Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 06:20 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times

Advertisements

Reversal of Diet-Induced Insulin Resistance: Another Use for Aspirin?

Quote:
mplications: These experiments indicate that the IKKß complex is important in the development of insulin resistance. High doses of aspirin and other salicylate containing drugs inhibit the IKKß complex resulting in lowered blood glucose and insulin levels. These findings implicate an inflammatory process in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance in obesity and type 2 diabetes. These studies provide important insights into the development of insulin resistance and may lead to improvements in treatment or possibly prevention of insulin resistance and the resulting development of type 2 diabetes.
I thought this was interesting as the inflammatory response is certainly getting a lot of attention these days.

Last edited by stepka; 05-10-2012 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:16 PM

326 posts, read 704,100 times
I saw a seminar by Steven Shoelson who is also a big believer in the link between inflammation and obesity. JCI - Inflammation and insulin resistance

He is running trials with Salicylic acid and getting results with obesity. The key thing to note is it is not aspirin exactly. Aspirin is a modified salicyclic acid and the extra chemical group is responsible for the cox inhibition resulting in pain/swelling reduction but also works as a blood thinner. Shoelson's point was the anti-obesity component is with the salicylic acid and it would be dangerous to attempt to use aspirin for that purpose as you need very high levels.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 PM

Yes I noticed that you need high levels too and I think they're working on developing a drug that will do the same thing w/o the risk of taking too much aspirin. My question is this though--what is the chance of this working if you were to take aspirin as directed, at the maximum amount, for a week, if you're not diabetic and have about 30 lbs to lose? Just to get the anti-inflammatory process started? (BTW, I exercise a lot. Just pointing that out to deter those who are tempted to get on here and repeat the old mantra of eat less, move more. Yeah, doing that.)

I'm wondering b/c I've been eating healthy and lower carb (about 50 gms a day) for about 3 months now and maybe 8 lbs came off and that could have just been water weight. I'm sure I'm insulin resistant and maybe this is the nudge I could use. Can you tell I'm desperate?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:23 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,987,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes I noticed that you need high levels too and I think they're working on developing a drug that will do the same thing w/o the risk of taking too much aspirin. My question is this though--what is the chance of this working if you were to take aspirin as directed, at the maximum amount, for a week, if you're not diabetic and have about 30 lbs to lose? Just to get the anti-inflammatory process started? (BTW, I exercise a lot. Just pointing that out to deter those who are tempted to get on here and repeat the old mantra of eat less, move more. Yeah, doing that.)

I'm wondering b/c I've been eating healthy and lower carb (about 50 gms a day) for about 3 months now and maybe 8 lbs came off and that could have just been water weight. I'm sure I'm insulin resistant and maybe this is the nudge I could use. Can you tell I'm desperate?
In my experience, the best way to reverse insulin resistance is to eat a diet that won't cause as much inflammation. So, I no longer eat processed foods (which is really hard!). I've given up most grains and eat mostly vegetables, grass-fed and organic meats, and healthy fats. Wheat is the devil, IMO.

I've also recently been looking into cold thermogenesis. I will sit in a cold bath for 20 minutes or so a couple times a week. The cold helps to eliminate inflammation without taking drugs, which I think is preferable to taking medicines for many reasons.

I really don't think loading up on asprin is a good idea for weight loss. Trust me when I say I know how frustrating the weight loss process is. But, ultimately, I believe that a healthy body loses weight. It isn't that losing weight makes your body healthy; if you are healthy, your body will naturally drop weight. I think the best thing you can do is look into what caused you to become insulin resistant in the first place (which is most likely a high carb, "healthy whole grain" based diet), and address that.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:27 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,987,739 times
I wanted to mention that I know you said you've been eating lower carb. I think that is a good start. Just keep in mind that if you've damaged your body enough that you are insulin resistant (been there too), it is going to take time to undo that damage. Until your body has healed, I don't think you can really expect to lose a lot of weight. That has been my experience, at least.

I eliminated grains in November 2011. I'm just now starting to see real results on the scale. It has been tough to stick to eating non-processed foods (because they are not nearly as convenient as processed foods), but, it has made a difference in how I feel.

Also, if you're really working out intensely, keep in mind that the intense exercise can cause inflammation. So, depending on how intense you've been, it may be working against you to some degree.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:47 PM

326 posts, read 704,100 times
Schoelson's group was working to build a molecule that is like two salicylic acids stuck together so it may be coming down the line.

Still we need inflammation - it is necessary for muscular remodeling after exercise which means maintaining muscular health.

Stepka you may be doing a lot of exercise but if not done the right way it can easily yield no gains. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to hear my thoughts on the subject...

Old 05-11-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
In my experience, the best way to reverse insulin resistance is to eat a diet that won't cause as much inflammation. So, I no longer eat processed foods (which is really hard!). I've given up most grains and eat mostly vegetables, grass-fed and organic meats, and healthy fats. Wheat is the devil, IMO.

I've also recently been looking into cold thermogenesis. I will sit in a cold bath for 20 minutes or so a couple times a week. The cold helps to eliminate inflammation without taking drugs, which I think is preferable to taking medicines for many reasons.

I really don't think loading up on asprin is a good idea for weight loss. Trust me when I say I know how frustrating the weight loss process is. But, ultimately, I believe that a healthy body loses weight. It isn't that losing weight makes your body healthy; if you are healthy, your body will naturally drop weight. I think the best thing you can do is look into what caused you to become insulin resistant in the first place (which is most likely a high carb, "healthy whole grain" based diet), and address that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I wanted to mention that I know you said you've been eating lower carb. I think that is a good start. Just keep in mind that if you've damaged your body enough that you are insulin resistant (been there too), it is going to take time to undo that damage. Until your body has healed, I don't think you can really expect to lose a lot of weight. That has been my experience, at least.

I eliminated grains in November 2011. I'm just now starting to see real results on the scale. It has been tough to stick to eating non-processed foods (because they are not nearly as convenient as processed foods), but, it has made a difference in how I feel.

Also, if you're really working out intensely, keep in mind that the intense exercise can cause inflammation. So, depending on how intense you've been, it may be working against you to some degree.
Yes, that's the way I've been eating too. Mind you, my diet has never been horrible, at least not after I grew up and moved out of my parents house but that was years ago. I struggle with sugar addiction, but I have never been a soda drinker and I generally cook my own food. (Yeah, last summer I mastered baking homemade croissants and then turned them into the best cinnamon rolls I've ever tasted!) Still, I make an effort and this last 3 months has been grain-free and lower carb, with enough protein and veggies.

As for exercise, I try to do HIIT at least 1x/week, strength training at least 1x/week and social dancing about 2x/week for 3 hours at a time and always work up a sweat with that. One problem is that my plantar fasciitis is not going away and that seems to be related to inflammation and not sure if it would be better to stay off my feet for a little while or keep going to keep it loosened up. I'm sure you're right about the IR taking time to resolve and I find it shocking that it has taken that long for you--yow!

Oh, another thing that is interesting about my no-grain eating for the last 3 months is that generally I start to feel better right away when I clean up my eating habits and I get more energetic, but that has not happened this time around. That to me is the most discouraging part. I have been under a lot of stress this past 3 years and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it but I guess I thought it would be better by now, since the big stressful events more or less ended in January.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:01 PM

17,363 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes, that's the way I've been eating too. Mind you, my diet has never been horrible, at least not after I grew up and moved out of my parents house but that was years ago. I struggle with sugar addiction, but I have never been a soda drinker and I generally cook my own food. (Yeah, last summer I mastered baking homemade croissants and then turned them into the best cinnamon rolls I've ever tasted!) Still, I make an effort and this last 3 months has been grain-free and lower carb, with enough protein and veggies.

As for exercise, I try to do HIIT at least 1x/week, strength training at least 1x/week and social dancing about 2x/week for 3 hours at a time and always work up a sweat with that. One problem is that my plantar fasciitis is not going away and that seems to be related to inflammation and not sure if it would be better to stay off my feet for a little while or keep going to keep it loosened up. I'm sure you're right about the IR taking time to resolve and I find it shocking that it has taken that long for you--yow!

Oh, another thing that is interesting about my no-grain eating for the last 3 months is that generally I start to feel better right away when I clean up my eating habits and I get more energetic, but that has not happened this time around. That to me is the most discouraging part. I have been under a lot of stress this past 3 years and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it but I guess I thought it would be better by now, since the big stressful events more or less ended in January.
I had plantars fasciitis a couple of years ago and it got to the point where I needed to avoid exercise for a few months. I still ran around doing errands and that sort of thing, but no dedicated exercise. When I started exercising again, I put gels in my shoes and that seemed to help. To this day, I am careful not to bounce or land too hard on my feet because I do not want a recurrence of the PF.

In my own personal experience: I think you might be better off doing a daily 30 (or whatever you're ready for) minutes on the exercise bike. To get on top of IR, you need to get your cardiovascular system in good shape and daily cardio really helps with that. If your energy level isn't where you want it to be, you may need to add in some more complex carbs to your diet. Scary thought, I know, but we're not talking a ton of calories just enough to get you energized...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes