Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 01:57 AM

4 posts, read 2,883 times

Advertisements

I have been recently diagnosed with Hypothyroidism that I believe to be Hashimoto. My primary physician did not give me the official diagnosis as Hashimoto but according to my lab results that is what it appears be. My Anti-TPO Ab is 418 IU/ml (previous result is 335, normal is <35) and my Anti-Thyroglobulin is 44 IU/ml (previous is 27, normal <40). I am 34 years old

I have been feeling very tired after eating a meal sometimes to the point where I have to lay down. I don't remember feeling so sleepy and tired as I have been feeling. Sometimes its worse than others where the tired feeling does not dissipate for several hours after eating. My A1C is 5.3 and 5.4. My blood sugar was 70. On paper it does not appear that I have diabetes. But I feel extremely tired after I eat if I am not careful. I read Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disorder and there is an increased risk of having other autoimmune disorders such as Diabetes Type I. Otherwise I am 'healthy'... my BMI is 21, BP is low (90/60), cholesterol is low, and I exercise. Does anybody else have adult onset Type I Diabetes due to autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto's? Any advice will be helpful. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 08:51 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx81 View Post
I have been recently diagnosed with Hypothyroidism that I believe to be Hashimoto. My primary physician did not give me the official diagnosis as Hashimoto but according to my lab results that is what it appears be. My Anti-TPO Ab is 418 IU/ml (previous result is 335, normal is <35) and my Anti-Thyroglobulin is 44 IU/ml (previous is 27, normal <40). I am 34 years old

I have been feeling very tired after eating a meal sometimes to the point where I have to lay down. I don't remember feeling so sleepy and tired as I have been feeling. Sometimes its worse than others where the tired feeling does not dissipate for several hours after eating. My A1C is 5.3 and 5.4. My blood sugar was 70. On paper it does not appear that I have diabetes. But I feel extremely tired after I eat if I am not careful. I read Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disorder and there is an increased risk of having other autoimmune disorders such as Diabetes Type I. Otherwise I am 'healthy'... my BMI is 21, BP is low (90/60), cholesterol is low, and I exercise. Does anybody else have adult onset Type I Diabetes due to autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto's? Any advice will be helpful. Thank you.
Highly unlikely.
Diagnosis based on A1C Level
Normal: below 5.7 percent
Prediabetes: 5.7 to 6.4 percent
Diabetes: 6.5 percent or above

Other things can make you have those symptoms including hypothyroidism.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:25 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
No, but with Hashimoto's, most are sensitive to gluten. Try taking it out of your diet (it's in almost everything), and see if you feel better.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
From what i've read type 1 diabetics are born with the condition,its hard to imagine living into adulthood with type 1 diabetes and not knowing you have it..
Following up on adventuregurls recommendation read the book called "Wheat Belly"

Old 09-06-2015, 11:11 PM

4 posts, read 2,883 times
Thank you all for your replies. I have cut out, for the most part to my knowledge, gluten out of my diet. Reason for this is because I believe that it affects my Thyroid and increased my TSH dramatically. I wanted to rule out Celiac Disease (symptoms of stomach pain and joint pain at times) and had to eat gluten prior to having an endoscopy done. I was not eating gluten regularly (bread, pasta, etc.) before, but was not completely gluten free. The results showed that i have Gastritis but no Celiac disease. In addition to that, my DNA test came back negative for the likelihood of having Celiac Disease. After all of this, I had blood work done at my primary care doctor and my TSH jumped to 11 from 5 before. Based on these results, I believe I am sensitive to gluten and that it affects my Thyroid.

I was reading about Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA) Type 1.5 Diabetes. In this type of Diabetes, there are antibodies that attack the pancreas and its adult onset. Initially one does not require insulin but eventually they will since the pancreas is being destroyed. So the person will progress to having Type I Diabetes. This correlates to the reason someone with Hashimoto's can develop Type I Diabetes since both are autoimmune disorders.

I suppose the only way to know for sure is to check for the antibodies. I will be thrilled to know I don't have Diabetes but based on my symptoms and with my other health issues I am not certain. I have also read that one of the earliest indicators of Diabetes is if the post prandial blood glucose is within normal limits. It is more important than the A1C and pre prandial.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:03 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx81 View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I have cut out, for the most part to my knowledge, gluten out of my diet. Reason for this is because I believe that it affects my Thyroid and increased my TSH dramatically. I wanted to rule out Celiac Disease (symptoms of stomach pain and joint pain at times) and had to eat gluten prior to having an endoscopy done. I was not eating gluten regularly (bread, pasta, etc.) before, but was not completely gluten free. The results showed that i have Gastritis but no Celiac disease. In addition to that, my DNA test came back negative for the likelihood of having Celiac Disease. After all of this, I had blood work done at my primary care doctor and my TSH jumped to 11 from 5 before. Based on these results, I believe I am sensitive to gluten and that it affects my Thyroid.

I was reading about Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA) Type 1.5 Diabetes. In this type of Diabetes, there are antibodies that attack the pancreas and its adult onset. Initially one does not require insulin but eventually they will since the pancreas is being destroyed. So the person will progress to having Type I Diabetes. This correlates to the reason someone with Hashimoto's can develop Type I Diabetes since both are autoimmune disorders.

I suppose the only way to know for sure is to check for the antibodies. I will be thrilled to know I don't have Diabetes but based on my symptoms and with my other health issues I am not certain. I have also read that one of the earliest indicators of Diabetes is if the post prandial blood glucose is within normal limits. It is more important than the A1C and pre prandial.
Not sure why you are so focused on being a diabetic, but okay.....

Go buy yourself the cheap glucose meter, along with the cheap strips at Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, or such, and test yourself. My suggestion is test right before you eat, then 1 hour and 2 hours afterwards to give yourself a clear picture of what your body is doing.
Quote:
The American Diabetes Association suggests the following targets for most nonpregnant adults with diabetes. More or less stringent glycemic goals may be appropriate for each individual.
A1C: 7%
A1C may also be reported as eAG: 154 mg/dl
Before a meal (preprandial plasma glucose): 80–130 mg/dl
1-2 hours after beginning of the meal (Postprandial plasma glucose)*: Less than 180 mg/dl
Checking Your Blood Glucose (Blood Sugar): American Diabetes Association®
You might be able to convince your doctor to give you a glucose challenge test if your A1c was iffy and you were having other symptoms. Your A1c is not even close to iffy. Most people with diabetes dream of those numbers. You really would prefer to test it on your own first as described because the actual medically done version, which is usually reserved for pregnant women, has you drink disgusting stuff, takes a long time, and if your are diabetic will often make you sick to the point of feeling like crap for days afterwards.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
sphinx81 you seem to be putting a lot of credibility in what you read and hear from various sources and not taking seriously what your doctors are saying,i doubt we here on the forum can verify or give credible answers to your speculations on your health conditions.
"My A1C is 5.3 and 5.4. My blood sugar was 70".with numbers like these you dont have diabetes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes