Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:21 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times

Advertisements

I bought the Freedon Free Style Lite by Abbott before I saw my dr. I was eager to see my numbers. She then gave me a script for all the Free Style things, strips, lancets etc. I now find out that my insurance won't pay for any of the Free Style... but will for the One Touch.

Anyway, anyone use the One Touch? Do youhave to use the code thingamajig? Easy to use? Prefer it to others or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 10:10 AM

Actually, never mind. I have read horrible reviews about several One Touch. There seems to be huge differences in readings, with only a minute or 2 apart from readings. I will use my own.

I guess, from what I have read is that the FDA allows a 20% diff. in reading/meters. That's not good.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:06 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
No, it's not! I have been using the Freedom Free Style Lite and before that, the Freedom Free Style, for many years. My readings before I go for lab work are always within about 10 points of what the blood test shows for glucose. Nothing is as accurate as a blood draw in a lab, but that's good enough for me. It was the brand prescribed.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
No, it's not! I have been using the Freedom Free Style Lite and before that, the Freedom Free Style, for many years. My readings before I go for lab work are always within about 10 points of what the blood test shows for glucose. Nothing is as accurate as a blood draw in a lab, but that's good enough for me. It was the brand prescribed.

Southern... does your insurance cover your free Style? I really like mine. I would have thought that insurance companies cover all known brands but I guess not.

Last edited by brava4; 05-12-2012 at 11:53 AM..

Old 05-12-2012, 12:47 PM

I used to have private insurance through a company that's only in the intermountain west; they covered all of it. Now I'm on Medicare and it's all covered.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:52 PM

Really your Medicare covers it all? My mother who was diagnosed at 76 says she has to pay 14.00 with her Medicare.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:33 PM

My mistake, it is my Part B that covers it after the deductible. When I was ready to retire, I asked one of the social workers at the hospital where I worked about options. Her opinion was that for anyone with a chronic health issue, straight Medicare with a supplement was much better than the advantage type plans. That's what I got and I have been very happy with it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:46 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I bought the Freedon Free Style Lite by Abbott before I saw my dr. I was eager to see my numbers. She then gave me a script for all the Free Style things, strips, lancets etc. I now find out that my insurance won't pay for any of the Free Style... but will for the One Touch.

Anyway, anyone use the One Touch? Do youhave to use the code thingamajig? Easy to use? Prefer it to others or not?
My husband had a similar experience with his insurance and the Freestyle strips (which are the only brand that work with his insulin pump) anyway he found out that his insurance did cover them just not with the pharmacy rider. We had to purchase them through a DME provider using the medical insurance rider we ended up paying $49 for 3 months worth.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:23 PM

sherrenee.... You know, that is what one of the insurance people told me too. That the equipment is considered Durable Medical Equipment. He told me how to print off claims sheets but it was all very confusing. When I called to find out where to go to get the supplies, they gave me a local name of a supplier who turned out to be an supplier of orthopedic limbs. The woman on the other end of the phone sorta laughed when I told her what I needed.

I called back yet again and got such a run around.

Can you tell me who/what a DME provider is? I would like my insurance to cover some of this.
Thanks for any inof.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:28 AM

295 posts, read 832,121 times
Brava, I filed an appeal with my insurance company and got the FreeStyle Lite strips covered...but only for one year. After that, the insurance company again balked and insisted on the One Touch. I hate the One Touch and it's more expensive than the FreeStyle Lite (I have a FreeStyle Lite card that kicks in some $$$, not much but enough to put the strips lower than the One Touch.). I gave up fighting this year 'cause my doctor balked at faxing back the insurance company form, saying the One Touch was just as good. Sigh. It's a fight, honestly. I wonder if the insurance companies have a deal with One Touch...they must. Tho why they want me to pay more for One Touch Strips vs the FreeStyle is beyond me.

So I now buy my FreeStyle Lite strips on Amazon and have had very good luck with that. But it doesn't apply to my deductible (which is high), that's the only bad thing. Still, I want to use the FreeStyle and won't be forced into the One Touch.

In addition, I also use the WalMart ReliOn Micro Meter with good results. It's my back-up meter that I carry with me. The meter was about $12 (might have gone up a little since I bought it a couple years back) and 50 ReliOn Micro meter strips are about $20. It's almost as accurate as my FreeStyle Lite (within a couple points) and I'm happy with that as a second meter.

Bear in mind that all meters are allowed to be off by up to 20%, so what you're looking for when you test your blood sugar is a trend, really. Tho my meters are almost spot-on with my labs. I always test my bg at the same time my labs are drawn every 3 months.

If you want to file an appeal with your insurance company it's worth a shot tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes