Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:31 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,807,259 times

Advertisements

At one point my mother was taking so much of the stuff she was basically asleep all day and night. She also suffered from dementia too and it interacted with other meds.

I take it at night to help me get to sleep and stay sleeping--the most I get is 6 hours and that very rarely. Usually it is 4-5 hours.

I take 600 mg about half an hour before bedtime. If i took it during the day would be a zombie. Sometimes my feet are jumping and so painful with stabbing pain so much worse than the 24/7 pins and needles I usually deal with. If it gets so bad I'm in tears or feel like jumping off the roof I take neurontin during the day but I have to go to bed.

Still can't figure out what brings on these stabbing incidents. But when they hit I get so depressed and miserable. My legs actually jerk and twist. It's like I'm possessed. I can't even walk as my knees sometimes give out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 03:25 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,044,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
At one point my mother was taking so much of the stuff she was basically asleep all day and night. She also suffered from dementia too and it interacted with other meds.

I take it at night to help me get to sleep and stay sleeping--the most I get is 6 hours and that very rarely. Usually it is 4-5 hours.

I take 600 mg about half an hour before bedtime. If i took it during the day would be a zombie. Sometimes my feet are jumping and so painful with stabbing pain so much worse than the 24/7 pins and needles I usually deal with. If it gets so bad I'm in tears or feel like jumping off the roof I take neurontin during the day but I have to go to bed.

Still can't figure out what brings on these stabbing incidents. But when they hit I get so depressed and miserable. My legs actually jerk and twist. It's like I'm possessed. I can't even walk as my knees sometimes give out.
Hmmm... the gabapentin just doesn't affect me that way. I wonder if I have another medication that is working against it or limiting its effects. Maybe it's time to ask my doctor or pharmacist. I'm sure they're going to think I've lost it if I start out with "I talked to some people on an internet forum and they said...." But it sure makes me wonder why it doesn't work that way for me. It definitely doesn't make me sleepy, or slow me down, or make me feel weird. All I can tell is that the pain becomes a little more tolerable. It doesn't go away though. It just makes it where I can use my fingers a little more.

I'd give anything to have the feeling back in my hands for even just one hour.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:40 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,739,577 times
I just started taking gabapentin (300mg). My doc said to take it only at night for the first week, then take it in the morning and at night after that. Last night was the first time I took it, and I had a lot of trouble waking up today, then felt hung over (headache, nausea) all day.

I've been in denial about my leg issues for a couple of years. I have trouble walking through the grocery store, or standing long enough to get the housework done. Walking to the mailbox at the end of my block is nearly impossible, and walking a couple miles leaves me barely able to hobble around for a week afterwards. I also have problems with my foot and ankle just giving out and dropping me, especially in the cold. So I really hope the gabapentin will do something good for me.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:46 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,739,577 times
An update: I'm on my 5th day of taking gabapentin and the sleepiness and headache are gone. I rode my bike today without getting a burning feeling in my feet, which is a major sign for me that the medicine is working.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
An update: I'm on my 5th day of taking gabapentin and the sleepiness and headache are gone. I rode my bike today without getting a burning feeling in my feet, which is a major sign for me that the medicine is working.
That's great.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:36 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,545,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Does anyone here use Gabapentin for neuropathy? Specifically in the feet? OMG.... my feet are numb, burning, and feel like they are being assaulted by 1000 bees!!!!!! It hurts sooooooo bad!

My doc started me on 600mg and we have worked our way up to 1800mg once a day at bedtime. It is NOT working at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are taking gabapentin, how many mg's per day are you taking and do you take it all at once or do you space it out over the day? I accidentally took one (600mg) the other morning and I was completely loopy, dizzy, and my tongue felt like it was 3 times too big for my mouth and I couldn't think or talk coherently! When I take the 1800mg at bedtime, I just go to sleep because it takes about 2 hours for it to metabolize in my system.

Today my Orthopedic put me on Gabapentin ..
for my Cervical Spinal Stenosis,(severe nerve pain), and for a bone fragment in my shoulder(severe pain)...so 300mg ....i ate it with food...so I'll see if there's relief (here's hoping!!!)...and watch for side effects...

Old 04-03-2014, 11:37 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,696,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Today my Orthopedic put me on Gabapentin ..
for my Cervical Spinal Stenosis,(severe nerve pain), and for a bone fragment in my shoulder(severe pain)...so 300mg ....i ate it with food...so I'll see if there's relief (here's hoping!!!)...and watch for side effects...

I hope it works for you! Watch the side effects before you try to do anything like driving or going out on your own. The 600mg threw me for a loop! I only wish it would have helped the pain. I'm going to see the doc again soon. Maybe he can give me something else.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:41 PM

had a good night sleep! took a 300 mg before bed and it smoothed out the edge of nerve pain...

the only other relief I get is opiate based meds but not one doctor will prescribe any, except for ER Physician, so ive was suffering for months using only nsaids...

im groggy and ate a little but im going to go back to bed to enjoy more sleep...much needed..

I also struggle with restless leg syndrome and last night legs were calmer..my chihuahua even slept on my bed, usually I kick around all night and he wont sleep on my bed...

so my dose is 300mg at lunch and 300mg at bedtime....

hows it going for you?

im wondering how my mental capacities will work after I get used to this or stay with this a while..., I wonder if coffee will still perk me up mentally...I have a lot of paperwork to due this month and im preparing for trial in mid may.

oh, not sure if thers other types but its Neurontin..not sure if it makes a difference

Old 04-04-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post

oh, not sure if thers other types but its Neurontin..not sure if it makes a difference
I think it's pretty much the same thing. I think gabapentin is the generic of Neurontin.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:29 PM

well, in case anybody's interested, i'm up and having coffee....hope that will pull me out of grogginess...

but I feel calm sort of content, surprisingly unworried about the mountain of paperwork ahead...the neck pain is somewhat numbed and my shoulder deeply achy, as usual , but not the twanging electric nerve pain I usually experience...

seemed to work good for restless legs...that is a relief...I can sit more comfortably

I wonder what the minimum dose could be to work...my orthopedic doc wants to crank it up to 900mg(300mgx3 times a day)...I know you have to stagger doses to be effective..

i'm sitting and staring at the baby birds flutter around in the tree outside and i notice the breeze every so slightly blowing the branches...the leafs are dangling back and forth..in the background a mountain of big fluffy white clouds with gray....oh! white butterflies flapping their delicate wings!!

oh dear, im sooo content on this couch ...staring out the window, i don't want to do anything else...why cant life be uncomplicated so we can have no heavy stress and negativity..so we can enjoy nature ...these birds are busy too especially the parent birds..guess i should get up and make some oatmeal cookies for the family....then off to yet another doctor office.....sigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes