U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-10-2007, 12:41 PM

9 posts, read 43,059 times
Default Best hospitals for pediatric type 1 diabetes??

My 21 month old son was just diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. My husband & I are willing to move to a bigger city so that he gets 'top notch' care. Does anyone have an opinion re. where the best pediatric hospitals are, to treat Type 1 diabetes (besides Joslin). Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 03:00 PM

1,729 posts, read 91,466 times
Hi,

If you'll promise not to move based solely on the names I throw out ... I've heard of a pediatric diabetes center in Denver (Barbara Davis Center). The top children's hospitals I've heard of include Philadelphia, Johns Hopkins, and Boston.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:10 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,172,910 times
Childrens Memorial in Chicago. I'd try to find a good pediatric hospital in your area before you move. If you call a big hospital in your area they should be able to give you referrals for a ped's doc. Your regular Ped's doctor should be able to tell you who is the best in the area. Tell them you are willing to travel to have the best. Most nurses on the ped's floors at the hospital know who is the best, too, if you could talk to one of them.

BTW. Where do you live?

Good luck to you!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:35 AM

9 posts, read 43,059 times
Thank you for your reponses.
We currently live in Tucson. We go our local university medical center that has a ped. endocrinology clinic. We have only been a part of all of this since Nov. 20. We just feel that there is probably more 'leading edge' care out there. We know about Boston, Denver, John Hopkins, Chicago, & NY. I think, we were just hoping for somewhere a little more affordable. We'll make it work though. Thanks again.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:34 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,553,964 times
Hi Charmaine!
I wanted to write because I am a type one diabetic and have been for over 27 years. I was diagnosed right after my third birthday. There are so many amazing technologies out there now, it has changed so much for the better since my diagnosis. I wanted to tell you you can dm me anytime about any of it. It can be so difficult in the begining, but I promise as you learn as a family how to control blood sugars, life does go back to being very normal. I was diagnosed while my parents lived in Alabama, but as a child lived in 5 more small towns that all had good pediatric docs. Before you move, check in to all the docs nearby and interview them until you find one that fits your needs. I wish you the best and send much love to your son. I know how he feels and it does get better. Many blessings.

PS. If you are set on moving, look into Nashville. Vanderbuilt has some wonderful people. Our neighbor before we moved was finishing up his residency as a pediatric endocrinologist! And Nashville is very reasonable to live in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes