Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2017, 01:11 PM

719 posts, read 1,058,841 times

Advertisements

Normally my fasting blood sugar would be just over a 100 but the last 3 weeks I stripped even more carbs out of my diet but now my fasting blood sugar is now more like 130 and it stays at 120 or more most of the day.This is all recent.One thing that made me wonder if I am starving my body of too much good carbs is that last night for dinner I had spiral ham ,collard greens and blackeye peas. I checked my sugar 1 hour after eating and it was 106,so better than it had been all day.Should I add some more good carbs back in or has my baseline gone up because my body is using up sugar and stay with my low carb diet? Right now i am under 60 grams of carbs a day. I have had less than 15 grams of carbs so far today.Tonight I am having leftovers so more ham, greens and peas again.Maybe the peas are really good for you. I know they have a lot of fiber in them. I just checked my sugar at 3:45 pm and it was 115 which is better than most of yesterday.

Last edited by senecaman; 01-02-2017 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 08:49 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Fasting BG is sometimes higher due to the Dawn Phenomenon. It sounds like you are not that much of a diabetic, maybe just a pre-diabetic?. I assume you are not on medication? I would not increase carbs if you want to keep it at bay especially simple carbs like sugar or white flour. The ham usually contains other ingredients that have carbs such as sugar but may be neutralized a bit from the fat and protein. The greens are neutral and the beans are good carbs. Beans do not raise my BG much at all and I'm a full T2. Keep doing what you are doing. It sounds fine. Target BG after meals should be no higher than 140 so you are good there.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:57 AM

719 posts, read 1,058,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Fasting BG is sometimes higher due to the Dawn Phenomenon. It sounds like you are not that much of a diabetic, maybe just a pre-diabetic?. I assume you are not on medication? I would not increase carbs if you want to keep it at bay especially simple carbs like sugar or white flour. The ham usually contains other ingredients that have carbs such as sugar but may be neutralized a bit from the fat and protein. The greens are neutral and the beans are good carbs. Beans do not raise my BG much at all and I'm a full T2. Keep doing what you are doing. It sounds fine. Target BG after meals should be no higher than 140 so you are good there.
Thank you-good advice.On thing i was was doing that i think was counter effective and pushing my sugar up was in the morning I would use supplements and herbs that cut blood sugar like chromium . turmeric and cinnamon.I stopped using those yesterday morning and when I checked my sugar at 7 am today it was 105 which is good and more normal for me (it had been around 130 the previous mornings).Normally if my sugar is close to 100 in the morning it tends to fall during the day to the low 90s and sometimes the high 80s in the evening. I am just guessing that my sugar is relatively ok and that taking the supplements makes my body over compensate by making more glucose causing the spike in sugar. Anyway my spike in blood sugar is down at this time so I will keep checking to see what happens from here.As for carbs I would only add good carbs but I plan to keep my carbs at roughly 60 to 70 grams a day.

Last edited by senecaman; 01-03-2017 at 11:21 AM..

Old 10-23-2017, 10:01 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Saw this on NHK Medical Frontiers program. They tell patients to eat fish and fats before rice to stimulate the release of the hormone incretin after the meal which helps to lower blood sugar spikes.

Savings carbs for last may help ward off blood sugar spike for diabetics

Old 10-23-2017, 11:31 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
I have always suspected this was happening but in my case at least, I don't need those simple carbs at all period.

For what?

Old 10-23-2017, 11:47 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
The guy's after meal blood glucose went from 140 to 91 by simply waiting 5 minutes after eating meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes