Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times

Advertisements

Great news! You are clearly doing something right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
The great thing about this, it helps my family, too. We all eat pretty much the same thing, whatever's in the house. My DS said today he just had water to drink with lunch! We learn by example! I simply can't believe what we, as a nation, are doing to ourselves. Every night, the line at the drive thru at MCD is miles long. We're too lazy to even walk in for our fat burgers What kills me is when some 2-ton tubbo orders double everything with cheese on top, then, a diet coke Hey, there's a balanced meal!

Take a good look at the grocery aisles. 80-90% processed foods---yeech! Why do we need koo koo berries for breakfast, yum yums for lunch, and perfect pizza for dinner? Then, we run to the doctor, who gives us an RX. Ok, I saw a talk show where they said the RX are actually a permission slip to eat crap. Have diabetes? Don't worry, here, take this pill, eat whatever. Have high blood pressure? forget about diet, exercise, here, mr 300 pound bowling ball, take this RX and forget it! etc, etc.

Hey, I'm not knocking taking RX, I sure do, but try to balance life stype changes along with it, don't just take a pill and forget it!

Old 09-14-2012, 01:30 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
God bless you, Marylee!

I think you have already won half the battle by 1.) recognizing your diabetic problem; 2.) resolving to do something about it - and getting those blood glucose numbers lower; and 3.) getting professional help.

I once read somewhere on www.diabetesforum.org that Type 2 Diabetes is actually one of the more 'merciful' diseases because we have it in our power to control it ... and in my case, suppress it into remission. But you have to be vigilant.

To us diabetics, carbs are the enemy. Seriously cut down on carbs: bread, pasta, potatoes, desserts, rice, pizza, etc. Eat all the steak and chicken and fish and veggies and salads you want.

Good luck and all my best wishes and prayers are with you!

Old 09-14-2012, 10:37 AM

Many years ago I worked as a clerk/assistant in a major teaching hospital. I spent a lot of time assisting the dietitian. I couldn't believe the patients who were in complete denial. Look, they were already thoroughly diagnosed as diabetic by the time they came to us for dietary instruction. they spent about 90% of their time wailing and crying---oh, you tell me I can never eat anything good again? Oh,

Look, the dietitian wasn't a counselor, she had a lot of good information to give, that could help a great deal. No one has a cure, or they wouldn't be there! I remembered thinking if they would just SHUT UP AND LISTEN! No, I'm not mean-spirited, really....but why schedule a diabetic education session and come and P & M the whole time? I mean, the dietitian couldn't finish a sentence without being overtalked, etc. I even helped with classes, etc, I don't think I really got through to anyone. But, I did learn a lot that is now helping me! It takes time and effort, change doesn't come in a day or two, but its really not so tough. I'm somewhat excited to try new recipies, etc. Like someone said, at least diabetes is treatable!

Old 09-14-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Many years ago I worked as a clerk/assistant in a major teaching hospital. I spent a lot of time assisting the dietitian. I couldn't believe the patients who were in complete denial. Look, they were already thoroughly diagnosed as diabetic by the time they came to us for dietary instruction. they spent about 90% of their time wailing and crying---oh, you tell me I can never eat anything good again? Oh,

Look, the dietitian wasn't a counselor, she had a lot of good information to give, that could help a great deal. No one has a cure, or they wouldn't be there! I remembered thinking if they would just SHUT UP AND LISTEN! No, I'm not mean-spirited, really....but why schedule a diabetic education session and come and P & M the whole time? I mean, the dietitian couldn't finish a sentence without being overtalked, etc. I even helped with classes, etc, I don't think I really got through to anyone. But, I did learn a lot that is now helping me! It takes time and effort, change doesn't come in a day or two, but its really not so tough. I'm somewhat excited to try new recipies, etc. Like someone said, at least diabetes is treatable!

OK, I didn't word this so well. when I said the dietitian isn't a counselor, that's not what I meant. she is very much a counselor, of dietary information. She also is there to help the patient deal with psychological issues. It is a lifestyle change, and involves much that isn't attached to just what foods to eat. Its a major change in shopping, budgeting, meal planning, etc, etc what about other family members with different needs, etc.

But I really got sick of the patients who dominated the whole session with their "issues" If someone tells you to eat regular, evenly spaced meals, well...........do it! That's up to them, not us. I remembered a lady who had a house built without a kitchen! that's right, no kitchen, not even a small kitchenette. She ate out all the time. then she sat there crying how could she eat the way "we" wanted her to do. For her situation, she was on insulin, she needed a nighttime snack, or her BS could drop dangerously during the night. Well, build a kitchen? I mean, this lady was loaded, not a charity patient, she could well-afford to change her housing to meet her health needs. Or, perhaps, get a small fridge/microwave to store snack items? Look, whatever, it was up to HER to accomodate her needs, not us. She had the information, now, deal with it. Instead, she just kept crying WE were ruining her life.......... The dietitian really tried, but she was just an a$$!

Old 09-14-2012, 01:51 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Man that bg of 598 would have scared me to death and I would be reachig for the insulin in a hurry. Be glad you don't have to shoot up e or 4 times a day.

any doctor who has a sheet of paper with A1C of 16 and then says "Your Bg is slightly elevated" is not a good doctor. Do you know how high that is? In the stratosphere............................you are very lucky woman and I'm glad you are having good results.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:01 PM

[quote=no kudzu;26093465]Man that bg of 598 would have scared me to death and I would be reachig for the insulin in a hurry. Be glad you don't have to shoot up e or 4 times a day.

any doctor who has a sheet of paper with A1C of 16 and then says "Your Bg is slightly elevated" is not a good doctor. Do you know how high that is? In the stratosphere............................you are very lucky woman and I'm glad you are having good results.[/quote

Ummm....she said it was EXTREMELY elevated, and we needed to take immediate action. I was expecting something a bit more drastic than a starter dose of glyburide, and told to watch the diet --- although she did go into diet in great detail. I expected insulin, hospitalization, then wean off to oral agents, etc. Well, its a balancing act. When I was on metformin I kept vomiting, ended up in the ER with gastric distress. I have responded immediately to the treatment I was put on, so.....keep going in that direction. Believe me, I'm staying on top of it!

Old 09-17-2012, 10:54 AM

Today I woke up to-----

127 Hurray for me!

A few weeks ago, fasting was around 350, during thre day, spiked to 500+.

Of course, 127 is not super-great, but its hoovering around normal.

Also, I can walk! If anyone has followed my various threads over the years, you might be familiar with my balance issues. I fell twice for no reason, and have been terribly unsteady since then. Today, I just got up and walked. Previoiusly, I would hang onto furniture, use a cane, etc. My balance is steady now. I'm elated, perhaps now I will go to the mall? Need to do some damage to our credit cards!

Old 09-27-2012, 04:12 PM

Howdy, folks!

I'm the OP, who had BG readings of 500+

Today, my fasting BG was 107!

That's in less than one month! I've been taking Glyburide, watching the diet. I'm lucky mine responds so well to treatment. I'm on my way to better health! Hurray for me!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:54 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Howdy, folks!

I'm the OP, who had BG readings of 500+

Today, my fasting BG was 107!

That's in less than one month! I've been taking Glyburide, watching the diet. I'm lucky mine responds so well to treatment. I'm on my way to better health! Hurray for me!
That is fantastic!!!! You are very lucky. Keep up the great work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes