Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:26 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,254,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
NO! From all the little hunters, 15 and under, who were allowed out with deer rifles this weekend! Several of my students got their deer this weekend.

Hazel, have you got one of those apps where you can track your cals? It will also tell you how much of what you ate was carbs, proteins, or fats. The one I use is Fitness Pal and it's a free app on my ipad and it has a huge database of foods. Trouble is, with my ADD and crazy busy job it's easier just to do intermittent fasting which is dropping the weight, and after the first day or two, I coast right thru to suppertime. I love loose jeans. What's scaring me though is that after being sugar free and intermittent fasting and having dropped at least a couple of pounds, I still managed to have a 126 BS this am.
I'll take a look but what's slowing me down is that all these books and apps concentrate on losing weight which I no longer need to do. One thing I learned early on is that "lose weight" is the mantra of caring for diabetes. I've never seen "if you need to". Nor have I ever seen any guide to how much to lose. I can deal with those two little problems but I'd love a book/app/chart that would concentrate on the other parts: Carbs - oh, for an easy way to cut carbs!, saturated fats, even cholesterol which I do need to watch. But, it seems that all of them just keep talking about how to count calories and lose weight. Do I make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Hazel, there are a couple of considerations.

Anytie your blood sugar pops over 100 the medical so called professionals say you are diabetic and they want to put you on Big Pharma medication. You should listen, but you should also investigate alternatives to Big Pharma, and there are many.
I was very lucky to have a doctor who does not believe in popping pills unless there is no other way. He said I could do it with diet and exercise and, so far, that is working. I've since read elsewhere that Type 2 can often be controlled with no more than diet and exercise. That, of course, depends on the will power of the patient.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:39 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I'll take a look but what's slowing me down is that all these books and apps concentrate on losing weight which I no longer need to do. One thing I learned early on is that "lose weight" is the mantra of caring for diabetes. I've never seen "if you need to". Nor have I ever seen any guide to how much to lose. I can deal with those two little problems but I'd love a book/app/chart that would concentrate on the other parts: Carbs - oh, for an easy way to cut carbs!, saturated fats, even cholesterol which I do need to watch. But, it seems that all of them just keep talking about how to count calories and lose weight. Do I make sense?
This might help. It's an excel spreadsheet so that you can look up carbs of whatever you are eating or find alternatives to what you want to fix. I put it together so that I could more easily figure out what I needed to do. The spreadsheet is divided up into worksheets to cover each of the food groups. Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Carb list.zip (26.2 KB, 9 views)

Old 11-09-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
This might help. It's an excel spreadsheet so that you can look up carbs of whatever you are eating or find alternatives to what you want to fix. I put it together so that I could more easily figure out what I needed to do. The spreadsheet is divided up into worksheets to cover each of the food groups. Hope it helps.
Thank you. I'll check that out this morning. Just getting my day started now. At breakfast time, I was checking the box of Honey Bunches of Oats. Total carbs: 25. Fiber 2. Sugar 6. and then "Other" carbs 17? The majority of the total is just "other"? To me, "other" means the little bit left over and not truly important. 17 out of 25 if not a "little bit".

So, that's quibbling. I'll get back to your spreadsheet. Truly interested there. Especially in the possible substitutes.

Thank you very much.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
ElkHunter, I'm sorry but I got a message that Windows cannot open this file. I used to have this happen until I installed VLC. Don't now why it is happening now.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:33 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
I was very lucky to have a doctor who does not believe in popping pills unless there is no other way. He said I could do it with diet and exercise and, so far, that is working. I've since read elsewhere that Type 2 can often be controlled with no more than diet and exercise. That, of course, depends on the will power of the patient.
With fitnesspal you put in how much you want to weigh--in your case, your present weight. It will tell you how many cals you should eat and then when you type in the foods you ate and total for the day it will show you how much of what you ate was carbs, fats, proteins, and sugars. It doesn't "let" you have much sugar at all, so that's good. I think that carb count is a bit high and much as I love carbs I almost never made it up to the total of 200 gms that it allowed me. OTOH, I always go over on fat and you can decide on your own ratio though not sure if you can enter it as a template or not. Probably not--it's a free app.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
With fitnesspal you put in how much you want to weigh--in your case, your present weight. It will tell you how many cals you should eat and then when you type in the foods you ate and total for the day it will show you how much of what you ate was carbs, fats, proteins, and sugars. It doesn't "let" you have much sugar at all, so that's good. I think that carb count is a bit high and much as I love carbs I almost never made it up to the total of 200 gms that it allowed me. OTOH, I always go over on fat and you can decide on your own ratio though not sure if you can enter it as a template or not. Probably not--it's a free app.
The instructions that I first received said carbs would be 45 to 65% of total calories. Since it doesn't take many calories for me to start gaining, being sedentary, that really cuts back on the carbs - about 179 a day. More exercise called for.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:01 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Quote:
ElkHunter, I'm sorry but I got a message that Windows cannot open this file. I used to have this happen until I installed VLC. Don't now why it is happening now.
I posted it a long time ago, in this thread, and it works fine, I just checked it.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/diabe...ease-read.html

Old 11-10-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
I posted it a long time ago, in this thread, and it works fine, I just checked it.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/diabe...ease-read.html
A friend told me that I can't open it because I do not have a spreadsheet in my computer setup. Might be. Anyway, I intend to try again today. See if it was just temporary. Thanks again.

Aha! I did and it does. So, friend was wrong and it was just temporary. As Mayor LaGuardia used to sing "Patience and Fortitude, and things will come your way."

Old 11-10-2013, 09:40 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
More exercise called for.
Yes, exercise is very important. Find something you love--I hate to jog so that will not be my exercise of choice. I love to dance and would never miss one if I could help it so that's what I do. Hiking? Love it. Tread mill? Not so much and once I get in shape I almost have to jog to get my heart rate up so not doing it. You could probably fix this just with exercise alone. Oh yeah and take the stairs every chance you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes