Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:10 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Um, no sugar craving is not a sign of candidiasis....it is an unproven fringe theory with no basis in science. There is no such condition as "yeast overgrowth"

Dubious "Yeast Allergies"
There are a lot of people who would disagree with you on this point. EVERY scientifically proven theory was once an "unproven fringe theory". To discount the connection between yeast and a myriad of diseases and disorders is irrational in the face of endless accounts of anecdotal evidence - which is the FIRST STEP to proving a theory scientifically. Until it is proven, considering the possiblity would have merit for any rational mind.

Google "Doug Kaufmann" for informaiton about the possible connection between candida albicans and many medical disorders/diseases.

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 06-29-2008 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: correct typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 08:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvonI95 View Post
Bubalu,
Have you been screened for Diabetes? If not, I think you should look into it. Eating that much sugar, can't be good, considering a lot of processed food has sugar already added.
I think this is the best advice. It just takes a fingerstick or a blood draw. Some docs have the fingerstick equipment in their offices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Doogie Howser--
Symptoms are subjective--the person experiences it. How could "eating too much" be considered objective? Is there an objective view, by a physician, about what "too much is." The person determines it, according to their experience ie)subjective. Same with drinking too much. For one person, it might be 6 glasses a day, for another that would be too much compared to their "normal". A physician can't objectify or measure how much you're drinking--you would determine that as your experience.
Objective or signs might be: Blood glucose fasting is 295, dry redenned skin, walks unsteady into exam room.
Insulin sensitivity is not wholly determined by diet alone, but it is influenced by what you eat. The way your cells take in insulin and how carbs/proteins/fats are absorbed into that cell (metabolism) is influenced by the types of food eaten or diet. If you eat honey on white bread versus a yam, your insulin response is going to be different. Most diabetes organizations have alot of info on their sites about the glycemic index of foods because they know it's a strong factor (what you eat) in controlling diabetes and/or preventing it. There are other factors in insulin sensitivity, too, as you alluded to.
Signs/symptoms, whatever you want to call them of Type I diabetes include: excessive thirst, excessive hunger, excessive urination and weight loss. No, you can't objectively measure the first three, but you can certainly observe them. Excessive thirst in the sense of not being able to get enough to drink, and huge increas in thirst for no apparent reason; ditto excessive hunger. Urination way in excess of usual. Weight loss can be measured.

Diabetics with sugar in their urine are prone to yeast infections.

Wanting to eat a lot of sugar is a learned eating habit.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,495 times
Default Addiction

Craving sugar doesn't mean you have diabetes any more than craving a beer means you have liver disease. You have a sugar addiction like millions of other people. Sugar is as addictive as alchohol and is,in fact, only one molecule away from being alchohol. Unfortunately if you don't break your addiction it could very well lead to diabetes in the future. Sadly, sugar is as hard to quit as cigarettes or alchohol so it won't be easy by a long shot. But do it now. The longer you stay addicted, the harder it is to quit.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:04 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrye View Post
Craving sugar doesn't mean you have diabetes any more than craving a beer means you have liver disease. You have a sugar addiction like millions of other people. Sugar is as addictive as alchohol and is,in fact, only one molecule away from being alchohol. Unfortunately if you don't break your addiction it could very well lead to diabetes in the future. Sadly, sugar is as hard to quit as cigarettes or alchohol so it won't be easy by a long shot. But do it now. The longer you stay addicted, the harder it is to quit.
Yeap i agree with the above poster's statement and would probably add that eating Sugar or High Carbs can induce Serotonin levels which is the feel good Neural Transmitter in the brain.

Probably where the so called Sugar High comes from.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:22 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There are a lot of people who would disagree with you on this point. EVERY scientifically proven theory was once an "unproven fringe theory". To discount the connection between yeast and a myriad of diseases and disorders is irrational in the face of endless accounts of anecdotal evidence - which is the FIRST STEP to proving a theory scientifically. Until it is proven, considering the possiblity would have merit for any rational mind.

Google "Doug Kaufmann" for informaiton about the possible connection between candida albicans and many medical disorders/diseases.

20yrsinBranson
It would be irrational to consider there is such a condition as "yeast overgrowth" in the absence of any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise to the contrary.

Yeast overgrowth does not exist as an entity and there are NOT endless accounts to the contrary.....

Old 10-09-2008, 01:23 PM

434 posts, read 933,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I was interested by your article... there is another thread right now about drug marketing and people being hooked on prescription drugs as a "cure all"... I can see why the FDA would vehemently deny that natural remedies such as acidophilus and grapefruit seed extract could help people, because then they would not be hooked on prescription drugs!

I will take word-of-mouth testimonies from people I know who have been helped by treating for yeast overgrowth over the FDA's gospel anytime.
I agree with you!

I felt it is possible that I am suffering from yeast overgrowth internally.

How can it be diagnosed? Any natural supplement help the condition?

Thanks a lot!

Jinglebell

Old 10-09-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
You need to take Chromium Picolinate 500 mg.
It's a mineral your body is lacking and that's why you crave sweets.
You can find this at the health food stores. After a couple of weeks of taking this, your desire for sweets will lessen. You'll still want them (if there around) but the cravings will be gone.

I will definitely try and thanks a lot!

jinglebell

Old 10-09-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Actually I agree with this statement. Interesting thing is when I was younger, before even married, I had an yeast infection. I was using birth control pills as well as eating crappy (college) diet and I had a strong course of antibiotics against a tooth infection.
My gyno prescribed dyflucan (man I don't think I spelled this one right at all) and I remember distinctly as part of the instruction it said that it fights against "candida". Quite honestly even the third try of this drug didn't help me. Additionally I had intense carb/sugar cravings. Perhaps medical community will call it an "anecdote", but my observation shows that this theory is correct.
The only thing that helped me is cutting out sugar and starch completely as well as taking probiotics and digestive enzymes.

So, perhaps medical community doesn't accept yeast overgrowth as a disease, THAT'S WHY THEY HAVE SUCH HARD TIME TREATING AND CURING PERSISTANT YEAST INFECTIONS IN WOMEN!!!!
And really natural approach like changing the diet works best.
How hard to live a 'sweetless" life!

Just kidding

I will not jump into this type of approach though

Glad you can make it and it helps you

Old 10-09-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
This is strictly my opinion of course, but eating a lot of sugar doesn't seem to me to be a sign of diabetes as much as it is a sign of vitamin & mineral deficiencies, as well as poor diet choices in other areas that end up giving you sugar cravings. Excessive sugar intake certainly isn't a way to avoid diabetes though.

Sugar can be very addicting, just like drugs or alcohol. And when you eat it a lot every day it's very tough to pull away from it, but it can be done.
Can you be more specific about what type of vitamin or mineral?

Thanks a lot1

Jinglebell

Old 10-10-2008, 01:47 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
A sign of Diabetes is thirst and the need to pass water frequently. Eating sugar isn't a sign of diabetes -
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Agree with Jennaflorrie about drinking lots and lots of water and yet never quenching your thirst and also waking up to urinate alot at Night.
great..... I drink a cup of water 3 hours before bed and have to wake up twice to go wee. I think that has to do with more of water going through my system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes