Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:03 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I'm very frustrated.....I was daignosed a diabetic in November, mornig sugars about 140 and the rest are all about 90...so nothing severe. I also have HBP...I take 500 mg glucophage 2 times a day and Altace for HBP. BP is good except pulse rate is over usually about 105....

So...I'm sick of meds and not seeing much difference on meds so I decide to loose some weight. I'm eating vegetables and lean meats for lunch and dinner and walking 3 miles a day every day for a week now and my sugar is higher than ever!! 140 before dinner, after having a salad for lunch....

What am I doing wrong??????
Please help me!
I am sorry your concerns got sidetracked with that book discussion. Perhaps you might consider bringing up your concerns in a different forum, one that specializes in diabetes and has many differing viewpoints, but little of this miracle cure stuff is tolerated. There is no such thing.

This site is run by the ADA, and there are discussions covering medication vs. exercise, and what is and is not a good BG reading. There is a lot of information that I don't know about you, so I can only make a guess as to what is going on. I am as likely to be wrong as right.

Generally speaking, as a Type II diabetic your body still makes insulin, and most likely you have become insulin resistant, and the liver still stores glycogen for times when you sugar gets low. It could be that your diet is so restrictive that when you exercise your BG drops and you get a glycogen (sugar) release from your liver which would bring it back up, and then you get the higher reading before dinner rather than after.

Still, that is a guess, and I do suggest you look at this Type II forum:

http://community.diabetes.org/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&webtag=adatype2 (http://community.diabetes.org/n/pfx/forum.aspx?
nav=messages&webtag=adatype2 - broken link)

If you continue to be concerned, you might consult with an endo - or ask for some formal diabetes education sessions with a CDE both of which are usually covered by insurance or Medicare.

Good luck.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:21 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,168 times
I love PA!

What type of cereal and salad dressing did you eat? What were the sugars and carbs?

I don't have diabetes, but I have friends that do.

You may want to try including more lean protein and fat in your breakfast, such as a chicken sausage or an egg white omelet. I have also heard for years that oatmeal can help with blood sugar levels. I read an article on it about 20 years ago and forwarded it to a friend whose son had diabetes. It helped immensely getting his blood sugar under control.

» Oatmeal Gives Diabetes the Slip (http://healthcrunchies.com/index.php/2008/oatmeal-gives-diabetes-the-slip/ - broken link)

I have two friends with diabetes. Both eat only whole grain carbs sparingly, but they do eat carbs, only the best ones. But some may not be able to tolerate any. They also swear by a solid exercise routine. They don't go overboard, but they are consistent. And both have gone through periods of weight loss that significantly reduced their amount of insulin required. When they go off their good routine, they have problems. So finding what works for you and sticking to it is recommended.

I found this site interesting, written by someone with Type 2 diabetes. I'm sure not everyone will agree, but I enjoy different points of view and think this is a good read for everyone, even those who do not have diabetes. I believe it is also available in book form. The site has all kinds of ideas which may be of help to you. Read the "Read this first" section, then "About the author", and go from there:

Blood Sugar 101

Good luck to you.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:29 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
I recommend this book: "How to Prevent and Reverse Diabetes." By Dr. Barnard. It mainly reverses Type 2 diabetes, since that is controlled through diet.
You have to give up the foods causing the problem. And you have to exercise.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:43 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I'm very frustrated.....I was daignosed a diabetic in November, mornig sugars about 140 and the rest are all about 90...so nothing severe. I also have HBP...I take 500 mg glucophage 2 times a day and Altace for HBP. BP is good except pulse rate is over usually about 105....

So...I'm sick of meds and not seeing much difference on meds so I decide to loose some weight. I'm eating vegetables and lean meats for lunch and dinner and walking 3 miles a day every day for a week now and my sugar is higher than ever!! 140 before dinner, after having a salad for lunch....

What am I doing wrong??????
Please help me!
I was in the same boat as you back in 2002! I was 5' 4" tall 205lbs OBESE size XL shirt 36 pants or size 16 skirt suit! Was borderline high blood pressure and borderline type 2 diabetic! I lost all the weight to 139 lbs by road biking 5030 miles in 2 years; all the while I ate ANYTHING and I did pay attention to carbs & etc! I still ate Ben & Jerry's and high calorie pecan pie, but in moderation!

From 2005 to 2008 I maintained my weight through biking, and using biking for transportation so I can get a workout and eat a candy bar!

I'm gonna publish an online book of "Losing Weight by Biking + a Little Weightlifting" - would you buy it?

Old 05-23-2009, 07:51 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
My suggestion would be to transition to a mostly plant-based diet. Fats, carbs, and animal products such as meat and diary are not your friends.

For help on this, read Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book, Eat to Live, the book by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn , anything by Dr. Dean Ornish, and The China Study will give you the background...

Eating this way, in study after study, helps prevent heart attacks & Strokes, reduce diabetics need for insulin and helps us from getting cancer...

It's a major transition, but well wotth if you want major health improvements and wellness...

Old 05-30-2009, 10:42 PM

830 posts, read 1,064,204 times
Dr. Young says Type 1 diabetes is reversible.

YouTube - Dr. Young and the pH Miracle for Diabetes

Old 05-31-2009, 09:03 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
Dr. Young says Type 1 diabetes is reversible.

YouTube - Dr. Young and the pH Miracle for Diabetes
LOL, looks like you just brought on the wrath to yourself of the poster's Cjma and Bluedevilz with this post as i love to sit back and watch them all fight with each other

Old 05-31-2009, 11:11 AM

830 posts, read 1,064,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
LOL, looks like you just brought on the wrath to yourself of the poster's Cjma and Bluedevilz with this post as i love to sit back and watch them all fight with each other
I am not looking to fight with anyone. I just say a closed mind is a sick mind.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:35 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
I am not looking to fight with anyone. I just say a closed mind is a sick mind.
Well that's why when i post about nutrition possibly healing or helping a disease i always publish a link to an actual clinical research story and not just from any joe schmoe's web site or web cast.

Like this story showing compounds in Fish Oil may help those with Alzheimer's disease as an example.

Anti-Alzheimer's Mechanism In Omega-3 Fatty Acids Found - Science Daily

Old 05-31-2009, 11:50 AM

479 posts, read 1,455,738 times
I LOVE PA... are you still around?!

My husband has Type II diabetes and has been diagnosed for about 10 years. And for those who think you have to be overweight to be diabetic, that's not necessarily true. My husband is of average weight/height.

First, get a referral (if necessary) to an Endocrinologist. My husband was initially treated by our PCP for his Diabetes and it was horribly controlled...eventually found out he was taking one medicine that was actually cancelling out another medicine. Then they were about to put him on insulin and I rebelled (being southern, maybe that was normal!).

I made him an appt. with an endocrinologist who immediately made changes in his meds. It took a couple of adjustments but he has it very well controlled now and has for the past 5 years. And still no insulin.

Eat moderately...and more veggies and fruits. His blood sugar goes up with any "white" food -- potatoes, pasta, bread, sugar, rice. And no matter how hard he works during the day, if he doesn't take that walk, his B/S will show a 10-20 point rise the following morning.

AFter seeing the endocrinologist, it may help to see a dietician who can work with you on meal planning. Also the ADA site has some good information, even recipes.

American Diabetes Association Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes