Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 01:08 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times

Advertisements

I am Type II (Diagnosed 2006) and on Metformin 1000mg/Glipizide 10mg a day. I also take Zocor 40mg for cholesterol and Lisinopril 20mg for BP.. I avoid all processed sugar. I do eat some carbs such as rice, corn, potatoes etc. I try to eat lean protein and keep the fats low. I really have a hard time losing weight it seems. Recently I was on a reduced calorie diet. I weigh 260 lbs and want to lose 50 lbs. I am 6'3" tall. I was restricted to 2150 calories a day. I was using a diary to keep count. Well, after over a month the scale hasn't moved. I am thinking of trying intermittent fasting for a while. I have not talked to a doctor about it. Maybe go for a day or two on just water / sugar free juice or maybe try to eat just one meal a day for several days.

If I do this and while I am fasting should I stop taking the diabetes meds?

Would the combination of not eating and taking the meds cause my BG to go too low?

Last edited by gguerra; 07-15-2014 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 05:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
There are days when I don't eat much at all. I'm taking 1000mg Metformin twice a day, Victoza 1.8mg once a day, and 10mg Lisinopril. I don't seem to go too low when I don't eat, and I still take my meds. Everyone is different, though...use your meter to figure out what works for you. I do notice when I exercise when I haven't eaten, my BG is usually in the low 70's but I haven't seen it lower than that. I always test before and after exercise if I'm not eating.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:46 AM

107 posts, read 558,795 times
2,150 Calories/day does not sound like a low-calorie diet to me. Whole-grain bread and vegetables can be a beter choice than plain carbohydrates (rice, potatoes).

Old 07-17-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehealthguy View Post
2,150 Calories/day does not sound like a low-calorie diet to me. Whole-grain bread and vegetables can be a beter choice than plain carbohydrates (rice, potatoes).
That's what I was thinking, but I looked up calorie requirements for a man of his height and they're fairly high. For me to lose weight, I need to stick to 1400 or less, but OP should be able to lose weight eating 2150.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:21 AM

295 posts, read 832,584 times
Be careful with fasting, even intermittent, and check your blood sugar often. Metformin does not act like insulin but watch out for the glipizide which can cause lows. I wouldn't recommend skipping your meds without your doctor's knowledge (permission) but rather watch your diet carefully and check your blood sugar often. Drink lots of water too. Your body might be burning fat and losing inches even when nothing shows on the scale.

Honestly, I lost the most weight when I restricted carbs and was eating more protein and fat. Example, I was having 4 eggs and sausage or bacon for breakfast. It kept my appetite at bay too. Lunch might be a sandwich on Sara Lee Delightful bread (lower carbs) made with meat, cheese, lettuce, etc. Dinner was meat/fish, veggies. Snacks were nuts, deviled eggs, pickles, cheese, Atkins bars, etc. I'd treat myself to a Lindor Lindt dark chocolate truffle or two after dinner (5 carbs each). Oh, and fruit in moderation (test your blood sugar), such as berries with maybe whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa on top. Or a Breyers CarbSmart ice cream bar or scoop, sometimes with whipped cream and chopped nuts on top. Yeah, I like my goodies, lol.

I still eat this way for the most part and check my blood sugar often to see how different foods affect me. Each person reacts to different foods differently, so checking blood sugar (especially at two hours after a meal) is very important.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:25 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I am Type II (Diagnosed 2006) and on Metformin 1000mg/Glipizide 10mg a day. I also take Zocor 40mg for cholesterol and Lisinopril 20mg for BP.. I avoid all processed sugar. I do eat some carbs such as rice, corn, potatoes etc. I try to eat lean protein and keep the fats low. I really have a hard time losing weight it seems. Recently I was on a reduced calorie diet. I weigh 260 lbs and want to lose 50 lbs. I am 6'3" tall. I was restricted to 2150 calories a day. I was using a diary to keep count. Well, after over a month the scale hasn't moved. I am thinking of trying intermittent fasting for a while. I have not talked to a doctor about it. Maybe go for a day or two on just water / sugar free juice or maybe try to eat just one meal a day for several days.

If I do this and while I am fasting should I stop taking the diabetes meds?

Would the combination of not eating and taking the meds cause my BG to go too low?
What you need to do is go to your Doctor and ask what he wants you to do.
You don't self diagnose, quit taking your medication and fast just because you think it is the right thing to do.
Do you understand what can happen when your numbers are too high or too low?
I personally would take a look at the number of calories you are consuming.
Are you moving enough physically in the form of some sort of exercise to consume that many calories each day?
My Husband is diabetic and limits his calories to 1800 per day and he has maintained his weight within a few pounds for the last 4 years.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:44 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
That's what I was thinking, but I looked up calorie requirements for a man of his height and they're fairly high. For me to lose weight, I need to stick to 1400 or less, but OP should be able to lose weight eating 2150.
I weigh 260 and I am 6'3". That was the recommended calories so that I could lose 1 pound a week. I use an app called MyFitnessPal on my android smartphone. It is a great app if you are counting calories. I could go lower than 2150 but it is well known that the faster you lose weight the faster you gain it back. When you lose it slow you tend to keep it off.

You can verify your recommended calorie intake here http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

I did it and it came up with 2044 calories.. I went with the sedentary lifestyle. If I put lightly active it is even higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivettes View Post
Honestly, I lost the most weight when I restricted carbs and was eating more protein and fat. Example, I was having 4 eggs and sausage or bacon for breakfast. It kept my appetite at bay too. Lunch might be a sandwich on Sara Lee Delightful bread (lower carbs) made with meat, cheese, lettuce, etc. Dinner was meat/fish, veggies. Snacks were nuts, deviled eggs, pickles, cheese, Atkins bars, etc. I'd treat myself to a Lindor Lindt dark chocolate truffle or two after dinner (5 carbs each). Oh, and fruit in moderation (test your blood sugar), such as berries with maybe whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa on top. Or a Breyers CarbSmart ice cream bar or scoop, sometimes with whipped cream and chopped nuts on top. Yeah, I like my goodies, lol.
As for the low carb/high protein and fat diet, I have another thing to worry about which is high triglycerides. They came out really high on my last doctor visit. I am taking Omega 3 and watching the fat intake. Carbs turn into fats as well but I certainly do not need extra fats in my diet. I really do not believe in the Atkins type diets for long term weight loss. I have tried it before. I lost 15 pounds in two weeks on the Atkins diet one time but quickly gained it back. It is really hard to keep the carbs that low for an extended period of time. I was doing 40 grams of carbs a day which is really tough. 1 slice of bread is 12 grams , 1 potato (plain) is 37 grams. You get the idea.

Last edited by gguerra; 07-24-2014 at 11:56 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 11:57 AM

My triglycerides were good until I started losing weight. Now they're too high. I asked my doctor if it could be from fat being released into the bloodstream as I lose weight, but she said that was unlikely and prescribed a statin.

One of my neighbors is doing really well on Atkins but personally I had to find something that will work long-term and I didn't think I could do Atkins forever.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:00 AM

295 posts, read 832,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My triglycerides were good until I started losing weight. Now they're too high. I asked my doctor if it could be from fat being released into the bloodstream as I lose weight, but she said that was unlikely and prescribed a statin.

One of my neighbors is doing really well on Atkins but personally I had to find something that will work long-term and I didn't think I could do Atkins forever.
When I first started a low carb-slightly higher fat diet, my cholesterol went up a bit, then dropped dramatically. My trigs at last reading 3 months ago, were 72. Been doing this 5 years and my cholesterol has remained constant (since that first initial reading that had increased a bit).

In my opinion, use "good" fats. Coconut oil, olive oil, real butter, real cream/half and half. I eat 30-50 carbs per day and use coconut oil and butter and cream generously. Fats help decrease my appetite and I do not gain weight from fats, only too many carbs.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
When diabetic and experimenting with diets keep a tube of sugar pills in your pocket just in case you have a low sugar event...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes