Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 05:30 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times

Advertisements

My husband is type 2 diabetic, overweight. He has been getting these bubbles on his legs that are filled with clear fluid inside them. He says they itch and when they pop clear fluid comes out. Some are the size of a dime others are size of a half dollar. Most of them are quarter size or less. He has been getting them on and off for 2 years. The skin is so thin after they pop that sometimes the skin peels off and he is left with raw skin underneath and sometimes it bleeds a little. there have been times where he does not get any. The most recent one was the size of a half dollar, then the skin peeled off and underneath was raw and it bled a little. Now it's scabbed up since then. He seems to think these occur when his sugars are high. I think it could be an auto immune thing. I have researched online but what I am finding does not sound like what my husband has. Doctor suggested wound care such as Hyper Barracks. We have not gone that route yet. He gets sharp pains in his legs too. No sharp pains in his feet and he has feeling in his feet so I don't think it is Neuropathy. Possibly diabetic nerve pain? He is thick headed and I have suggested we see an endocrinologist ( yeah I know he should be seeing one already.)He's 48 and I have read him the riot act many times. it's up to him. I think he's afraid the doctor will say insulin. Right now he's on metformin 1000mg 2 x a day, glimeiperide and Pioglitizone. We are hoping not to go the insulin route. lately his sugars have been between 190-250. Not good. but he has had sugars as low as 140. He's been a diabetic since 2008 but in the last year his sugars have not been great. If anyone has had this issue or know what I am talking about please answer. Helpful advice would be appreciated and I don't need negative criticism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 06:30 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
They are diabetic blisters. And every time one pops or opens, he is susceptible to infections. Infections in a diabetic is baaad news. It could very very quickly lead to amputation. If he waits until he has an infection, it could be too late to stop it. He needs to get to an endo asap and get his diabetes under control, unless he's okay with losing one or both legs.

Sorry to be so blunt about it, but this is nothing to play around with.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
They are diabetic blisters. And every time one pops or opens, he is susceptible to infections. Infections in a diabetic is baaad news. It could very very quickly lead to amputation. If he waits until he has an infection, it could be too late to stop it. He needs to get to an endo asap and get his diabetes under control, unless he's okay with losing one or both legs.

Well said.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:58 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
OP: It's shocking that your husband has not taken CONTROL of what he puts in his body and really worked to clean up his issues. A friend has a friend who let her sugars get so out of control and not long ago had a toe amputated..she has been in rehabs for weeks now and they want her to leave and take care of herself...obviously she doesn't do that. Supposedly her daughter is picking her up and taking her to her home. I have a hard time seeing how people let themselves go. There is so much information at our fingertips.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:33 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
BTW, to be even a little more blunt, amputation is NOT the worst case scenario. It is an attempt to control infection, but not always successful. Do I need to spell out what happens if amputation is not successful in controlling infection?

Old 05-29-2020, 08:08 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
OP, you have gotten good advice here. Yes, those are diabetic blisters, and it's not good. I am sorry your husband doesn't want to take better care of himself, but as you said, you can't make him do it, he has to do it for himself. It's a shame his doctor doesn't get the point across about how serious this can be. He is already on a LOT of medication and still has these issues; he really needs to buckle down on diet and exercise. That alone does more for blood sugar than heaping amounts of meds.

Good luck to both of you.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:

that's ok I realize this and yes this is scary stuff.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
BTW, to be even a little more blunt, amputation is NOT the worst case scenario. It is an attempt to control infection, but not always successful. Do I need to spell out what happens if amputation is not successful in controlling infection?
He has seen it with his father a double amputee who died in 1999 aged 64. I asked his mom if her husband had these ulcers on his legs and she said not that she did not remember but he ended up in a nursing home 3 years before he because she could no longer care for him. She was till working then. You can't make someone take care of themselves although I have tried. He has not been this out of control the whole time he has had this. He also suffers from depression and anxiety but we have medications for those and they are helping.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:23 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
Quote:

Sometimes it's best.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
OP, you have gotten good advice here. Yes, those are diabetic blisters, and it's not good. I am sorry your husband doesn't want to take better care of himself, but as you said, you can't make him do it, he has to do it for himself. It's a shame his doctor doesn't get the point across about how serious this can be. He is already on a LOT of medication and still has these issues; he really needs to buckle down on diet and exercise. That alone does more for blood sugar than heaping amounts of meds.

Good luck to both of you.
Thanks, It's very upsetting to me because I feel like I am reliving what my uncle went through.
Husband is very belligerent. Diabetes screws with your mind too. I am going to have a long talk with him. I will give him some credit he is open to advice and suggestions and he lets me be his healthcare advocate and allows me to voice my opinions but in the end it's up to him to take the next step. His mom says she's concerned but she's afraid to approach him on the subject. I think an intervention is in order. I am looking into an endocrinologists as well. Will get a recommendation form our PC. BTW his doctor is not happy his diabetes is out of control and he has said that but you can't make a person take control of their health. I will keep you up to date on what's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes