Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 03:40 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times

Advertisements

@syracusa

BG numbers in the 80's are definitely NON-diabetic. If you have a genetic pre-disposition to diabetes which it sounds like you do, I would suggest to just maintain a sensible diet and at least a moderate level of exercise. Don't go overboard on the carbs and especially sugar. You should be just fine. The true test of how your metabolism responds to glucose is to test yourself an hour after eating something like a slice of cake. I cannot set your mind at ease as far as something like cancer is concerned but diabetes (type 2) should be totally preventable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 07:50 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
@syracusa

BG numbers in the 80's are definitely NON-diabetic. If you have a genetic pre-disposition to diabetes which it sounds like you do, I would suggest to just maintain a sensible diet and at least a moderate level of exercise. Don't go overboard on the carbs and especially sugar. You should be just fine. The true test of how your metabolism responds to glucose is to test yourself an hour after eating something like a slice of cake. I cannot set your mind at ease as far as something like cancer is concerned but diabetes (type 2) should be totally preventable.
If I try the glucose test with one hour after eating a piece of cake, what results should I be looking for?

Also, should I eat the cake on its own, without a prior meal?

As for my hypochondria, I wish cancer could be somehow preventable so I won't torture myself every time I get a random ache or pain or anything else that might pop up. I don't have any cancer history in my family but I had 2 ct scans in my life and more recently I started obsessing over the radiation effects of those for the long term.

Hypochondria can really destroy quality of life.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:43 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
By itself would be the way to do it. After thinking about it, having a sugary drink would be even better to test yourself.

I don't know what you like to drink but as an example, a regular coca cola contains 39g of carbs (12oz). The peak should still be about an hour but everybody's different.

This guy tested his blood sugar spikes in comparing two slices of bread to one can of coke. If you will notice, his numbers never went above the mid 100's. That is a true sign of a non-diabetic. A real diabetic would have spiked higher, even if his/her diabetes was controlled with meds and/or insulin.

Bread and Coke Smackdown! - A Blood Sugar Experiment | Quitting Sugar

Old 01-16-2015, 10:17 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
By itself would be the way to do it. After thinking about it, having a sugary drink would be even better to test yourself.

I don't know what you like to drink but as an example, a regular coca cola contains 39g of carbs (12oz). The peak should still be about an hour but everybody's different.

This guy tested his blood sugar spikes in comparing two slices of bread to one can of coke. If you will notice, his numbers never went above the mid 100's. That is a true sign of a non-diabetic. A real diabetic would have spiked higher, even if his/her diabetes was controlled with meds and/or insulin.

Bread and Coke Smackdown! - A Blood Sugar Experiment | Quitting Sugar
So I should try it with two slices of bread or one can of coke.

I can do the former no problem (heck, I could do it with 5 slices of bread at one time...that's how much of a bread lover I am) but I am not sure about the coke. I can't stand drinking so much sugary stuff.
I remember going through the glucose test when I was pregnant, and it was awful.
I did pass it though - then again, I was in my early and mid thirties then.

So I should be looking at numbers no more than 150, is that correct?

What if someone is a pre-diabetic or just plain insulin resistant?

I assume, the lower below 150,the better.

Two days ago when I still couldn't figure out whether my meter works, I ate a small bowl of oatmeal with some nuts and a little bit of honey in it. After about an hour and a half, my glucose was 124 - as measured by the pharamcist who tried the meter on me to show me how it works.

That being said, an oatmeal bowl is probably less glycemic than 2 slices of bread or a can of coke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes