Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 09:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

I am sick of wearing Nikes or new Balance or even Brooks. They all look so sporty and I don't want to wear rx diabetic shoes. i have not worn "girl shoes" in many years but I would like to try something a little less dorky than sport shoes. any recommendations? my feet are dead, I can wear any kind of sandals cause my toes don't grip. I can't even wear slip on no back shoes cause of the inability of my toes to grip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 11:57 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Clarks makes many shoes that are both comfortable and nicer looking than the Rx ones. Also SoftWalks but they are more expensive. I personally don't like Sofft. You can see many styles on Zappos to get an idea.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
I'm not a woman, but maybe I can help.

When I first started having problems with my feet, the Doctors advised on different types of shoes that would help. I went that route and after a year or so, they were not enough, so they sent me out to an Orthopedic outfit in town. What they do is build inserts that are computer matched to your feet. They take molds, they have you stand on this machine that has a thousand needles in it and they apply air pressure to the needles until it lifts your foot. They freeze in that postition so that when you step off, your foot imprint is still in the needles, however it will give them indications of pressure points. They take that reading and consult your doctor. Then they sit down with you and discuss where you have discomforts. The final things are, they have you pick out shoes from their catalog. These shoes are normal manufacturers that build their shoes with a deeper cavity inside. You pick out the shoes you want and they order then. Then they start building your inserts.

The point is, you select normal shoe manufacturers. Right now, I am wearing New Balance Tennis Shoes, with orthopedic inserts. I feel like I am walking on a cloud. These shoes do not look any different than their normal line of shoes. In some cases, depending on severity of pressure points, you can use normal shoes, but pull the current pad inside and put their pads in.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:48 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Munro American are very nice shoes that are comfortable and beautiful. Be prepared to faint at the price. But I think they will last you, too.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:07 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
I went with Nurses Shoes that looked like sneakers and I am quite comfortable in Birkenstock but they can be quite expensive. Currently I am wearing a $5.00 pair of canvas sneakers from Walmart but the only time I wear actual shoes is when I have to go out in public, otherwise I have no shoes on at all.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:45 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I'm not a woman, but maybe I can help.

When I first started having problems with my feet, the Doctors advised on different types of shoes that would help. I went that route and after a year or so, they were not enough, so they sent me out to an Orthopedic outfit in town. What they do is build inserts that are computer matched to your feet. They take molds, they have you stand on this machine that has a thousand needles in it and they apply air pressure to the needles until it lifts your foot. They freeze in that postition so that when you step off, your foot imprint is still in the needles, however it will give them indications of pressure points. They take that reading and consult your doctor. Then they sit down with you and discuss where you have discomforts. The final things are, they have you pick out shoes from their catalog. These shoes are normal manufacturers that build their shoes with a deeper cavity inside. You pick out the shoes you want and they order then. Then they start building your inserts.

The point is, you select normal shoe manufacturers. Right now, I am wearing New Balance Tennis Shoes, with orthopedic inserts. I feel like I am walking on a cloud. These shoes do not look any different than their normal line of shoes. In some cases, depending on severity of pressure points, you can use normal shoes, but pull the current pad inside and put their pads in.

Are such shoes covered by Medicare/insurance?

Old 09-04-2012, 09:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
San Antonio Shoes - Products and Styles

Special diabetic shoes can be paid for by insurance once a year. But not SAS shoes.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:53 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I went with Nurses Shoes that looked like sneakers and I am quite comfortable in Birkenstock but they can be quite expensive. Currently I am wearing a $5.00 pair of canvas sneakers from Walmart but the only time I wear actual shoes is when I have to go out in public, otherwise I have no shoes on at all.

Going barefoot for a diabetic can be a very dangerous thing. If you have neuropathy your feet are numb and you can't feel blisters, splinters and all sorts of thingss.

Once I was at the beach and wore slide on sketcher to walk on the beach for several days. One evening I took my shoe off and it was full of blood where a horrible blister on the underside of my toe burst. It was a hot mess with sand and dirt and blood and raw skin. I had checked the underside of my feet the night before.

I went immediately to the emergency room as soon as we got home and I damn near lost my toe.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I never go barefoot b/c I had a 2 in soft cat hair work its way into my foot by capillary action. Never felt it until the infection was established.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:25 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Are such shoes covered by Medicare/insurance?
Yes, 1 pair of shoes/boots per year with 3 sets of inserts is what I was told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes