Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times

Advertisements

I resist taking supplements as they are for the most part non regulated by the government so you dont really know if you are getting what you think you are getting or just some benign powder or fluid packaged in Asia and sent over to America to dupe the gullible. Dietary supplements: a $37 billion-a-year scam? - MarketWatch

Jamin your main case for recommending a plethora of supplements is the fact that you are 80 years old so your logic is they must work,you've told us you eat a healthy diet , i think you would live to this age without the supplements.
Some more food for thought = https://www.google.ca/search?q=Suppl....0.vrfBpU2uiXI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 09:14 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
^^ Scams? I suppose there has never been anything even remotely associated with Big Pharma that could be called a scam?

So is the problem with supplements whether they work or not or whether they are regulated or not?

Certain supplements DO work, so then the issue would be the source. If gotten from a reputable source, certain supplements will be effective. I know for a fact that Turmeric works for my inflammation/arthritis pain and there are exhaustive studies that show that. It also has many other health benefits. I also take Alpha Lipoic Acid for my neuropathy. I know it works and I refuse to take something like Lyrica which by the way is expensive and on TV all of the time and has tons of side effects. They have to pay for all of those commercials.

As for people giving advice here, there is a disclaimer on the main page of the forum. I would hope that people do not come here for medical advice but just information as part of their own research and formulate their own plan for treatment along with the help of their doctor. I for one do not take all of what doctors tell me as gospel. No one knows everything and GP's or MD's or whatever very often fall short of giving us the complete treatment we need. They are great at handing out pills but that is not always the enough. Diet and exercise, as we know is has to make up a large part of treatment when dealing with Diabetes but regular doctors rarely mention it. They seem to think meds will do all the work. I know this is generalizing a bit but this has been my experience.

If I was going to recommend a supplement for blood sugar control it would be Berberine. This is proven to be just as effective as Metformin. This is not what the OP was asking for however and this is FYI only.
https://examine.com/supplements/berberine/

Old 09-18-2017, 09:59 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
This is proven to be just as effective as Metformin. This is not what the OP was asking for however and this is FYI only.
https://examine.com/supplements/berberine/

While it may be just as effective, no insurance company will pay for it. The OP already stated there were financial concerns. Berberine costs about $20 (give or take) for a 30 day supply. Metformin is $4 at Walmart.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
While it may be just as effective, no insurance company will pay for it. The OP already stated there were financial concerns. Berberine costs about $20 (give or take) for a 30 day supply. Metformin is $4 at Walmart.
I paid $18 (now $20) for a 90 day supply, so $6 a month. Not a deal breaker either way plus you DONT need a prescription, With the Metformin you can add all/part of the cost of the doctor visit to it.. In addition you can add part of the premium to it as well. Things are not always that simple.

This product offers the best value and has great reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 09-18-2017, 12:21 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times
How much is shipping?

And my metformin is free.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
How much is shipping?

And my metformin is free.
Shipping is free for Prime members (like me) otherwise it is free for orders over $25.

Here's another one for $14, seems to be a similar product.
https://www.amazon.com/Potency-Berbe...berberine&th=1

Old 09-18-2017, 12:53 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I resist taking supplements as they are for the most part non regulated by the government so you dont really know if you are getting what you think you are getting or just some benign powder or fluid packaged in Asia and sent over to America to dupe the gullible. Dietary supplements: a $37 billion-a-year scam? - MarketWatch

Jamin your main case for recommending a plethora of supplements is the fact that you are 80 years old so your logic is they must work,you've told us you eat a healthy diet , i think you would live to this age without the supplements.
Some more food for thought = https://www.google.ca/search?q=Suppl....0.vrfBpU2uiXI
My main reason why I started on supps at 57, I was into Prevention. I wanted to age and NOT be sick and not take a bunch of pharma drugs. I had been in the ER with a drug interaction = stomach ulcer. That's just one situation.

And IF one can prevent cancer(s) why NOT go that route with a recommended supplement...I heard those words with Pycnogenol in 1995, they may prevent cancer...isn't that music to one's ear or maybe some just want to go thru all the cancer world. And some of us would like to chance prevention.

During that initial period on Pycnogenol, the longtime allergies were cleaned up...this was a surprise to me and a good one and that's been history...no drugs no docs for allergies.

Since then I've read and read so much on Pyc and grape seed ex.

Many here on this forum are great naysayers...and I say whatever. But some do think and do like me...and minds do change.

And it's OK that pharma spends billions on their drugs and tv ads and and and. And one can end up with great side effects from those wonderous drugs.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:11 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Jamin You are a good spokesperson for the supplement industry but i dont trust these cure all supplements that are non government regulated and my doctors dont prescribe them for my maladies.
Some points to ponder =https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Con.../ucm341344.htm

Old 09-18-2017, 02:00 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Jamin You are a good spokesperson for the supplement industry but i dont trust these cure all supplements that are non government regulated and my doctors dont prescribe them for my maladies.
Some points to ponder =https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Con.../ucm341344.htm
They are NOT CURE ALL...they do help.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:53 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Littlelou: Lilly- the maker of Trulicity has a program that may help you pay for your 'script: https://www.trulicity.com/diabetes-t...d-and-support/

To all: many pharm co.'s have similar programs to help with costs. You may have to jump thru a few hoops with financial info forms etc, but it may well be worth it.

BTW- see my post (#33) on this thread Any recommendations of books that discuss REVERSING diabetes? for a ref. site on the value of Trulicity in slowing or even reversing the progression of DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes