Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I already knew I had neuropathy but I went to the neuroloist to confirm. He did nerve testing, etc, and confirmed what I already knew.

He gave me a prescription for Gabapentin for the pain but I read about the side effects and I'm not going to get the prescription filled. I would rather cure it than just take a pill for the pain.

Does anyone know of any "cure" for neuropathy? Does anyone here do anything to relieve the pain, etc, that doesn't involve pills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
There is no cure and that is the best drug. It can be sedating so take it at night.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Don't you think everybody would rather cure a condition than take a pill to live with it? Of course we would. If a pill will help us deal with something which cannot be cured than so be it. neurontin offers some relief. Don't take it during the day if you drive or aren't ready to be dopey. It is the reality. I've known people who actually have been cured of diabetes who still have neuropathy. reality.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:09 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I have a genetic form of PN......extensive nerve damage throughout my body.

A lot of the drugs given to treat PN work by amping down the signaling from the CNS.....yikes, not for me.......I am already weak enough.

What I use when I have bad pain is high-dosage Vitamin C....usually start with 2-5 grams.........seems to work quiet good for the pain.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Don't you think everybody would rather cure a condition than take a pill to live with it? Of course we would. If a pill will help us deal with something which cannot be cured than so be it. neurontin offers some relief. Don't take it during the day if you drive or aren't ready to be dopey. It is the reality. I've known people who actually have been cured of diabetes who still have neuropathy. reality.

Of course WE would but would the doctors and pharmaceutical companies? No. Reality.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:52 AM

178 posts, read 355,287 times
Hey there! there are now variety of treatments available for neuropathy. other than pills and cream there are therapies and special diets that help to reduce pain and recover it. Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) is widely used to treat neuropathy, regularly. but you cant take any particular medication on your own for this. I would suggest that you should consult any other doctor if you are afraid of taking the meds which is prescribed by your doctor.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:28 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
I must add my bit: I developed type I diabetes some 15 years ago (a true surprise; my doctor said it was due to a severe bacterial infection I had, which damaged my pancreas).

Anyway, a year ago I was having severe numbness affecting my fingertips (not all at once, but slowly, over the course of a year or two, I guess). While I did not get tested for diabetic neuropathy, I ended up (some six months ago) reading a book by Dr. Bernstein (who developed Type I diabetes when he was 12 years old, in 1948, became a MD due to his frustration about the lack of information about truly controlling diabetes).

Anyway, I began a very low carb diet (no more than 18 carbs per day) based on his book. My fingers are now back to normal.

This book really opened my eyes about what is being taught to diabetics by more established agencies. Just the other day I was reading "Diabetic Living", a magazine. They had a recipe for some lemon desert, with the nutritional information stating that each serving had 36 carbs! It is as Dr. Bernstein said: diabetics are, in the main, told to avoid 'sugar', and not being taught that carbs (including sugar) comes in many forms.

Mind, I am not stating that you do not take the prescribed medication. I do not know your exact situation. However, at the least, start reading, and start getting rid of the carbs. I was afraid of telling my doctor about my fingers (and some other parts of the body) for fear of having to start yet another medication. Now, I don't have to.

Here is the Amazon link to Dr. Bernsteins' book:

Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars: Richard K. Bernstein: 9780316182690: Amazon.com: Books

Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 PM

Well, I decided NOT to take the meds because of the potential side effects. I'm still having so much pain, burning, pins & needles, etc. My feet also get ice cold (feeling almost like frostbite) and I have to wrap my feet in a throw blanket sometimes.

What I'm wondering is: Why are my feet getting so cold at times?

Second, when I'm having the burning, is it dangerous to use an icepack on my feet just to relieve the pain/burning. (the ice pack is NOT related to my feet being cold)

Old 03-23-2013, 12:17 AM

2 posts, read 7,425 times
Default Neuropathy

I have excruciating pain in my feet from PN, particularly my toes. It keeps me awake all night, some nights. I have head this radio announcement about laser treatments available for PN and am considering investigating the options. Here is the website that explains the treatment, although I have not contacted them yet: >> [url=http://bellevuepaininstitute.com/lp/washington-neuropathy-treatment-center/?gclid=CJ30gryVkrYCFYKDQgodMgoAlg]Washington Neuropathy Treatment Center - Bellevue Pain Institute[/url]

The pain institute is in Bellevue, WA, about 10 miles east of Seattle. Hope this information is useful to others. I will be looking forward to reviewing any information from others that may have benefited from laser treatment to manage the foot pain associated with diabetes.

PNWRANGER
Washington State

Old 03-23-2013, 12:28 AM

2 posts, read 7,425 times
Default Diabetic Neuropathy

Apparently, the the server does not allow me to post a URL address. So Google "Bellvue Pain Institute" "Bellevue, WA" and you should get a hit that leads you to their website.

PNWRANGER
Washington State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes