Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 12:40 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times

Advertisements

I don't deal with diabetes but talk to many who do. One friend just reported this today and I had heard about Berberine some time ago.

""Okay, on with blood sugar:-

METFORMIN = very bad, very hard on the Kidneys and it wipes out your B12 stores.

BERBERINE = works well, just as good as Metformin without the side- effects. I’ve been taking this formula for 3 1/2 years and noticed that I could even have chocolate bars and pop, if I wanted and that didn’t make a difference with my blood sugar.

CHROMIUM PICOLINATE = works very well too.""
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 12:42 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,112,488 times
I have diabetes. None of those 'supplements' work.

If you have diabetes, take your Metformin.

Diabetes is not a game - you WILL NOT WIN!!!!

Old 10-20-2016, 01:16 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,469,124 times
You can take vitamin B12 supplements with Metformin. Even without Metformin, you can get B12 deficiency if you're don't eat enough meat or dairy products. You have to take regular blood tests for liver enzymes and kidney function, just as you should with supplementation.

You have to be careful taking supplements for diabetes since you can lower your blood sugar too much. If you say you don't deal with diabetes, you're probably not testing your blood glucose or A1c. Berberine may also act as a blood thinner and cause excessive bleeding or interact with blood pressure medications in an unexpected manner.

BERBERINE: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

If you have chromium deficiency, it impairs your body's ability to use glucose. That's why it works for some people. It's not necessarily a treatment for diabetes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_deficiency

You might want to look at Tumeric instead of Berberine. The two are similar supplements. Berberine may be bad for your gallbladder as with Tumeric.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:41 PM

This is scarey:

Metformin Side Effects And Warnings

Reading this and the abnormal stools, got me thinking about my friend who just went thru some pretty major surgery with the stool blockage issues.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,718,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This is scarey:

Metformin Side Effects And Warnings

Reading this and the abnormal stools, got me thinking about my friend who just went thru some pretty major surgery with the stool blockage issues.
Metformin usually causes diarrhea, not blockages. Generally if you eat too many carbs or a really greasy meal while taking metformin, you'll have diarrhea.

The scarier possibility with metformin is lactic acidosis, which is very rare. People who are on metformin shouldn't drink alcohol because it can increase the risk.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:44 PM

17,453 posts, read 38,829,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Metformin usually causes diarrhea, not blockages. Generally if you eat too many carbs or a really greasy meal while taking metformin, you'll have diarrhea.

The scarier possibility with metformin is lactic acidosis, which is very rare. People who are on metformin shouldn't drink alcohol because it can increase the risk.
I take metformin and drink wine every night. Hasn't hurt me yet, and my labs are always good. I do take berberine and it enhances the effects of met, so I can take less met. There are pros and cons to everything.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:18 PM

17,299 posts, read 13,042,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I have diabetes. None of those 'supplements' work.

If you have diabetes, take your Metformin.

Diabetes is not a game - you WILL NOT WIN!!!!
Amen!

If someone is willing to risk their life on a supplement for diabetes, go ahead and kill yourself

We are not talking about a non life threatening disease.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:53 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,469,124 times
Both drugs have their weaknesses. For now, Metformin can be used regularly, while the other cannot.

Metformin doesn't wipe out your B12 stores. It just blocks it from being absorbed. The vitamin is water-soluble so any excess will be secreted in the urine. I've heard of people taking B12 injections to get around it.

We are using the liquid version Riomet. I just switched her over to the new bottle and the fasting blood sugar has jumped by 40-60 points above the average with the old bottle for the last four days. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I see one lot of Riomet has been recalled just over a year ago. I'm trying the tablet form today to see what happens.

In both cases, they were supplemented with berberine (as the title of this thread indicates).

Old 07-02-2019, 11:59 AM

Just got a nice message from a friend on another health group, she is reporting how much Berberine has helped in her diabetes journey and also her heart since she's had a heart attack a while back. So good to hear good news...

Old 07-02-2019, 04:58 PM

17,453 posts, read 38,829,694 times
Yes, I still take berberine - it is great stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes