Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2016, 09:31 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

My Son has been insulin dependent for the past 17 years, he has Cigna Health coverage also for years. He just got a letter that effective 7/1/16 they will no longer pay for Novolog and he needs to find a generic. Problem is, there is no generic that works for him.

He called his Dr today and they hadn't heard about this, and asked for a copy of the letter to review and possibly appeal. But it doesn't look promising. Almost seems impossible that they can say "Sorry, you are now on your own !"

Have any of you been affected by this and what are you doing ?

Thanks,

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 09:40 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I take a prescription that my insurance generally doesn't cover. My doctor thought it was the best choice for my particular situation and sent in paperwork to get the insurance to cover it. After a year, the insurance said I had to try one of their covered alternatives before they would authorize it again. I tried it and had a serious allergic reaction. After that, my doctor sent in paperwork again and the insurance is covering the medication again.

There has to be some sort of process for your son to appeal the change and get his medication covered again.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,783 times
Novolog is the generic of Humalog.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:42 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paquita View Post
Novolog is the generic of Humalog.
Both are quick acting insulins but they are not exactly the same drug.

OP, your son may be able to switch to Humalog with no problem. If his doctor does not think that will be a good idea he can appeal the decision by the insurance company.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:28 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
My Son has been insulin dependent for the past 17 years, he has Cigna Health coverage also for years. He just got a letter that effective 7/1/16 they will no longer pay for Novolog and he needs to find a generic. Problem is, there is no generic that works for him.

He called his Dr today and they hadn't heard about this, and asked for a copy of the letter to review and possibly appeal. But it doesn't look promising. Almost seems impossible that they can say "Sorry, you are now on your own !"

Thanks,

Don
I also thought Novalog was the generic version of Humalog. At any rate, you may be able to get a discount card for Humalog at their website.

Humalog U-200 Kwikpen - Humalog (insulin lispro injection, USP [rDNA origin])

Scroll to the bottom where it says "need a card" ? click on "get a savings card"

I'm not sure if they ask for financial info, but they will ask for insurance info.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:09 AM

55 posts, read 30,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Thanks,

Don

Fight fight fight..

First. novolog and humalog are similar.. BUT Novolog is the name brand of aspart and humalog is name brand of Lispro.

There is no generic version of either at this point.

I remember one of my insurance wouldn't cover Humalog but would cover Novolog so I briefly switched brands.. You could try that.

BUT you need to fight it with the insurance company.. and take it as far as fighting it to the external insurance board. It's complete BS (I hate our healthcare system and I hate insurance companies.. evil SOB's)

Other alternative may be to purchase it from canada https://www.canadianinsulin.com/novo...nsulin-aspart/

They have it at around $80 a vial versus around $300 here in the states. Seems Novolog is less expensive than humalog (which is currently $325/vial) .

Here are the 2016 guidelines for treatment with intensive insulin therapy with short acting insulin as being the standard of care. This varies on you and your personal case (for example, if you hav a history of hypo they suggest pump therapy with short acting works best).

Good luck.. fight them like hell .. the freaking evil bastards!

canadian insulin site

https://www.canadianinsulin.com/novo...nsulin-aspart/

Humolog is $175 for 2 vials vs $325 for1 in the U.S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes