Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 04:56 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times

Advertisements

Luckily my insurance provider is adding them at the first of the year. They will cover these 2 brands Dexcom G6 and Freestyle Libre.

I know nothing about either. Does anybody have either and do you like it? I would love to hear any pros and cons also.

I am very seriously considering getting one and would like some input before I go to my next doctors appointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 07:26 AM

257 posts, read 165,592 times
I am going to get one eventually and I absolutely don't want it connected to a smart phone. The last thing I ever want connected to me is one of those cheese ass phones.

I want a separate monitor that has nothing to do with the internet.

Old 12-27-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootDiabetic View Post
I am going to get one eventually and I absolutely don't want it connected to a smart phone. The last thing I ever want connected to me is one of those cheese ass phones.

I have only researched the Dexcom G6 so far and you can get it with its own receiver so you don't have to hook it to a smart phone.

I have no problems with having a phone but like yourself would like to not have it hooked to my CGM in any way.

Old 12-27-2022, 09:11 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I have only researched the Dexcom G6 so far and you can get it with its own receiver so you don't have to hook it to a smart phone.

I have no problems with having a phone but like yourself would like to not have it hooked to my CGM in any way.
it comes with a separate receiver that will beep if your bs goes too low or too high depending on the limits it is set for. doesnt have to be hooked up to a smartphone but you have to take the receiver with you and not lose it or forget it. seems to work rather well.

Old 12-27-2022, 10:38 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,009 times
I can't compare the two but I absolutely love having a CGM instead of finger pricks. I can't even feel it, including when it was placed on my arm. I don't mind having it link to my phone. Also my doctor can get reports directly from the sensor. Without the alarm I wouldn't know that my blood sugar goes below 70 or above 270.

Old 12-27-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
I can't compare the two but I absolutely love having a CGM instead of finger pricks. I can't even feel it, including when it was placed on my arm. I don't mind having it link to my phone. Also my doctor can get reports directly from the sensor. Without the alarm I wouldn't know that my blood sugar goes below 70 or above 270.
What brand do you have? Does your phone internet have to be on for it to work? I have a cheap Tracfone. I do not care about instant reports to anyone else. So as long as I can get my readings I would be happy. Then when home and hooked to WiFi it could update or whatever else it might need.

Old 12-27-2022, 12:15 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
What brand do you have? Does your phone internet have to be on for it to work? I have a cheap Tracfone. I do not care about instant reports to anyone else. So as long as I can get my readings I would be happy. Then when home and hooked to WiFi it could update or whatever else it might need.
I have the Libre 2. I believe you do need the internet or at least WIFI to use it.

Old 12-27-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
I have the Libre 2. I believe you do need the internet or at least WIFI to use it.
I am now researching this option. On the website is says this:
A Wi-Fi or a mobile data connection is only required for initial FreeStyle Libre 3 app* setup (downloading/ installing the app, creating an account, or signing in) and sharing your glucose information with your Health Care Professionals and LibreLinkUp† users. The FreeStyle Libre 3 app does not require a Wi-Fi or a mobile data connection to scan your sensor, view your glucose readings, and receive alarms‡. During periods when your phone is operating in a disconnected state, your readings will only be uploaded to LibreView§ after a Wi-Fi or mobile data connection is restored.

This is awesome news for me. Now I just have to make sure my phone is one that can use their app. My concern about hooking it to my phone was I would have to have constant internet access.

Old 12-27-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootDiabetic View Post

You can get a separate monitor for the Dexcom G6 and for the Freestyle Libre 2.

From my research today I am leaning towards the Freestyle Libre 3. Only problem is you have to hook it to your phone. Of course my current phone is not on the fairly small list of phones that will work with the app. It is a $169 phone upgrade. After the 1st of the year I can find out how much my insurance will cover because that will also help make my decision. If my insurance covers most of the cost I might go with the Freestyle Libre 2 with their monitor so I don't need a new phone.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:36 PM

257 posts, read 165,592 times
I just bought a new TV and I found it so incredibly obnoxious, the thing asked me for my government name and birthday on the initial nag screen when I turned the thing on. I didnt buy it for any other reason then to use it as a big montor for this PC, of course I gave it fakes.

How incredibly obnoxious that was those set up nag screens,

Just no way I would ever play those cell phone games with my health downloads and "apps"

Here is the dexcom creepshow terms of service https://www.dexcom.com/linked/docume...ice/TermsOfUse

"you are required to accurately complete and maintain the User Account and to provide us with all required information."

required... oh bug off!

Bug off bug off and bug off !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes