Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2016, 09:45 PM

200 posts, read 182,833 times

Advertisements

Wondering about the diabetes and triglyceride connection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 07:45 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
The connection is insulin resistance and IMO over consumption of carbohydrates.

In type 2 diabetics, insulin fails to suppress blood sugar production by the liver while allowing the production of triglycerides. This combination results in high blood sugar and a fatty liver.

It's all in the liver. Cut down on the carbs and your triglycerides will come down. I follow a low carb high fat diet and my triglycerides numbers have plummeted. I was in the high 300's and even over 400 one time. My last test was 114. I also eat all the fatty foods I want without the carbohydrates. Think guacamole without the chips. So contrary to popular belief, eating fatty foods does not cause high triglycerides. Cholesterol is another matter and that is another debate. I also take a statin so my total cholesterol a couple of weeks ago was 145.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:33 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
The things that add to a sugar high as in flour, rice, white potatoes... are just a no no for me. At one time my triglyceride level was 3110. Cholesterol 590. Now very normal. The rule of thumb the doc gave me was white is a no no. It seems to be partly caused by genes. It ran in the paternal side of the family. If insulin resistance is a problem then the fewer carbs total is better according to several publications that are easy to find. After eating to control blood sugar for some months, weigh melted off. After the holidays 20 of it was back but now mostly gone with nothing radical. In a word if it is hypoglycemic it can add to triglycerides from what I read. Research for controls at Mayo Clinic dot com or other such places rather than an independent blog writer looking for a living off of the troubles of others.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:48 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
The things that add to a sugar high as in flour, rice, white potatoes... are just a no no for me. At one time my triglyceride level was 3110. Cholesterol 590.
Are you sure? 3110 for triglycerides? Even the 590 for cholesterol is the highest I've ever heard of. Sounds like you were a ticking time bomb..

Old 07-13-2016, 12:56 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Are you sure? 3110 for triglycerides? Even the 590 for cholesterol is the highest I've ever heard of. Sounds like you were a ticking time bomb..
Those readings were from the first testing I had ever had. Several tests were ordered as I had been admitted to a hospital for severe chest pains. Never will forget the Friday before Labor Day of 1989. Over time they came down but still way to high. Lopid has triglyceride now at 66. Good cholesterol is very good and the bad is way way down in the cellar. Statin drugs never did a thing. Can't take one now for the muscle pain they cause. For 6 months just Lopid and Repatha injectable. So far no side effects from Repatha. Triglycerides are a fat as is Cholesterol if memory is correct. Both part of the lipid panel test. For strictly triglycerides Lopid is fast to bring down for me. Brother with same problem can't take Lopid but can Lipitor. Individual chemistries prove medicine is not an exact science.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:09 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Diabetes is caused by an unhealthy diet with little exercise and it can also come from your genes. The low carb high fat diets work. You'd want to avoid most anything white and most anything with added sugar. There are lots of diet products that are actually great. Sugar free Popsicles are fabulous as well as any of the sugar free candies. Almonds are a great snack as well as raspberries. You can cut back on the potato chips by buying Veggie Straws. These are a low carb kinda chip that uses some potato mixed with veggie flour. Just learn to avoid the starches and eat more green things. Celery with guacamole is a great snack. You'd be surprised at the diet sodas too. Diet RC to me is great, better than the sugared one. Diet Seven Up Cherry is another good one. Then there is Crystal Light in Lemonade that's also good. Sugar free pudding, sugar free Jello in my opinion is better than the sugared ones. Once you learn what to eat, the levels across the board will fall. My first blood test came back with A1C at 11.2 and cholesterol at 232. Ninety days later I'm at A1C 6.1 and Cholesterol at 166. No exercise yet, just diet. All other levels of my blood came back in the normal range and I've always had high cholesterol and triglycerides for the last 55 years, I'm 69 now. As it was explained to me in a webinar from Duke University, the fats slow the conversion of carbs to sugar. That gives you time to burn off some of the sugar and avoid the sugar spikes. So start eating a lot healthier, get more activity under your belt, and avoid the problems you're going to face if you don't.
You can buy the straws in pre-packaged bags in a box. There are about 38 to a pre-packaged bag which is 19 carbs. Normal intake of carbs per American Diabetes is 300 per day. Keep it to 100 or less and you should be fine. I keep mine at 50 or less and no, my stomach doesn't think somebody slit my throat. Count carbs not calories and watch everything straighten out.
Veggie Straws - Walmart.com

Old 08-16-2016, 02:16 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,252 times
I keep my triglycerides normal with COQ10.When I ran out & didn't reorder immediately, they shot up to over 500. Back on COQ10 & normal again.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
if you are suspecting you are at risk for diabetes you should visit a diabetic clinic.Eg for the Philadelphia area=https://www.google.ca/search?site=&s...k1.xe9uSakiEBk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes