Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 07:02 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,013 times

Advertisements

Some interesting videos and brief article @ Can Type II Diabetes be Reversed? - Conservative Hideout 2.0

I'm not a doctor but have heard more than a few claims similar to this that seems to make sense. I notice that when I follow some low-carb meals, my blood sugar level drops without having to increase my Novolog insulin. So, it was worth my time to view the videos. Judge for yourselves.\\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 08:28 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,382,405 times
Nothing known to science so far will cure Type II diabetes, but consistent lifestyle and diet choices can improve blood sugar levels (and a reduction in insulin needed) and may even bring A1c into normal levels in some people without any medication.

Diabetes Type II doesn't have to be a progressive disease if one maintains consistently normal blood sugar levels. Diabetes progresses because the person doesn't know they have the disease until they have neuropathy and irreversible organ damage or they know they have the disease and don't know how to make lifestyle changes or refuse to make lifestyle changes.

I have several family members with diabetes Type II and have seen these behaviors first hand.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-15-2014 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-27-2014, 07:15 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,139 times
I was diagnosed as Pre-Diabetic. People tell me that is the same as type 2 diabetes, but my doctor says that those people are wrong. He says at my stage it is reversible with exercise, diet, and weight loss. He said I am not in the "danger zone", but my levels are higher than they should be.
6 months later now my readings are almost perfect, but that may be due to the metaprolol. I have started exercising and cut out all bad processed junk and eat super low carb.
I have hope that I will reverse this but I have to stay vigilant.
I've learned to trust my doctors as the final say over what others say.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:05 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Nothing known to science so far will cure Type II diabetes,
Perhaps you might want to check out Dr Mark Hyman's The Blood Sugar Solution.

Perhaps you might want to check out The Tree of Life, in Patagonia, AZ who are doing land office business in CURING T2 diabetes.

Come on. Stop parroting the Big Pharma party line, let alone the AMA trained doctors who have no klew!

Yes thru diet, exercise, and alternative outlooks, T2 folks have hope. Excellent hope.

PS There is very little reason for T2 types to be prescribed insulin. There is a MAJOR difference between insulin dependence (T1) and insulin resistance (T2)

Read Dr Mark Hyman's The Blood Sugar Solution, and pay attention. His point regarding the training of doctors is worth considering.I recently got back into the healthcare system. My new doctor, right out of the box, prescribed not one, not two, but THREE Big Pharma drugs, only one of whic was diabetes related (a blood sugar control drug)

Sorry, but the AMA trained doctors dont know anything but what they learned in med school - prescribe drugs and hope for the best.

PS my wife is an attorney and an advocate for people seeking SSDI. It is AMAZING how the docs are so quick to classify their patients as malingerers,. Check out my post regarding Chronic Pain Syndrome.

Chronic Pain Syndrome

Sorry, but the establishment medical profession should be questioned at every step.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:34 AM

526 posts, read 900,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Perhaps you might want to check out Dr Mark Hyman's The Blood Sugar Solution.

Perhaps you might want to check out The Tree of Life, in Patagonia, AZ who are doing land office business in CURING T2 diabetes.

Come on. Stop parroting the Big Pharma party line, let alone the AMA trained doctors who have no klew!

Yes thru diet, exercise, and alternative outlooks, T2 folks have hope. Excellent hope.

PS There is very little reason for T2 types to be prescribed insulin. There is a MAJOR difference between insulin dependence (T1) and insulin resistance (T2)

Read Dr Mark Hyman's The Blood Sugar Solution, and pay attention. His point regarding the training of doctors is worth considering.I recently got back into the healthcare system. My new doctor, right out of the box, prescribed not one, not two, but THREE Big Pharma drugs, only one of whic was diabetes related (a blood sugar control drug)

Sorry, but the AMA trained doctors dont know anything but what they learned in med school - prescribe drugs and hope for the best.

PS my wife is an attorney and an advocate for people seeking SSDI. It is AMAZING how the docs are so quick to classify their patients as malingerers,. Check out my post regarding Chronic Pain Syndrome.

Chronic Pain Syndrome

Sorry, but the establishment medical profession should be questioned at every step.
You have stated some truths, but when you sound like a snake-oil salesman people don't listen!

At this time, there is no documented, researched cure for T2 diabetes. Some (not all, but many) T2 diabetics can manage their disease without medication IF they are willing to make major diet modifications. A lot of T2 diabetics can, with work and careful monitoring, normalize their blood sugars (and in the process, lost weight and bring blood pressure and cholesterol levels into normal realms as well) to the point that if they presented themselves to a new doctor and asked for full screening, that doctor would not be able to tell they had diabetes. Does that mean they're cured? No, it doesn't. If they went back to eating the normal American diet their blood sugars would quickly revert back to whatever they were before they got their disease under control. In other words, T2 diabetics can often completely control their disease without medication but that's not technically the same as curing it.

There are a lot of books and websites that are helpful in achieving control of T2 diabetes. I would recommend "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution." I'm quoting myself here (something I posted in another thread):

Dr. Bernstein is an amazing person and his book is incredible. He is an 80-year-old Type 1 diabetic who was diagnosed at age 12. By the time he was in his 30s he was suffering (as most diabetics were at that time) from every complication in the book. His wife, who was an MD, had access to some very early home monitoring devices and he spent a few years meticulously measuring his blood sugar and the way it responded to various food. He was able to completely normalize his blood sugar, which was considered an impossibility (he needed insulin, of course, since he was T1, but the amount he needed decreased dramatically as well). He reversed every complication and was able to achieve really good health. When he decided to publish the results of his research, no one would listen because he was an engineer, not a doctor. So, in his 30s, he went to medical school and became an endocrinologist. He's now 80 years old and I believe is still practicing. His book is a life-changer.

One thing Dr. Bernstein doesn't stress is doing without medication. Some T2 diabetics have so much damage to their insulin-producing cells that they DO require medication. His belief is that having normal blood sugar levels is the ultimate goal, not getting off medication. His methods are so effective that many T2 diabetics are able to eliminate all medication entirely, and all diabetics (T1 and T2) will reduce the amount of medication that is needed, but his belief is that if medication is required to get blood sugar levels under complete control then take the medication.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I read a book over Christmas called "Wheat Belly" it motivated me to give up all wheat based products,while i'm still diabetic i've lost 10lbs and i've cut my diabetic medications in half..

Old 04-30-2014, 03:21 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
To the best of my knowledge, and based on personal experience, once a person has diabetes . . . they will always be a diabetic. Sure, it can be controlled through diet and exercise, but unmonitored, it can become a problem that leads to all kinds of ill effects that we all know about.

I was diagnosed as Type-2 as a result of a quickie "medical exam" so that I could be a driver on my vanpool. I had a large breakfast shortly beforehand. That breakfast included three large pancakes and of course, slathered with sirup. The medical tech dipped the little stick into a jar of my urine and asked if I was diabetic. "I don't think so."

He highly recommended that I be checked out by my doctor. I did, and sure enough I was a diabetic. For several years, it was well controlled via oral medicine. I was always physically active, but one year I got really fed up looking at myself in the mirror after getting out of the shower. I was twenty-five pounds overweight, per BMI numbers.

That spurred me to go on a commercial diet and I lost forty pounds, bringing me down into the middle of the 'healthy' BMI range. During the diet, I took my blood sugar readings multiple times a day so that I would not go hypoglycemic. At the end of the diet, my blood numbers were so good that I was able to discontinue ALL diabetic oral medicine. And, I really liked how I looked. I was slim and trim, and the bike riding gave me a tanned and toned physique. Adonis and Narcissus had nothing on me! Amateur, wanna-be pretenders.

Was I still a diabetic? According to my doctor, yes. Even though I no longer needed medicine to control it, I still was.

Fast forward about six-seven years and the weight slowly coming back. I am currently fifteen pounds overweight, again based on BMI numbers, and my blood sugar is out of control. I'm back on the oral medicine and the doctor's nurse said that they are considering putting me on insulin. That the oral medicine is being taken at the maximum dosage and the next step is insulin.

I admit that I've been 'cheating' in what I eat. My exercise is way, way off - mostly due to the cold winter and my work schedule. My sleep hours are sorely lacking. I'm currently only getting between 5-6 hours sleep a night, for the past six months. I'm exhausted! (I have to get up at 4:15 every morning for work and teach three nights a week.)

The nurse called yesterday saying that I needed to take my blood tests/lab work again and to make an appointment for a foot exam. I'm going to beg them to please hold off on me going onto insulin until I can be re-tested in August. School is over at the end of May and I'll have the summer to lose that extra weight and get my exercise routine back on track. If I can bring my numbers down to the near normal range, then I bet they'll forgo the insulin. I'll just have to remember that I can't cheat anymore and need to keep up the exercise routine.

Yes, I believe that once a diabetic, always a diabetic. Nobody is really 'cured' . . . they are just 'well managed'.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
You have stated some truths, but when you sound like a snake-oil salesman people don't listen!

At this time, there is no documented, researched cure for T2 diabetes. Some (not all, but many) T2 diabetics can manage their disease without medication IF they are willing to make major diet modifications. A lot of T2 diabetics can, with work and careful monitoring, normalize their blood sugars (and in the process, lost weight and bring blood pressure and cholesterol levels into normal realms as well) to the point that if they presented themselves to a new doctor and asked for full screening, that doctor would not be able to tell they had diabetes. Does that mean they're cured? No, it doesn't. If they went back to eating the normal American diet their blood sugars would quickly revert back to whatever they were before they got their disease under control. In other words, T2 diabetics can often completely control their disease without medication but that's not technically the same as curing it.

There are a lot of books and websites that are helpful in achieving control of T2 diabetes. I would recommend "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution." I'm quoting myself here (something I posted in another thread):

Dr. Bernstein is an amazing person and his book is incredible. He is an 80-year-old Type 1 diabetic who was diagnosed at age 12. By the time he was in his 30s he was suffering (as most diabetics were at that time) from every complication in the book. His wife, who was an MD, had access to some very early home monitoring devices and he spent a few years meticulously measuring his blood sugar and the way it responded to various food. He was able to completely normalize his blood sugar, which was considered an impossibility (he needed insulin, of course, since he was T1, but the amount he needed decreased dramatically as well). He reversed every complication and was able to achieve really good health. When he decided to publish the results of his research, no one would listen because he was an engineer, not a doctor. So, in his 30s, he went to medical school and became an endocrinologist. He's now 80 years old and I believe is still practicing. His book is a life-changer.

One thing Dr. Bernstein doesn't stress is doing without medication. Some T2 diabetics have so much damage to their insulin-producing cells that they DO require medication. His belief is that having normal blood sugar levels is the ultimate goal, not getting off medication. His methods are so effective that many T2 diabetics are able to eliminate all medication entirely, and all diabetics (T1 and T2) will reduce the amount of medication that is needed, but his belief is that if medication is required to get blood sugar levels under complete control then take the medication.
For those interested, Dr Mark Hyman is a medical doctor and well qualified to offer advice that will change the lives of many if not most T2 people. As always, your mileage may vary. His book The Blood Sugar Solution may well be available at the local public library, so folks may not have to buy anything to read the book.

You mentioned strict diet changes. That's what Tree of Life Teaches. You go full raw in their boot camps. My son cooked for them as part of his training in raw foods preparation.Yes they are pricy, but one can adapt their methods without paying for anything by using other resources.

When I first accepted my own diabetes I was put onto metformin, which made me violently ill. I stopped taking it immediately. Since then I have changed my own diet to included more greens and green drinks and more exercise. I have lost 50 pounds in 14 months, and my blood sugar has dropped from 402 to 190 at last check. (A1C dropped from over 12 to 7.9 last check.) The only blood sugar aid is Nopal cactus, cinnamon, and chromium picolinate. So you can see why I am skeptical of a doctor whose first instinct is to put me on three different drugs, with no regard to my progress of the past year. Especially when a qualified physician expresses concern about the medical profession's lack of specific knowledge about any treatments other than prescription drugs.

I'm not selling anything. I am making suggestions that readers here can look into as a part of their education into their conditions and their possible treatments.

I'll look into Dr Bernsteins book. It's available at my own local library, so I should have it in a couple of days.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 8,151 times
pyccnogenol!! addresses 5 of complications of diabetes!! Was just diagnosed with pre-diabetes.. used to take this supplement years ago because I was a smoker it keeps blood from being sticky. Proved through many studies to stop retina damage skin damage lower blood glucose blood pressure control weight gain!! Just faded into the wood work.. Peopleneed to be talking about it and sharing it!! bought mine today!! Please research everyone it could save your feet and eyes and heart!!

Old 07-08-2014, 08:35 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
I've talked to many diabetics who were morbidly obese and once they had gastric by pass surgery they "felt" they were no longer diabetic. Even doctors will verify this frequently happens. No highs or low BG, no cravings. And whens I say immediate I mean the same day the surgery so there is so much more to diabetes than diet and exercise. Hormones play a huge part in it and so much more research is necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes