U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2008, 01:49 PM

75 posts, read 8,769 times
Default Is Eating a lot of Sugar a sign of diabetes?

Is it true eating a lot of sugar is a sign of diabetes? I have the biggest sweet tooth and never seem to get fed up with sweet things, and my mom jokingly asks me if I could possibly be diabetec? I'm not overweight, but I know I would weigh a lot less if I didn't eat as much sugar as I do. My grandma was diabetec, and my dad was too but he never developed it because he lead a very healthy lifestyle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 02:19 PM

2,839 posts, read 6,458,548 times
You may have a yeast overgrowth, which can cause intense carbohydrate/sugar cravings.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:50 PM

429 posts, read 1,711,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
You may have a yeast overgrowth, which can cause intense carbohydrate/sugar cravings.
Interesting, I didn't know that.

As to the OP, sugar consumption is not a sign of diabetes, more like a cause. Especially if it is in the genetics. Fatigue and thirst are two common signs of it, though.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:52 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,174,349 times
Yeast overgrowth has NOTHING to do with carbohydrate craving.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:03 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,445,796 times
A sign of Diabetes is thirst and the need to pass water frequently. Eating sugar isn't a sign of diabetes - it causes it though in those who have a genetic suspectability. Your body has to work extra hard, producing Insulin to break down the sugar. Stay clear of too much sugar, give you body a chance.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:57 PM

12,998 posts, read 23,818,152 times
Agree with Jennaflorrie about drinking lots and lots of water and yet never quenching your thirst and also waking up to urinate alot at Night.

Who knows why you crave sugar as it could be low serotonin levels (Feel Good Neurotransmitter) or possibly Hypoglycemia levels (low Blood Sugar). Maybe just boredom.....

Old 06-16-2008, 04:21 PM

75 posts, read 8,769 times
I know part of the reason I crave sugar is because my mom also has a sweet tooth and I've read this is hereditary. But mine is twice the intensity, I crave sugar all the time and I don't ever get that sick feeling when you eat too much sweet. It feels like an addiction, I can't go half the day without having something sweet. When I have coffee, which is not often, I have to put at least 7 tablespoons of sugar in my cup so I could like it. It's the same with lemonade and other things that require sugar. It's not boredom because I could very well grab other kinds of foods, like salty ones, when I'm bored, but I only crave sugar. I know it's not healthy, but at least I exercise often so it's not as bad I guess. Still, I wish there was some kind of suppressant that would supress my sugar addiction.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:10 PM

2,839 posts, read 6,458,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Yeast overgrowth has NOTHING to do with carbohydrate craving.

Um, actually, sugar craving is a strong sign of candidiasis, aka yeast overgrowth. The yeast feeds on the sugar, and you crave more and more to feed the yeast.

Anyone who feels abnormally lethargic, craves carbs, has taken antibiotics, has digestive difficulties, has yeast infections/thrush/athlete's foot, etc, should consider a possible yeast overgrowth.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:41 PM

2,481 posts, read 8,653,199 times
Actually, sugar triggers the same receptors in your brain as opiates, so it is addictive. That is likely why you have a "sweet tooth."

Sugar Addiction 101 (http://ezinearticles.com/?Sugar-Addiction-101&id=859565 - broken link)

If you had diabetes and ate a LOT of sugar, you would likely have really negative health effects, so this really isn't a sign of diabetes. On the other hand, eating this much sugar can CAUSE diabetes, so you really need to be careful, especially if it runs in your family

Old 06-16-2008, 06:11 PM

2,549 posts, read 6,151,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Um, actually, sugar craving is a strong sign of candidiasis, aka yeast overgrowth. The yeast feeds on the sugar, and you crave more and more to feed the yeast.

Anyone who feels abnormally lethargic, craves carbs, has taken antibiotics, has digestive difficulties, has yeast infections/thrush/athlete's foot, etc, should consider a possible yeast overgrowth.

Um, no sugar craving is not a sign of candidiasis....it is an unproven fringe theory with no basis in science. There is no such condition as "yeast overgrowth"

Dubious "Yeast Allergies"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes