Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2016, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,660 times

Advertisements

I am a recently diagnosed a diabetic, I got myself a one touch meter and my numbers are before eating 17.0 and after eating 21.4. I was on metformin but have run out of them and not got doc until 13th oct, also im on simvastatin im out of those too as doc never prescribed enough, what is worrying me is pain in my legs and joints, has anyone had this pain and can you explain what causes it, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 05:17 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
When you see the doctor, you can discuss your sore legs.

In the US we use a different scale for blood sugar readings. I looked for a conversion table and it said 17.0 is equal to 300 and 21.4 is equal to 400 on our meters, if yours measures mmol/L. If that's accurate, it probably explains why your legs are hurting. Blood sugar above 180 (10.0 on your meter) on a regular basis causes damage all over your body and usually the most noticeable symptom is neuropathy in the legs. You may also notice crawling sensations or a feeling like your feet are burning. Elsewhere in the body, you may notice tingly hands, being really sleepy after meals, and blurry vision that goes back to normal and then blurry again.

You should call your doctor and see if you can be seen sooner. Explain that you're out of your diabetes meds and your numbers are too high.

It doesn't sound like metformin alone is doing enough for you. You probably need another medication in addition to metformin. You also need to change the way you eat. Try cutting out sugary drinks, candy, desserts, bread, pasta, large quantities of rice and any foods with added sugar. Cut back on fruit and don't drink juice. You may feel pretty bad as your numbers come down and you can expect your vision to get really blurry for a little while, but it's better in the long run. Once your numbers are better, you can try adding exercise to help control your diabetes. If the leg pain is too bad to walk for exercise, riding a bike is good too.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:40 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
All I can say is you need to take care of it ASAP. Seek and get medical help and bring those numbers down. The pain is a clear indication of your problem. You may not see other symptoms but I bet you are always thirsty and urinate frequently? You are causing major damage to your body and you need to take care of it NOW or you will regret it later. I tell you this from experience.. Some of the my damage is irreversible and it's too late for me.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
You can read up on diabetic neuropathy = https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-inf...c-neuropathies

that is probably almost surely caused by your diabetes.Your Blood sugar readings are really high as 5-6 would be considered a normal reading.you need a much more intensive approach to control your diabetes as with readings close to 20 your current doctor doesnt seem to be taking your condition seriously, Search Google for a diabetic clinic in your area they will give you access to an endocrinologist a nurse and a dietitian and educate you on what you need to do to control your condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes