Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 02:36 PM

218 posts, read 394,188 times

Advertisements

Nothing debilitating but peeing more at night sometimes. Thirsty (but not a lot) tired after eating sugar. My feet are dry and sometimes they feel achy and burning. Last fasting blood test my blood sugar was 75. I barely ever get sick. Cuts and bruises heal easily, I never had problems with my teeth. I actually had one root canal (there was an infection from a root canal done wrong years ago) and they said I must be pretty healthy because it healed so quickly. Now while I've always struggled with weight (I suffer from food addiction and now hypothyroidism). I've exercised regularly for 15 years for at least 30 minutes 5 days a week (and I work out pretty hard usually on the elliptical or walk/jog with intervals getting my heart rate up). Could that be what has kept me from other issues (yet)? I need to probably get and A1C test but I guess since my fasting blood work was 75 they didn't think I needed it. One thing that alway bothered me was once about 15 years ago I had a bad flu. They found sugar in my urine and took blood work. My fasting BP was 200 and A1C was 9. 3 weeks later I got my fasting blood work tested it again after eating really healthy for 3 weeks it was 118. 6 months later I lost 50 lbs and it was 90 and my A1C was 5.5. I've fluctuated in weight since then but alway exercised from that point on. I notice though if I eat sweets I get tired and irritable. If I exercise that gets rid of it. And if I exercise hard before eating any sweets, I don't get irritable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 02:52 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
You can get a mail-in A1C test at Walmart. I think it's about $10.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:11 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Cranky after high carb meals, hum, reactive hypoglycemia comes to mind.
I'd buy a cheap meter and start testing after meals that make you feel funny. Also, getting the HB1AC done is a good idea.

Read more: Hypoglycaemia (low blood glucose) in non-diabetic people
Follow us: @NetDoctor on Twitter | NetDoctorUK on Facebook

Reactive hypoglycaemia
Reactive hypoglycaemia is possibly the most common reason for hypoglycaemia in non-diabetics but is often overdiagnosed.
This form of hypoglycaemia is probably caused by an overproduction of insulin from the pancreas after a large meal with a lot of carbohydrates

Old 12-12-2014, 08:16 AM

10 posts, read 14,638 times
Hi Adrian4488,

That's unfortunate to hear of your struggles, but try working on correcting some of your behavioral habits one at a time. If you struggle with sweets & food addiction, try first eliminating all HFCS & trans fats from your diet & most importantly your house & workplace. Even if you still have moments of weakness with food addiction, eliminating some of the toxins tied directly to T2DM will help somewhat.

For the mental component of food addiction, that usually needs the help & guidance of professionals & group support. When you are ready, consider trying Overeater's Anon. And finding a therapist that agrees with your personality.

Overeaters Anonymous - I put my hand in yours, and together we can do what we could never do alone.
Find a Therapist, Psychologist, Counselor - Psychology Today
Psychologist Locator - Welcome / Text Search

A side note on A1C, it can vary greatly in terms of helpfulness. The metrics to be concerned with the most is your postprandial blood sugar levels. This is the best indicator for how food agrees, or disagrees, with your body.

Why hemoglobin A1c is not a reliable marker

Healthfully Yours,
Frank

Old 12-12-2014, 12:42 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Get yourself checked out ASAP.

I suffered symptoms for several years, but attributed my problems to other things. My result was severe peripheral and lateral neuropathy and a blood sugar of over 400. The blood sugar is much better, but still around 150 and the lateral neuropathy is less problematic, but the peripheral (feet and lower calves particularly) still hurts like hell.

You dont want to delay. Type 2 is easily controllable if you address it early.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:00 AM

77 posts, read 214,990 times
Why not get a home test kit? At Walgreens you can get a kit with 10 strips for about $10, or go to Walmart if you plan on taking it more often. If you're concerned, check in the AM regularly when you wake up and then 2 hours after eating. If nothing else, it will be peace of mind for a cheap price.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:46 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Get yourself checked out ASAP.

I suffered symptoms for several years, but attributed my problems to other things. My result was severe peripheral and lateral neuropathy and a blood sugar of over 400. The blood sugar is much better, but still around 150 and the lateral neuropathy is less problematic, but the peripheral (feet and lower calves particularly) still hurts like hell.

You dont want to delay. Type 2 is easily controllable if you address it early.
400! Whoa!

I too have just recently been diagnosed, but after a few years of being pre. The thing for me was I had to take a round of steroids that threw me into the diabetic range, and along with it has come the nerve pain in my lower calves and feet, especially my left.

My A1C had hovered at 5.9 for quite a time, and then spiked to 6.7 (150-160 mmol/l)

I've found that if I stay completely off processed carbs (white flour, white rice, noodles) my range stays in the 140-150 range during the day, but I'm still not doing well with my fasting numbers which range from 105-140, and that's a real problem. I believe it can be controlled with more weight loss (12 lbs so far)
-----
My boss was recently diagnosed with full on diabetes. He was feeling weak and tired, so he went in for a checkup. He is physically active and his weight WAS perfect. In just a year he jumped from normal blood sugar, to over 300. Needless to say he was put on meds.

He went on a crash diet, cut out every bit of processed carbs and sugar. Within 3 months he had lost 22lbs (5' 11' 155lbs) and his fasting number came back down to the 100 range. The doc took him off the meds and he's in an observation stage to see how he does. They believe his is hereditary, but may still be controlled by diet. I hope this is the case.

---

We both use blood checkers daily and keep records to see how we are doing after meals and in the morning (fasting)

Anyone with diabetes needs to check blood daily to make sure they aren't spiking, and to determine why if they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes