Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:04 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,854 times

Advertisements

Artificial sweetners have become popular within the last several decades, particularly among diabetics and dieters trying to control their blood sugar and their body fat. Do these artifical sweeteners really work for these purposes though? The answer is a simple "no."

The artificial sweetners in question are aspartame sold under the trade names Equal, Nutrasweet, and others... Sucralose sold under the trade name Splenda.

Both of these artifical sweetners elevate blood glucose which in turn stimulates higher release of insulin. Of course raising blood glucose is not safe for diabetics. The idea behind sugar diabetes is to get the blood sugar down not to elevate it. And as far as weightloss, when you create insulin spikes, insulin creates fat deposition in the body.

Therefore, both of these sweetners only raise your blood glucose and can also increase your body fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 12:47 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,230,381 times
I have wonderful luck with Splenda. It hasn't affected my readings, which are better since I dropped Glyburide AND Metaformin in favor of Glucocil and Sugar Equilibrium II; and, I'm losing weight at a good clip though I've always had difficulty in the past. (Taking natural supplements apparently is doing the trick.)

I have used Splenda since it hit the market. I tried Stevia and Truvia and do not like them at all; the Stevia I purchased is stashed in case I run out of Splenda and HAVE to use it for a sweetener.

Both claims are wrong, at least for me. My readings are lower, and the weight is coming off! I give credit to the two natural supplements, too. I started writing my tests in a calendar for my doctor to look at since she was alarmed that I had abandoned my prescriptions. What did she have to say? "Amazing! Keep up the good work!" She was ready to put me on insulin!

I've never had a doctor or dietitian attack the use of Splenda. When I was in the hospital in December for acute pancreatitis, I asked for it to be served in my tea and received it.

I swear that there have been "freaked-out" reports since artificial sweeteners came on the market. I can recall the clamor over cyclamates. Our family doctor asked my mother, "Are your daughters going to drink a bathtubful of Tab? Then, don't worry!" From one sweetener to another, we never had problems except that some had much better flavor. I haven't found anything that beats Splenda/Splenda with fiber.

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 05-07-2015 at 01:13 AM..

Old 05-07-2015, 07:41 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
I dropped Glyburide AND Metaformin in favor of Glucocil and Sugar Equilibrium II
Just wondering, how has replacing your meds with the supplements affected your A1C and overall BG readings. Do you test an hour or two after meals to see if they are working? Have you adjusted carb intake? I am still on Metformin and Glipizide although I cut the dose in half. I have significantly reduced carb intake and felt I could do this after testing myself over the course of a couple of months and then getting the A1C test from the doctor.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:20 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
I lost over 60 lbs guzzling iced tea sweetened with Splenda. Now I'm using Xylitol. Not as sweet but a natural product to the liver as the liver makes it to as I'm told. I'd like more info on it. The bag I have says it is made from plant fibers.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:30 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
They do not elevate blood sugar in their pure form. The packets contain maltodextrin which will elevate the blood sugar but pure versions can be ordered on amazon. Liquid splenda drops, stevia drops, saccharin tablets, "newtame" neotame powder, etc.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:32 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
They do not elevate blood sugar in their pure form. The packets contain maltodextrin which will elevate the blood sugar but pure versions can be ordered on amazon. Liquid splenda drops, stevia drops, saccharin tablets, "newtame" neotame powder, etc.
Maltodextrin raises my blood sugar and I had to go to the drops. They are harder to convert in some recipes but better that than high blood sugar.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:01 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Artificial sweetners have become popular within the last several decades, particularly among diabetics and dieters trying to control their blood sugar and their body fat. Do these artifical sweeteners really work for these purposes though? The answer is a simple "no."

The artificial sweetners in question are aspartame sold under the trade names Equal, Nutrasweet, and others... Sucralose sold under the trade name Splenda.

Both of these artifical sweetners elevate blood glucose which in turn stimulates higher release of insulin. Of course raising blood glucose is not safe for diabetics. The idea behind sugar diabetes is to get the blood sugar down not to elevate it. And as far as weightloss, when you create insulin spikes, insulin creates fat deposition in the body.

Therefore, both of these sweetners only raise your blood glucose and can also increase your body fat.
Science says otherwise.

Aspartame use by persons with diabetes. - PubMed - NCBI

Old 05-20-2015, 08:41 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Since there was no difference between the two sets of subjects, it doesn't appear to help either. I'll stick to nothing or stevia.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:54 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Since there was no difference between the two sets of subjects, it doesn't appear to help either. I'll stick to nothing or stevia.
Compared to a placebo that wasn't sugar.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:13 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
My dietitian recommended Splenda. I can't tell the difference between that and sugar. I also love Xylitol chewing gum. It doesn't leave a sugary coating on my teeth and it tastes just like sugar. Xylitol is made from Birch trees.

As with anything else, moderation is the key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes