U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 04:06 PM

7,268 posts, read 16,847,287 times

Advertisements

Since I have been diagnosed with diabetes last month, I saw the doctor and mine can be controlled with diet and exercise.
I told him that for the past month, I've been watching my carb intake, mostly staying away from white flour and sugar stuff and the sweets.

He mentioned that I should also make an effort to stay away from wheat products. Since he didn't seem too serious about it, I let it go in one ear and out the other but I got to thinking about it yesterday and I thought I'd ask you all if your docs have said anything like that to you.

I've read a couple of articles on the internet about wheat and they were not very positive. I'm not one to believe every fad that comes out so I'm skeptical. Pretty soon, we're going to be told that everything is bad and I just don't go for that.

If wheat is a bad thing, how does someone eat bread, pizza crust or something like that? I've seen the gluten free stuff too and seems like a bunch of hype but not sure now.

Your opinions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 04:23 PM

14,649 posts, read 29,692,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Since I have been diagnosed with diabetes last month, I saw the doctor and mine can be controlled with diet and exercise.
I told him that for the past month, I've been watching my carb intake, mostly staying away from white flour and sugar stuff and the sweets.

He mentioned that I should also make an effort to stay away from wheat products. Since he didn't seem too serious about it, I let it go in one ear and out the other but I got to thinking about it yesterday and I thought I'd ask you all if your docs have said anything like that to you.

I've read a couple of articles on the internet about wheat and they were not very positive. I'm not one to believe every fad that comes out so I'm skeptical. Pretty soon, we're going to be told that everything is bad and I just don't go for that.

If wheat is a bad thing, how does someone eat bread, pizza crust or something like that? I've seen the gluten free stuff too and seems like a bunch of hype but not sure now.

Your opinions please.
I am diabetic also, the problem with wheat is the same as ALL grains, corn or potatoes- they ALL contain too much starch and the carbs race into our bloodstream raising our blood glucose.

I haven't cut wheat and starches completely out, but I severely limit it, the only bread I eat is sourdough that I make myself; the sour culture helps to pre-digest the starch in the wheat so it doesn't raise the blood sugar so fast.

Rice, potatoes and corn are just as bad - all of these are like eating a big bowl of sugar as far as your body is concerned. Best thing you can do is restrict these foods and exercise after eating, that is what helps me.

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2013, 04:23 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,408,211 times
Read the book Wheat Belly and then make a judgment. Or, just go off of it for 4-6 weeks and track your blood sugars during that time and see what you think. The doctor who wrote that book says that wheat will raise your blood sugar quite a lot and if you look at a glycemic index table you can see that wheat is pretty high on the GI scale and a piece of whole wheat bread is higher than a snickers bar. Do not eat cream of wheat--that will raise your BS to the skies. The trouble with the GI index though is that almost anything you eat with the food you're looking up can change how it affects you so it's no more useful than a BMI--merely a suggestion really.

I started a discussion about Wheat Belly over on the Diet and weight loss forum if you're interested to read it--you may have to go back a few pages and revive it.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
Every diabetic processes stuff differently. I can eat wheat bread with little problem. As the poster above said, go off it and see what happens.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 PM

7,268 posts, read 16,847,287 times
Thanks for your replies.

The Wheat Belly article is one of the ones I read but I thought it was a bunch of hype of him trying to sell his cookbook but I'll go over and check out the discussion on it. I'm beginning to believe there is something to this.

Since quitting white flour and sugar, I've been eating the wheat. I don't eat that much but I do love my bread and pasta on occassion. I guess I need to try this and see if it makes me feel any different. I don't take my blood sugar. I don't know if the doc thinks it's unnecessary for me or not since the diabetes isn't that high. I need to see him again in 6 weeks and in the meantime have my a1c test. I'm just trying to do all the right stuff and at times, it gets overwhelming.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:10 PM

1,787 posts, read 4,798,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Thanks for your replies.

The Wheat Belly article is one of the ones I read but I thought it was a bunch of hype of him trying to sell his cookbook but I'll go over and check out the discussion on it. I'm beginning to believe there is something to this.

Since quitting white flour and sugar, I've been eating the wheat. I don't eat that much but I do love my bread and pasta on occassion. I guess I need to try this and see if it makes me feel any different. I don't take my blood sugar. I don't know if the doc thinks it's unnecessary for me or not since the diabetes isn't that high. I need to see him again in 6 weeks and in the meantime have my a1c test. I'm just trying to do all the right stuff and at times, it gets overwhelming.
Get yourself a monitor, lancets, and test strips. Test at the appropriate times. There is no other way to know how you are reacting to wheat, white, or any other food. The A1C is an average of three months and won't tell you what specific food is making your numbers high.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:28 PM

208 posts, read 467,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Read the book Wheat Belly and then make a judgment. Or, just go off of it for 4-6 weeks and track your blood sugars during that time and see what you think. The doctor who wrote that book says that wheat will raise your blood sugar quite a lot and if you look at a glycemic index table you can see that wheat is pretty high on the GI scale and a piece of whole wheat bread is higher than a snickers bar. Do not eat cream of wheat--that will raise your BS to the skies. The trouble with the GI index though is that almost anything you eat with the food you're looking up can change how it affects you so it's no more useful than a BMI--merely a suggestion really.

I started a discussion about Wheat Belly over on the Diet and weight loss forum if you're interested to read it--you may have to go back a few pages and revive it.
Glad I saw your post. I was going to advise this person to read "Wheat Belly"..

Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 PM

2,391 posts, read 3,866,540 times
I've been diagnosed as "Pre-Diabetic" and was told to eat whole grains but not enriched flour. So wheat seems okay if it is whole wheat. Is my situation different~?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:40 AM

3,936 posts, read 5,447,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I've been diagnosed as "Pre-Diabetic" and was told to eat whole grains but not enriched flour. So wheat seems okay if it is whole wheat. Is my situation different~?
It seems that the people whole wheat bothers can't handle gluten. I read a very long article refuting the doctors claims on whole wheat. I tried to find it, so I could post it on here but I can't find the darned thing. I could have sworn I saved it. I thought about trying to drop the wheat, but, it's in nearly everything. I don't know how people can drop it all.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:23 AM

1,787 posts, read 4,798,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
It seems that the people whole wheat bothers can't handle gluten. I read a very long article refuting the doctors claims on whole wheat. I tried to find it, so I could post it on here but I can't find the darned thing. I could have sworn I saved it. I thought about trying to drop the wheat, but, it's in nearly everything. I don't know how people can drop it all.
I had a hard time finding rye bread without wheat in it; I'm going to try and make my own rye bread using rye flour. I found a recipe without wheat in it. I lost the link to the recipe. If anyone wants the recipe DM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes