Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:13 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times

Advertisements

I just got a new job teaching school in a rural area where there are many overweight people and I work with kids in high school. Last night I went to Walmart and bought sugar pills and denture cream. For my students! I've had so many kids have their blood sugar drop out in my classroom that I decided to get the sugar pills so I wouldn't have to keep feeding them, which is against the rules anyway. But the question is why so many teenagers are bottoming out like that. Not all of them are overweight--one young man is extremely athletic and slender and another one from yesterday is pudgy, but not fat. I always ask them to drink a glass of water first b/c sometimes dehydration can look a lot like hypoglycemia, but often it really is the food that is required.

Something has changed radically here. I grew up on junk food in my house and Cap'n Crunch was my breakfast cereal of choice for years. Candy, cookies, snack cakes, and white bread abounded in my household and I was a little plumpie then but nothing like what you see these days. Now the kids are getting diabetic and at 54 I'm still not, though trying to watch it b/c I could get it easily with my roly poly pot belly. Sorry I"m not trying to be insulting here but we all know that's a huge risk factor. But what about the kids? I'm so concerned about their future. I might add that a good percentage of my kids are on psych meds for something or other and wondering if that has anything to do with it?

Oh and the denture cream is for an 18 yo who is missing her entire row of top teeth! She is very low and folks a mess, so who knows what happened there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 01:35 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Your intentions are good, but you really shouldn't be doing what you're doing. Do you have a school nurse? If a kid is feeling dizzy, like they are going to pass out, they should be sent to the nurse. BTW, diabetes is too much blood sugar, not too little--ie, hypoglycemia. One can go hypo if taking too much insulin, or other blood sugar medicine, without eating. Hyperglycemia usually doesn't mainfest as feeling faint and passing out, the symptoms are usually more subtle---excess thirst, excess urinating, foul, fruity smell to breath.

You're quite right that adolescent diabetes is a growing problem in this country. So many people are overweight, which taxes their pancreas into failure. You sound like a kind, caring person who just wants to help, but I worry for your sake. If you misdiagnosis and offer the wrong solution, your job could be at stake!

Although I hate to say this, I do think such students need to be referred to CPS, or whatever its called in your area. a student with an undiagnosed health problem who's having trouble in class should be evaluated by social services. Oftentimes parents are simply not aware their children have diabetes, and doctors fail to test on a routine basis. My children's pediatrician doesn't even have a glucose meter in his office

I hate to sound cynical, but my first thought about the students with the missing teeth----drugs! Its somewhat unusual for a teenager to be missing a significant portion of their teeth, but I suppose you have heard of meth mouth? There again, I would consider referring such students to social services, to see if they are receiving basic dental care.

I wish more teachers were like you and cared like you do about their students

Old 09-22-2013, 09:26 AM

295 posts, read 832,459 times
How do you know for sure their blood sugar is bottoming out? Are you testing their glucose?
Fatigue can also be a sign that blood sugar is too high. You could be doing harm to students albeit with good intentions, by giving them "sugar pills." By "sugar pills" I assume you mean glucose tabs?
Did you know that the amount of glucose tabs taken depends on an individual's blood glucose readings?
Even if you are treating a "low", too many glucose tabs can spike a person into a high blood sugar reading. Some people who spike too high might have a spike and then crash again.

I agree with MaryleeII, those students who you think are experiencing low blood glucose should be sent to the school nurse, and right away, assuming your school has a nurse, or sent to the office and their parents called. JMO, do not attempt to treat what you assume is low blood sugar yourself.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:53 PM

Wow, hadn't thought about that guys. All I know is they were eating up all my carrots or graham crackers and then they'd feel better and I kind of thought that hypo is a precursor to diabetes? Yes, I will send them to the nurse from now on, though I usually do have them drink a glass of water first. And again, why are teenagers having these kinds of problems? One of them is extremely athletic and slender.

As for meth mouth--yes I have heard of it. I'm deep in the middle of the meth capital of the world. I doubt my student has used it, but I'm willing to bet that her mother did or does. Now the student is a charity case and one that will go to a shelter workshop and I feel horrible whenever she tells me she's going to be living with her momma next year when they get a house. BTW it was pointless to buy denture cream b/c the dentures don't even come close to fitting.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:36 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Hunger or poor nutrition can cause low blood sugar which can cause fatigue and fainting. Too bad we discontinue "free" lunch in middle/high school.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,251 times
Avoid any food that combines sugar, acid and stickiness because food is not just sustenance, not just fuel and certainly not just a diversion. Food nurtures and heals. So the type of food you eat affects your health and wellbeing. The right foods help you feel energetic, sleep better and prevent sickness.

Spend at least three minutes brushing your teeth two times a day. Use a timer if you have to to ensure that you're spending enough time on your oral care routine. Use floss at least once a day every day to clean between your teeth. Buy ADA-approved dental cleaning tools and toothpaste.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:54 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I caution you on elevating it to Social Services. I equate that to crying wolf, or calling the cops on a neighbor when maybe walking over and talking to them will do the trick.

In most rural schools, they don't have a nurse, or they have a district nurse that can make rounds. I'm sure that you have checked on it. I would first go that route, and if that doesn't do the trick, I would call the parents in for a conference, or at least a phone call and a chat about your concerns about their childs health. Now, if all avenues are exhausted, then, and then only, would I contact Social Services and see if they have a traveling nurse. Getting Social Services involved is a last ditch, throw your hands up, response when nothing else works.

With the onset of diabetes, my blood sugar would drop suddenly on me, so yes, it can do that. I had to feed my system in order to keep going and it was because I was eating all the wrong foods and they wouldn't last until the next meal. I would bottom out, get sleepy, shaky, no energy, and then get a snack and it was a real pick me up.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:31 PM

Yes I agree Elkhunter about calling in SS but the student with dentures is a ward of the state so I do call her case manager when something is wrong. Found out the dentures don't fit even a little bit. They just fell right out, even with denture cream. The CM is looking into getting her some teeth but I found out she lost them as a baby when she almost died after surgery so I'm wondering if she still has gums to hold those teeth in.

I'm doing a whole life skills unit this week on eating right and avoiding diabetes and over half our class is obese according to BMI charts. I told them one thing you never want to do is to drink a sugary drink, esp OJ, on an empty stomach or your blood sugar can plummet. I've seen it happen to too many people.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:22 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
How sad About the child with no teeth. I'll bet those dentures aren't even hers, isn't it rather unusual for a child to have dentures made? They are still growing, so the dentures would need to be replaced quite often.

Yesterday was a big day for us---my dd16, finally had her braces removed! she's had orthodontia work since she was 5, including a series of palate expanders, braces, etc. Its been a struggle financially, but we made it a priority. Her teeth were a complete mess when we started. i'm just grateful we had the means to take care of her!

My family has been a victim of CPS. All it takes is one call to put you on their radar, then, every little thing is suspect and must be "checked out". They've never pursued charges, because, our children are well-cared for, but just being on their radar has nearly ruined our lives. The investigation process leaves us under suspicion with those we interract with, including school, doctors, neighbors, employers, etc. The damage has been devastating!

The irony is, our children are well-cared for, yet we continue to be suspect for any little thing. yet children like the OP teaches somehow fall through the cracks. I really feel CPS should earn their pay and pursue those children who are not receiving basic care, such as dental, etc. Once we had a social worker go off on us because we refused to meet with her when she demanded, because my DD had an ortho appt. We were supposed to cancel necessary care (for which we paid, NOT the state), so we could meet with her, to discuss why we were NOT taking care of our children properly? Sorry, I told her SHE would have to take our schedules into consideration as well. Then, she went' off because we refused to keep taking off work to meet with her, we said she could see us evenings or weekends. Look, we WORK to provide for our children, and we do provide well. We can't be expected to keep comprimising our responsibilities to keep meeting with social workers to prove we are doing just that.......They are missing the mark both ways! WTH good do they really do? They hound decent parents, ruin families, and somehow "ignore" real need cases.

Well, ok, rant over, but I feel the social workers of the world should go after those who really need help, and are being truly neglected, not just running after decent, hard-wprking parents.

BTW, all the investigations stopped when I threatened to take our story to the local media---they would look ridiculous!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:34 AM

Oh Marylee, so sorry I missed this. Yes, it seems that a lot of folks call CPS over the slightest thing or they do it to get back at someone and I swear some do it for pure entertainment. I'm so sorry you're having to go thru this and right after I wrote the first post, someone called them on the family of 2 of my boys and I've never seen them look so scared. The sad thing is that these boys have been taken out of homes before (justified) and they been thru the foster care system and it was horrible and now they're with their grandma and happier than they've ever been and then some idiot who was mad at them called--apparently the charges were pretty ridiculous but you can be sure that CPS will not be able to let it rest. I hate that public funds are misused in this manner and then like you said, they don't quit and this continues to follow you.

Congrats to your dd for getting her braces off--I remember going around grinning at myself in the mirror for at least a week.

Guess I'd better stick to the subject though--no wonder kids eat so crappy and don't exercise when they have to go thru this kind of stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes