Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 04:00 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a theory? I understand eating fast causing overeating but can't see how "f too fast" = diabetes? I tend to rush meals (too often ) so I've slowed asap now but worry HOW this works? I've been fasting for 16 hrs daily, then eating during the 8hr left window of 24 hr day.

But now need to slow down I guess. This gets too scientific just trying to ward off disease w/ each study that comes out almost daily.

Thanks for your guys input.

PS - I put in this forum but if wrong please move. I thought it'd get more general attention & open up ideas/comments in the wellness area. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I am diabetic and never heard any theory about eating too fast. When you eat too fast, you do lose track of the body's satiety signal and can overeat. This alone will not cause Type II DM. However, if you constantly overeat and eat way too many carbs, after some years you will gain weight and develop the metabolic syndrome which can lead to Type II DM.

Your eating pattern is not healthy. You need 3 meals per day, spread out over your waking period. Starving yourself for 16 hrs means you WILL eat too much, too fast.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:19 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I am diabetic and never heard any theory about eating too fast. When you eat too fast, you do lose track of the body's satiety signal and can overeat. This alone will not cause Type II DM. However, if you constantly overeat and eat way too many carbs, after some years you will gain weight and develop the metabolic syndrome which can lead to Type II DM.

Your eating pattern is not healthy. You need 3 meals per day, spread out over your waking period. Starving yourself for 16 hrs means you WILL eat too much, too fast.
*** My original question didn't make sense. I meant is it "eating too FAST" in itself OR "eating too fast CAUSING lb gain", because you'll overeat before you realize you were really full & just pigged out? Sorry for the inferred error.

Hmm, well the other day on the Sciencedaily website, I think, there was a study that showed that eating too fast increases about two-fold or more the risk of diabetes. Thus, this is where I'm getting this concern.

It makes sense, eating too fast doesn't let body know that brain is full. But is it something w/ digestion or hormones released w/ gastric juices secreted or something like that?

Ok, I'll refer back to the study & look at it again. Thanks everyone.

The thing of eating, also came on their website, as mice that ate ONLY after 16 hrs of daily fasting not only ate less but had less liver & other organ damage. It makes sense that you''ll take in less, as you don't have all day to keep spiking insulin, & will burn more fat as you're needing to in order to have energy w/out consant food intake.

I'll again look at this too. Has no one heard either these two studies?

Old 05-25-2012, 06:23 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
*** My original question didn't make sense. I meant is it "eating too FAST" in itself OR "eating too fast CAUSING lb gain", because you'll overeat before you realize you were really full & just pigged out? Sorry for the inferred error.

Hmm, well the other day on the Sciencedaily website, I think, there was a study that showed that eating too fast increases about two-fold or more the risk of diabetes. Thus, this is where I'm getting this concern.

It makes sense, eating too fast doesn't let body know that brain is full. But is it something w/ digestion or hormones released w/ gastric juices secreted or something like that?

Ok, I'll refer back to the study & look at it again. Thanks everyone.

The thing of eating, also came on their website, as mice that ate ONLY after 16 hrs of daily fasting not only ate less but had less liver & other organ damage. It makes sense that you''ll take in less, as you don't have all day to keep spiking insulin, & will burn more fat as you're needing to in order to have energy w/out consant food intake.

I'll again look at this too. Has no one heard either these two studies?
I've not heard of that study, but I do know the reason I was told to eat a bedtime snack, even though I don't like to -- liver dump. All your food is transformed into the glucose for our bodies to use as fuel. If you don't refuel your body (eat), your liver will create that glucose for you and dump it into your blood stream. So your blood glucose will spike anyway.

What prevents blood glucose spikes is regular meals and snacks that are complete tiny meals within the standards of carbs you are supposed to ingest. Keep in mind here -- when I say carbs I mean ALL carbs, not just breads or sweets. Veggies and fruits are carbohydrates, and those carbs need to be counted too.

So my snack is a tiny meal -- a little cottage cheese, some sliced tomato and 4 triscuits -- about 15 carbs.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:17 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
What prevents blood glucose spikes is regular meals and snacks that are complete tiny meals within the standards of carbs you are supposed to ingest. Keep in mind here -- when I say carbs I mean ALL carbs, not just breads or sweets. Veggies and fruits are carbohydrates, and those carbs need to be counted too.
Movintime, I can't answer your original question but I can defend your eating plan. It's called Intermittent Fasting or Alternate Day Fasting and science is on your side. Alternate-day fasting and chronic disease prevention: a review of human and animal trials
Quote:
© 2007 American Society for Clinical Nutrition
Alternate-day fasting and chronic disease prevention: a review of human and animal trials1,2,3
Moderator cut: quote a snippet And give link
Calorie restriction (CR) and alternate-day fasting (ADF) represent 2 different forms of dietary restriction. ............................ In terms of diabetes risk, animal studies of ADF find lower diabetes incidence and lower fasting glucose and insulin concentrations, effects that are comparable to those of CR. Human trials to date have reported greater insulin-mediated glucose uptake but no effect on fasting glucose or insulin concentrations. ........................
In short, the science looks promising, but if you take meds that depend on you eating at least 3x/day, of course it would be a bad idea. Still, I've been doing this--I call it "creative meal skipping" and I can tell that my insulin sensitivity has already improved, just by the way I feel after eating carbs. And I feel much better than I did a month ago when I was so faithfully following my 50 gm/day lower carb diet with regular meals and I'm losing more weight. Yet a month ago I would have echoed what you both just said. Movintime, have you lost weight and how much?

BTW, to do alternate day fasting, as is used in the study, you would skip breakfast and lunch one day and eat supper, and the next day you would eat all three meals, so you're never going a whole day w/o food.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-13-2012 at 06:01 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 09:59 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Movintime, I can't answer your original question but I can defend your eating plan. It's called Intermittent Fasting or Alternate Day Fasting and science is on your side. Alternate-day fasting and chronic disease prevention: a review of human and animal trials
In short, the science looks promising, but if you take meds that depend on you eating at least 3x/day, of course it would be a bad idea. Still, I've been doing this--I call it "creative meal skipping" and I can tell that my insulin sensitivity has already improved, just by the way I feel after eating carbs. And I feel much better than I did a month ago when I was so faithfully following my 50 gm/day lower carb diet with regular meals and I'm losing more weight. Yet a month ago I would have echoed what you both just said. Movintime, have you lost weight and how much?

BTW, to do alternate day fasting, as is used in the study, you would skip breakfast and lunch one day and eat supper, and the next day you would eat all three meals, so you're never going a whole day w/o food.
stepka, I do "creative meal skipping" as well. I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2, and I am feeling 100% better eating this way! Basically, instead of eating as soon as I get up, I delay it, and eat closer to the lunch hour. I also started doing my exercise before eating the first meal of the day. I can't believe what a difference this small change in lifestyle has made for me. I take my meds at night, so this works out great for me.

Once in awhile, I try to do a 20-24 hour fast, but more often than not I break down and eat a little bit before the time period is up. At least on those days I end up eating a loss less than usual.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
stepka, I do "creative meal skipping" as well. I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2, and I am feeling 100% better eating this way! Basically, instead of eating as soon as I get up, I delay it, and eat closer to the lunch hour. I also started doing my exercise before eating the first meal of the day. I can't believe what a difference this small change in lifestyle has made for me. I take my meds at night, so this works out great for me.
Supposedly the workout before eating compounds the effects of the fast and the exercise and working out during a 16 hour fast will cut as much fat as fasting for 24 hours.

I found a link to an article by a man who "cured" his type II diabetes by fasting. Basically what he did was to not eat until his BS reading came back to normal, even if that wasn't until evening. Lee Shurie
Quote:
How I Defeated Type II Diabetes
Upon waking in the morning I tested my sugar levels and found they were typically in the 150 mg/dl range. I expected them to come down by noon, but was surprised that they stayed above normal for quite some time. As the day went on I became worried (and hungry!), but I held off eating until nearly 6 PM, when my blood sugar level was normal. At this point I wanted to eat a huge meal, but I ate a normal dinner instead. As the evening progressed I snacked on healthy, low glycemic foods.After following this regimen for days, which stretched into weeks, I discovered it provided whole new level of physical energy and mental alertness.
I might add that he was already eating a decent low glycemic diet and exercising but each of those only helped his BS by about 5%. It wasn't until he began fasting that things normalized.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 AM

178 posts, read 355,485 times
I haven't heard about this theory that eating fast can cause diabetes!! Yeah but I do heard that eating food in a hurry or eating a plenty of food at a time leads to overeating hence make your metabloic rate slow, which then cause the absortion of calories results in overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes