prove it is to try it. First day hot second day cold. BTW I messed up how I typed that I meant to say cold for the next day. But yeah it is BS but still some people just need to see it for themselves. If the OP tries it this way it's safer and saves a lot of time wasted on eating all those carbs simply because they are eaten cold when all that will do is damage their health. Diabetes is not something to fool around with.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:25 AM

Also, soy (as in I eat Tempeh 2x/wk now) & legumes (eat peanuts/peanut butter/split green peas/ lentils, etc. a few x/wk too) reduce Type 2 risk, no? I see they also help stabilize blood sugar in those trying to prevent Type 2, from all I've read.

How can this info go both ways -- both bad AND good? Hmm, this confuses me. Ok, awaiting you guys to correct my thinking. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes