U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2008, 12:02 PM
 
3,738 posts, read 9,425,334 times
Reputation: 6568

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebell View Post
I agree with you!

I felt it is possible that I am suffering from yeast overgrowth internally.

How can it be diagnosed? Any natural supplement help the condition?

Thanks a lot!

Jinglebell

It can't be diagnosed or tested for because it doesn't exist...

There is no test.....you fill out a questionnaire to determine if you have yeast overgrowth.

Dubious "Yeast Allergies"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2008, 03:17 PM
 
2,838 posts, read 8,440,063 times
Reputation: 2834
Don't you fill out a questionaire to determine if you have ADD? I haven't met very many professionals who agree that THAT does'nt exist, but then ADD often "requires" costly medications, where yeast overgrowth does not.

There IS anecdotal "evidence" that yeast overgrowth exists. Why are you denying that? Why is it threatening to you? Many people know many people who insist that they have been helped by treating their yeast overgrowth. Since the treatments are non invasive, safe, and either truly effective or else effective in the placebo sense, what is the harm? Besides harm to the pharma companies' pocketbooks from people not buying their drugs, I mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2008, 05:02 PM
 
3,738 posts, read 9,425,334 times
Reputation: 6568
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Don't you fill out a questionaire to determine if you have ADD? I haven't met very many professionals who agree that THAT does'nt exist, but then ADD often "requires" costly medications, where yeast overgrowth does not.

There IS anecdotal "evidence" that yeast overgrowth exists. Why are you denying that? Why is it threatening to you? Many people know many people who insist that they have been helped by treating their yeast overgrowth. Since the treatments are non invasive, safe, and either truly effective or else effective in the placebo sense, what is the harm? Besides harm to the pharma companies' pocketbooks from people not buying their drugs, I mean?
There is no anecdotal evidence that it exists....thats like saying there is anecdotal evidence the Earth is flat....if something isn't true there is no "evidence" to the contrary.

As for the ADD, not a great example....I think you could find MANY folks that question whether ADD is over diagnosed. Besides, there are not many psychological disorders that have an objective test to back them up.

Come up with an example of a "systemic" organic illness with a pathogenic cause that can't be "tested" for.....not many come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2008, 05:52 PM
 
2,838 posts, read 8,440,063 times
Reputation: 2834
So all of the people who treated their yeast overgrowth symptoms and got better are.... what? Lying? Confused?

If someone fell off the edge of the earth, then that would be anecdotal evidence that the world was flat. No one has ever fallen off the edge of the earth. We have actual proof that the earth is round (satellite pictures and such).

People have had symptoms relieved and cured by treating for yeast overgrowth. How is that NOT anecdotal evidence?

Most doctors insist that ADD exists. I think it's a great example. The people who think it doesn't exist are typically the ones who are wary of big pharma. I think it's the same thing. Some doctors insist that yeast overgrowth does not exist because people have found a way to treat it on their own, without a prescription or medical visits. Other doctors (mainly naturopathic doctors who treat the CAUSE of illness and not just cover up the symptoms) realize that it does exist, and treat accordingly. I can see how that would be threatening to mainstream doctors... but that does not make it false or wrong information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2008, 06:22 PM
 
Location: South FL
9,444 posts, read 14,053,064 times
Reputation: 7976
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebell View Post
How hard to live a 'sweetless" life!

Just kidding

I will not jump into this type of approach though

Glad you can make it and it helps you
Please specify which approach you wouldn't jump into, i'm quite confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2008, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Texas
5,136 posts, read 10,680,418 times
Reputation: 2510
An unquenchable thirst is a symptom of diabetes, but craving sugar is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 05:35 AM
 
3,738 posts, read 9,425,334 times
Reputation: 6568
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
So all of the people who treated their yeast overgrowth symptoms and got better are.... what? Lying? Confused?

If someone fell off the edge of the earth, then that would be anecdotal evidence that the world was flat. No one has ever fallen off the edge of the earth. We have actual proof that the earth is round (satellite pictures and such).

People have had symptoms relieved and cured by treating for yeast overgrowth. How is that NOT anecdotal evidence?

Most doctors insist that ADD exists. I think it's a great example. The people who think it doesn't exist are typically the ones who are wary of big pharma. I think it's the same thing. Some doctors insist that yeast overgrowth does not exist because people have found a way to treat it on their own, without a prescription or medical visits. Other doctors (mainly naturopathic doctors who treat the CAUSE of illness and not just cover up the symptoms) realize that it does exist, and treat accordingly. I can see how that would be threatening to mainstream doctors... but that does not make it false or wrong information.

The "fact" that nebulous symptoms "cured" by placebo treatments does NOTHING to "prove" that a condition (yeast overgrowth) that does not exist is real.....

Yeast overgrowth syndrome is malarkey....as is the claim that naturopaths treat the root cause of illnesses that don't really exist....

It is false and wrong information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,238 posts, read 10,790,216 times
Reputation: 6780
I'm not trying to change the general meaning of this particular thread. Sugar as a sign of Diabetes. I just have a question and need some advice on the subject of being a Diabetic and craving sweets. So if no one minds here goes. I will add my comments also on the subject of this thread. Eating sweets is not a sign of Diabetes. Eating alot of sweets can put you in a position where your body can become overweight and lead you to the road of Diabetes. Eating alot of sweets and carbs and not burning them off properly with exercise can help cause insulin resistance. A precursor to Diabetes for many people.
It best to limit both sugar intake and carbs and really keep up the exercise both weights and especially cardio.

I have diabetes and have for many years. It has been well controlled, and I have exercised and ate a decent diet in all those many years. In fact I am an exercise fanatic. I find I am craving sugar more and more, something that is very out of character for me. I don't have this craving all the time, and have traced it as to when these cravings seems to start. It is when I am at work. Only a part time job 3 days a week. There is a vending machine. There is a number of people that are all overweight and constantly bringing in sweets. Daily. Our coffee breaks are at McDonalds, Burger King any junk food place they can find. Always I am with very overweight people that neither eat properly or exercise. I can't blame them for my eating the sweets, but I can see how this environment is not good for me. I have been at this part time job 3 years, and this past 6 months I find myself faltering and eating to many sweets on the 3 days a week I work. I do not slip on my off days and am at the gym and eating my normal diet on these days. I was completely able to avoid eating all this junk my first 2 1/2 years at this job. The nature of this job means I am with these people whille on the job and at breaks. We are on the road in separate vehicles and in a van together.

I would give up this job but there is really nothing else and I have looked. In fact I have looked to the point it is a waste of time. As an older worker I am lucky to have this little job. Does anyone have any suggestions? How can I get myself back to being able to be with these people, and watch them continually eat without joining in. All of these people are all over 50 years old including me, it is very sad to see these people not take care of themself. It is even sadder to see myself joining in, and again very out of character for me. I have to add these people seem like they have little interest in life, and a number use this job as a social outlet for gossip rather than income. When I have said I have to watch my sugar intake, several just give me that wandering sarcastic eye look. It is rather uncomfortable being around some of this group in many ways. They know I am a diabetic.

Any recommendations if in fact there can be any, other than not work at this type of environment. Sorry for writing such a long post. Thanks.
.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 12-16-2009 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: spelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
4,764 posts, read 8,573,977 times
Reputation: 8304
No suggestions, but you're absolutely right, it's very difficult to be around people with unhealthy habits and maintain your healthy habits. It's human nature to want to blend in and be part of the social scene--even if that scene is unhealthy and sabotages your best interests.

I'd continue to look for alternate employment in a healthy environment--maybe at a health food store--or with a dietitian or nutritionist or holistic doctor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,238 posts, read 10,790,216 times
Reputation: 6780
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
No suggestions, but you're absolutely right, it's very difficult to be around people with unhealthy habits and maintain your healthy habits. It's human nature to want to blend in and be part of the social scene--even if that scene is unhealthy and sabotages your best interests.

I'd continue to look for alternate employment in a healthy environment--maybe at a health food store--or with a dietitian or nutritionist or holistic doctor?

Good advice. I actually have looked at the Health Food Stores in and around Portland for the past several years. Nothing for me or so I was told. What was even more strange the type of employees in many Health Food Stores here are like the people I work with only younger. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top