Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 01:27 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Some people have the attitude that if you have a disease then you must have done something to cause such a disease. My cholesterol was low until I moved to Italy. Then suddenly my cholesterol shot up high, too high for the medical lab to register the exact number, and now I am on cholesterol meds.

And I keep seeing stuff about this 'Mediterranean' diet. But that is exactly what triggered my cholesterol in the first place.

"If you would just decide to be healthy then you would be healthy". B.S.

I have had prostate cancer, twice. From all of my research, I have not found anything to indicate any diet or lifestyle habit that would have prevented me from having cancer.

Cancer just happens. Most of the time prostate cancer is slow and not an issue, but some times it is aggressive and spreading. And we have no idea what causes prostate cancer.

I have been able to control my A1C by diet.
That is funny. My cholesterol went up when I became a vegetarian. I never had even hit 200 before. Was it that I was eating too much cheese? I don't know. I started eating fish, then some meat after a couple of years, but then I ended up in a situation where I was eating more bread, drinking beer moderately, etc. I went back to the doc and my cholesterol was still high but now my A1C had shot up. He said, "I SHOULD put you on cholesterol and diabetes meds."

I asked him to give me a few months, and he suggested the Mediterranean diet. I followed it pretty well, lots of fish and vegetables, small amounts of bread, very little dairy, walked every day, and after four months, I went back to him 22 pounds lighter. A1C was close to normal, but the cholesterol had only changed two points. He said not to worry about it, so I don't.

Old 01-05-2023, 08:41 PM

686 posts, read 300,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

The only thing that I struggle with is trying to cut out all the unhealthy vegetable oils from my foods. But I’m getting better at it and I hope to be 100% vegetable oil (and other unhealthy oil) free soon. Coconut and olive oil only.
I use only olive oil, for cooking, frying, salads, also for french fries.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 01-07-2023 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 08:40 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rent.in.ny View Post
I use only olive oil, for cooking, frying, salads, also for french fries.
olive oil breaks down and becomes unhealthy at high temperatures, like when frying. I use it cold or for roasting, but use coconut oil for sauteing. I don't deep fry anything.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:19 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
olive oil breaks down and becomes unhealthy at high temperatures, like when frying. I use it cold or for roasting, but use coconut oil for sauteing. I don't deep fry anything.
That's what I learned too. Though I mainly use a variety of oils that way I don't have to worry that X is bad and Y is good, that stuff always changes. I keep olive, grapeseed or avocado oil (high temp), coconut and canola.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-12-2023, 05:22 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Carbs are bad and too many carbs are really bad and will give millions of people diabetes, which is really really bad.

There are apparently many people that can eat carbs with minimal problem, but I think that's a minority as you age.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:05 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Carbs are bad and too many carbs are really bad and will give millions of people diabetes, which is really really bad.
Exactly

Quote:
... There are apparently many people that can eat carbs with minimal problem, but I think that's a minority as you age.
I was fine with carbs until I hit 60yo.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:10 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I stick with mostly a Mediterranean diet and have been on a very low carb approach for nearly 15 years. I am 100% gluten free and avoid all soy ingredients as well. I'm down 40 pounds from my highest weight in 2006 that was 190 pounds, and have only varied between 5-10 pounds of 150 since my diet changed.

Old 01-23-2023, 01:33 PM

623 posts, read 311,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
1. Yes it's absolutely possible for someone whose BMI is fine, and they eat fine, and get exercise, can be diabetic. Poor lifestyle choices are not the only cause of diabetes - only the most common cause.

2. If you are healthy you don't need a "special" diet. You can eat pretty much whatever you want, in moderation.
Not sure what you are saying in 2 above. This is a diabetes forum. We are not talking about healthy people, we are talking about people with diabetes. A special diet is probably the first thing that should be considered. Since we don't handle carbohydrates well, one of the first things often prescribed is limitation of the carbohydrates eaten. What healthy people do has nothing to do with us.

Or did I misunderstand and you meant something else?

Old 01-23-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Not sure what you are saying in 2 above. This is a diabetes forum. We are not talking about healthy people, we are talking about people with diabetes. A special diet is probably the first thing that should be considered. Since we don't handle carbohydrates well, one of the first things often prescribed is limitation of the carbohydrates eaten. What healthy people do has nothing to do with us.

Or did I misunderstand and you meant something else?
Great point, this forum is supposed to be about diabetes so talking about people that don't have it seems irrelevant to this forum unless you're talking about reasons a healthy person becomes diabetic, which is usually eating too many carbs and processed foods.

Old 01-23-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have no idea whether having high cholesterol was inevitable for me. What I do know is that living in Italy and consuming the traditional 'Mediterranean' diet appeared to trigger my cholesterol in the first place.
I watched a Korea study and the biggest factor in lowering lifespan the most is low cholesterol. Even very high cholesterol was not as bad. The longest-lived people had what our AHA considers "high cholesterol."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes