Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:47 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

My doctor told me to test 4x day, then wrote an RX for 90 strips, 3 refills. That's a 3 month supply with 3 refills, supposed to last a year. That's ONE per day! Then, as usual, they just forget to order lancets.

I've had this happen with 2 other doctors. I write down EXACTLY what I need for RX, have it typed out, stick it under their noses, still, they simply don't seem to get it straight. They give you that little starter kit, which has 10 strips and 7 lancets, then say test 3x day. I had to argue with the "nurse" that 10 strips wouldn't last a month, she got all huffy and finally called in for more, but, that's the local pharmacy, not mail order.

They act like those strips are gold and you don't deserve them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 05:50 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
I don't know if you have Medicare paying for your strips, but, I think they will only pay for a maximum amount unless you submit a detailed testing log.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:01 PM

no, I'm on Blue Cross. But even with Medicare, surely they would allow more than one/day? That's what she wrote

90 strips 3 refills that comes out to ONE/day! How in heck can one keep control of their diabetes if they don't have the supplies to test? What gripes me is, this is the 3rd doctor I've dealt with for diabetes. I really LIKE this new doctor, but its her office staff that simply refuses to write for enough strips. They gave me that little starter kit, which has 10 strips and 7 lancets, and insisted it should last one month. I had to argue with the "nurse" there's no way 10 strips can last one month, unless I use them every 3rd day. Then, they never want to order lancets---what am I supposed to do, use a sewing needle

Old 09-20-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I don't know if you have Medicare paying for your strips, but, I think they will only pay for a maximum amount unless you submit a detailed testing log.

What would the log be like? That little book you write your numbers in, or my meter prints out graphs, etc.

Also, you don't always get a good sample and sometime have to re-test. I can see why many diabetics simply give up---either buy strips or food!

Old 09-21-2012, 05:24 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
MaryleeII, Supplement your supplies from Walmart. Walmart has made it very affordable for people that don't have any insurance. Check it out on line.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
MaryleeII, Supplement your supplies from Walmart. Walmart has made it very affordable for people that don't have any insurance. Check it out on line.

Good idea, but, I don't think Walmart carries my brand Accu Check. I might just start over and buy the Walmart brand meter and strips. That meter prints out in the doctor's office, she said NOT to get any other brand because she can't print it ou I will just tell her the price difference, which would not happen if she wrote the RX correctly, but hey, I'm not made of money!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:55 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My doctor told me to test 4x day, then wrote an RX for 90 strips, 3 refills. That's a 3 month supply with 3 refills, supposed to last a year. That's ONE per day! Then, as usual, they just forget to order lancets.

I've had this happen with 2 other doctors. I write down EXACTLY what I need for RX, have it typed out, stick it under their noses, still, they simply don't seem to get it straight. They give you that little starter kit, which has 10 strips and 7 lancets, then say test 3x day. I had to argue with the "nurse" that 10 strips wouldn't last a month, she got all huffy and finally called in for more, but, that's the local pharmacy, not mail order.

They act like those strips are gold and you don't deserve them
Because your insurance company will only cover so many, so they write them for that and save the fight with the insurance company for later.

Keep talking to them and eventually they will get it right.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:05 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Because your insurance company will only cover so many, so they write them for that and save the fight with the insurance company for later.

Keep talking to them and eventually they will get it right.
I am thinking that they would write it the way that you are supposed to take it and when the pharmacy tries to fill it, it is denied. From there, the pharmacy tells your dr it has been denied and they need to call your insurance company or fill out an appeal type form.

They can do this, it is a hassle.. Next time you go in make sure to verbalize to him that if he needs you to check it x amt of times per day, you need a larger quantity.

Normally they will just need to give your insurance company some of your lab levels, the meds you have taken, etc, etc.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:40 PM

Well, regardless, it should be more then one/day!

Each meter is coded to its own strips, you can't just buy "cheap" strips to work with any meter. That's how they get you---free meter and charge sky-high for the strips!

Also, can't they get it through their heads, you need as many lancets as strips! Why give you a cute little starter kit with 10 strips and 7 lancets Guess I'll raid my sewing box and use a needle!

They keep talking about how serious diabetes is (and it is), then do everything they can to stand between you and proper care.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:07 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Well, regardless, it should be more then one/day!

Each meter is coded to its own strips, you can't just buy "cheap" strips to work with any meter. That's how they get you---free meter and charge sky-high for the strips!

Also, can't they get it through their heads, you need as many lancets as strips! Why give you a cute little starter kit with 10 strips and 7 lancets Guess I'll raid my sewing box and use a needle!

They keep talking about how serious diabetes is (and it is), then do everything they can to stand between you and proper care.
My insurance company pays for one kind of strips, lancets and meter. My doctor gave me another meter and intro package of strips and I found out how expensive strips were for my free meter and freaked. The pharmacist was the one that let me know my insurance wanted me to use what ever it is I use.

Doctors deal with so many insurances they can't keep it straight.

I was also told I could reuse lancets at least twice. The first year I was diagnosed I got several boxes of lancets -- I'm still using them up.

I also check on my arm. Less painful than my finger and since I'm pretty stable I don't need to use my finger to stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes