Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 10:49 PM

472 posts, read 438,450 times

Advertisements

I have a blood sugar in the mid 90's so I've become conscientious about watching it and talked to my doctor about it. He told me that he had his blood sugar checked and it was 113, close to the diabetic range. He proceeded to work out and change his diet and when he had it rechecked, it was 93. It is possible for BS to drop that much and is all it takes working out and eating better? I've just never heard of what seems like a fairly substantial drop of 20 mg/dl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 11:58 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Believe your doctor, he's correct.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:50 AM

13 posts, read 11,880 times
@HarryWarden:

I don't know your situation so my comments are generally speaking. I would not be doing daily blood sugar tests with a meter unless I had my A1c checked and it indicated I was prediabetic. That said, a fasting blood sugar at or near 100 is ideal. The fasting test is done first thing in the morning before you eat. The blood sugar goes up after you eat but in a well functioning pancreas the sugar levels will come down to normal 1 to 2 hours after the meal. Of course, with a diabetic all of this is a challenge and it must be monitored several times a day to really understand how fasting, food and exercise can affect your blood sugar levels. If you are a diabetic, I can assure you that with or without exercise, your bs levels can easily range a 100 mg/dl in a single day.

The real question is can exercise alone keep your blood sugar controlled and the answer is with many people, especially prediabetic Type II patients, YES! There is absolutely no downside to exercising for diabetics. Every other associated medical condition such as blood pressure, cholesterol, and weight will benefit from regular exercise. If you did nothing more than take a long walk every day, you would be well ahead of the game.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip2u2 View Post
@HarryWarden:

I don't know your situation so my comments are generally speaking. I would not be doing daily blood sugar tests with a meter unless I had my A1c checked and it indicated I was prediabetic. That said, a fasting blood sugar at or near 100 is ideal. The fasting test is done first thing in the morning before you eat. The blood sugar goes up after you eat but in a well functioning pancreas the sugar levels will come down to normal 1 to 2 hours after the meal. Of course, with a diabetic all of this is a challenge and it must be monitored several times a day to really understand how fasting, food and exercise can affect your blood sugar levels. If you are a diabetic, I can assure you that with or without exercise, your bs levels can easily range a 100 mg/dl in a single day.

The real question is can exercise alone keep your blood sugar controlled and the answer is with many people, especially prediabetic Type II patients, YES! There is absolutely no downside to exercising for diabetics. Every other associated medical condition such as blood pressure, cholesterol, and weight will benefit from regular exercise. If you did nothing more than take a long walk every day, you would be well ahead of the game.

Two questions:

1. Why wouldn't you do the daily blood sugar tests? What is the downside to doing them? I don't do them every day but have been at least every other day because I am concerned.

2. So a fasting blood sugar near 100 isn't bad? I had always heard that a fasting level near 100 was high.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:11 AM

13 posts, read 11,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Two questions:

1. Why wouldn't you do the daily blood sugar tests? What is the downside to doing them? I don't do them every day but have been at least every other day because I am concerned.

2. So a fasting blood sugar near 100 isn't bad? I had always heard that a fasting level near 100 was high.
I do daily blood sugar tests because I'm diabetic (Type II, late onset). If it hasn't been established by an A1c blood test that you're a diabetic or prediabetic, why bother with daily blood tests? A1c is a composite score of your sugar levels over a period of time while a metered bs test is a snapshot of your sugar levels at a point in time. You are correct that beyond the cost there is no downside.

If you haven't already, why not have your doctor order an A1c blood test when he does your annual full panel blood test. One blood draw for everything. Based on the A1c, your doctor can advise you of a plan of action.

A fasting bs level of 90 indicates you are neither prediabetic nor diabetic. In fact anything within a range of 80 to 120 would be considered normal. Stress can elevate your blood sugar so don't stress yourself out over this or anything needlessly. Even if there is diabetes in your family, if you stay on a healthy diet (Mediterranean is best), maintain an age and height appropriate weight, and get plenty of exercise, you can keep Type II diabetes at bay indefinitely or certainly avoid complications. Keep in mind that there is no cure and it is hard for most people to reverse diabetes - it is a progressive disease. Try to avoid at all costs letting diabetes get control of your life.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:56 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:
I have a blood sugar in the mid 90's so I've become conscientious about watching it and talked to my doctor about it. He told me that he had his blood sugar checked and it was 113, close to the diabetic range. He proceeded to work out and change his diet and when he had it rechecked, it was 93. It is possible for BS to drop that much and is all it takes working out and eating better? I've just never heard of what seems like a fairly substantial drop of 20 mg/dl.
Are you referring to your fasting blood sugar as being mid 90s? If so, that is within normal range.

I'm type 2, and the only thing that keeps my fasting blood sugar in a good range is metformin. Without metformin, my fasting blood sugar is in the 130s range....with metformin my fasting blood sugar is in the 80-90 range. Exercising has absolutely no effect on my fasting blood sugar.

I control my blood sugar by not eating very few carbohydrates. I don't exercise at all, and my A1c is around 6, which is very good for a diabetic.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Are you referring to your fasting blood sugar as being mid 90s? If so, that is within normal range.

I'm type 2, and the only thing that keeps my fasting blood sugar in a good range is metformin. Without metformin, my fasting blood sugar is in the 130s range....with metformin my fasting blood sugar is in the 80-90 range. Exercising has absolutely no effect on my fasting blood sugar.

I control my blood sugar by not eating very few carbohydrates. I don't exercise at all, and my A1c is around 6, which is very good for a diabetic.
Yeah, fasting Blood Sugar is mid-90's usually. Tested this morning and got an 89, lowest I've seen in a while.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:20 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:
Yeah, fasting Blood Sugar is mid-90's usually. Tested this morning and got an 89, lowest I've seen in a while.
I wouldn't really worry about it then. From the Mayo Clinic... Diabetes Tests and diagnosis - Mayo Clinic

"Fasting blood sugar test. A blood sample will be taken after an overnight fast. A fasting blood sugar level less than 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L) is normal. A fasting blood sugar level from 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L) is considered prediabetes. If it's 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L) or higher on two separate tests, you have diabetes."

Your 90 is not even prediabetes, according to them.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I wouldn't really worry about it then. From the Mayo Clinic... Diabetes Tests and diagnosis - Mayo Clinic

"Fasting blood sugar test. A blood sample will be taken after an overnight fast. A fasting blood sugar level less than 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L) is normal. A fasting blood sugar level from 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L) is considered prediabetes. If it's 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L) or higher on two separate tests, you have diabetes."

Your 90 is not even prediabetes, according to them.
I got a 99 on a test conducted on August 8th. That freaked me out. Not sure how it could have gone down so much but I redid the 89 test and got the same result. Are there other factors that could lead it to have been higher than normal for that one test? It was a test done in the morning after having not eaten anything in more than 8 hours (during which I was sleeping). I was kind of stressed out that morning and conducted the test at work. After getting the 99, I redid the test hoping it was an error of some sort and got a 100.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:55 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
What did you have for dinner the night before and when did you have it?

I've noticed that if I eat a late dinner, my morning BS will be slightly higher. If I have a late dinner of pasta, it will be even higher.

IMO, if you are concerned, just taking daily blood glucose levels aren't helping you in the long run. You should also keep a food diary and keep track of what you eat. That will tell you more than just a blood test in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes