Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:07 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times

Advertisements

I finally didn't need the Neurontin/gabapentin (Brand vs generic) anymore. I guess my nerves burned out? I very rarely feel that pain, maybe once in 6 months and at that, only slightly. I did get habiruated to it with time, took 300 mg at bedtime and wasn't groggy in the morning.

There is something better for restless legs (which my doc says is common in folks who have had a back injury), prampexizole or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 08:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I finally didn't need the Neurontin/gabapentin (Brand vs generic) anymore. I guess my nerves burned out? I very rarely feel that pain, maybe once in 6 months and at that, only slightly. I did get habiruated to it with time, took 300 mg at bedtime and wasn't groggy in the morning.

There is something better for restless legs (which my doc says is common in folks who have had a back injury), prampexizole or something like that.
Pramipexole (Mirapex, Mirapexin, Sifrol)! It's for Parkinsons as well as RLS. I took it along with Gabapentin (200mg morning and afternoon, 300mg at bedtime) following neurosurgery in my neck to relieve pressure on my spinal chord which was pinched-off in three places and literally dying. I needed both meds as the nerves began to once again send impulses to the brain which resulted in a great deal of moving pain as well as periods of rigidity and spasticity. Now, a year later, that pain is gone as is most of the RLS and the feeling has been returning to my extremities slowly but surely. I've had no issues with the Gabapentin which I'm gradually doing away with.

My wife is facing spinal surgery and is taking 1,800 milligrams of Gabapentin a day. It caused some vision issues for awhile but she couldn't tolerate lyrica so she stuck with it and that side-effect went away.

I probably should point out that neither my wife nor I are diabetic.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:20 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,374 times
I find it encouraging to read that it's working for some of you.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:06 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,694 times
3rd day Gabapentin, 300 mg @bedtime ,300mg@daytime...still groggy but able to function, actually sat thru "Noah" last night, first time I could sit for 2 hours, yay!! RLS better too,at both movie theatre and sleeptime.

The edge is off the pulsing nerve end pain, however the sore,ache shoulder with the calcium deposits doesn't have the same level of relief. I find it interesting someone mentioned Pramipexole, how were those side effects?

Has anyone used occasional opiate or synthetic opiate with Gabapentin? There is notes on the 'label' about using with opiates....

Old 04-05-2014, 09:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
3rd day Gabapentin, 300 mg @bedtime ,300mg@daytime...still groggy but able to function, actually sat thru "Noah" last night, first time I could sit for 2 hours, yay!! RLS better too,at both movie theatre and sleeptime.

The edge is off the pulsing nerve end pain, however the sore,ache shoulder with the calcium deposits doesn't have the same level of relief. I find it interesting someone mentioned Pramipexole, how were those side effects?

Has anyone used occasional opiate or synthetic opiate with Gabapentin? There is notes on the 'label' about using with opiates....
My wife and I both use opiates - her several times daily and me on occasion. Her pain is far worse and much more constant than mine. Thus far, no apparent interactions or problems.

So glad the gabapentin seems to be helping you.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:09 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
Quote:

If you google gabapentin and opiates, there are forums where people discuss those combinations and how effective or non effective they are.

I've noticed something similar to what you're describing...the burning pain in my legs and the tingly feelings running up and down my legs is gone, but the deep bone ache I get when the weather changes (where the metal is in my leg) is not at all improved by gabapentin. Still I will take what relief I can get.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:22 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,694 times
Wonder if Wellbuptrin is a good combo, Gaba doesn't help much with depression, the pain relief is good, but the lethargy is a concern...and Wellbuptrin supposively doesn't cause weight gain.................

Old 04-13-2014, 07:27 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
Quote:
Wonder if Wellbuptrin is a good combo, Gaba doesn't help much with depression, the pain relief is good, but the lethargy is a concern...and Wellbuptrin supposively doesn't cause weight gain.................
I was feeling really lethargic with the gabapentin, but I can take it in the morning and evening now without getting sleepy during the day.

I think gabapentin is can sometimes cause weight gain.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I use Gabapenten. 2700 units per day. I can take them all at once, or spread them out. I have found that spreading them out allows them to work better, so I take 3 capsules (300 units) before breakfast, before supper, and at bedtime. They work pretty good, although I need to increase again.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:03 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
An update: I'm on my 5th day of taking gabapentin and the sleepiness and headache are gone. I rode my bike today without getting a burning feeling in my feet, which is a major sign for me that the medicine is working.
I'm curious as to how you're feeling now. I hope you see this so you can let us know.

I've got an update too. Hang on to your hats, y'all... you're not going to believe this.

My doctor sent me to a neurologist to be evaluated. He's upping my gabapentin over a 4-week plan. I was on 1800mg a day (600mg three times a day).

Week 1 I took 2400mg a day using the 300mg capsules (2 in the AM, 2 mid-day and 4 in the PM)
Week 2 and 3 are 3000mg a day ( 3, 3, and 4)
Week 4 and after will be 3600mg a day (4, 4, and 4)

He says we can safely go up to 4800mg a day. I'm 4 capsules away from that amount.

I'm in Week 3 right now. I'm still okay. I still don't get 'loopy' like some of you have described but I've been sure to watch for it. I warned my daughter how it affected some of you on here. We're both watching for anything I might not notice. However, I do notice I'm forgetting things every now and then. Not too bad, but I'm aware that it's happening.

They've started me on physical therapy too. The muscles in my forearms are very weak. I have little strength left in them. So the PT is all about muscle stretching. In my forearms, in my neck, my shoulder/scapular area and a mild stretch of the upper Trapezius muscle. I just started the PT yesterday so I have to look up which muscle that is. I was overwhelmed with the other information and I forgot to ask. I hope the therapy works because I'd love to be able to pick up a skillet again, or a pan of water. I'd like to be able to cook again. Or drive.

A little over a week ago I had some sort of breakthrough. I have feeling in the tips of my fingers. Not the entire finger or the hands but in the fingertips. I can touch something and tell what I'm touching without looking at it. I emailed the neurologist and he wrote back "THIS IS A BREAKTHROUGH. It's a sign that the nerves are trying to wake up and return to normalization." I don't have a clue what normalization means, but it sounds positive.

I can only hope that it continues to improve. I'd love to one day be able to write an update telling you that I drove myself somewhere; or that I cooked a whole meal again without any help. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes