Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:09 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times

Advertisements

I found out that I was diabetic while getting a Physical last year. If I wouldn't have got the Physical, I don't know when (or if) I would have found out!
My curiousity is this: Just how many people out there are diabetic and don't know it? How many people out there know they are diabetic, but don't care!? In general, are heavy/obese people diabetic? I see a number of these people eating at buffets and at Denny's often AND eating lots of "sugary" stuff!

I remember having a neighbor who found out his blood glucose number was near 500 (his wife told me/wife that). Don't know if he was trying to control it, but his wife did tell us that she stopped making Thanksgiving and Christmas sweets, but he would buy cookies/other sweets and sit out in their vehicle and eat them. He did pass away last year, but don't know the total cause. He had also smoked cigarettes for years, but had stopped.

I know there are people out there that just simply refuse to change their eating/lifestyle habits no matter what their health is like......and this gets to be VERY true when people get 55 yrs old and up.

As for me, I take my medication and do my glucose checks (meter) and definitely watch what I eat/drink now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 07:35 PM

479 posts, read 1,455,952 times
If a diabetic knows and doesn't care, they're just filling out their own death certificate...or worse, disabilities and many medical problems.

I suppose there are plenty who don't know they're diabetic and blame all their symptoms on getting old or some such thing.

But diabetes does such bad things to the body, affects so many organs...if they don't try to help themselves, they're just going to be in a bad situation.

The sad part is that many of the extremely obese folks who are prone to having diabetes don't have the financial means and/or insurances to cover all their medical care. And they eat all the wrong stuff because it's less expensive.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:14 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,494,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I found out that I was diabetic while getting a Physical last year. If I wouldn't have got the Physical, I don't know when (or if) I would have found out!
I am sad that you have diabetes, but I am happy that now you know and you can treat it and hopefully get out of diabetes.

Quote:
My curiousity is this: Just how many people out there are diabetic and don't know it?
A lot of people.

Quote:
How many people out there know they are diabetic, but don't care!?
A lot of people, hospital are full of Pt with diabetes that don't care and eat anything, even in the hospital relatives bring them outside food(against regulation) to the Pt. and then get mad with us if we find them and take the food away from them.

Quote:
In general, are heavy/obese people diabetic?
Yes, and no, diabetes is a multifactorial disease.
Diabetes type 2 is strongly connected to genes, while type 1 is not.
But if you have the genes for it doesn't mean you going to have it (even if you are fat). And not having the gene doesn't mean you will never get it.
That is why it is called multifactorial, if you have the genes and are overweight the risk are higher, but not all diabetics are obese.

Quote:
I see a number of these people eating at buffets and at Denny's often AND eating lots of "sugary" stuff!
Well how do you know they are diabetics?? just because they are overweight that doesn't mean they are diabetics.

Quote:
I remember having a neighbor who found out his blood glucose number was near 500 (his wife told me/wife that). Don't know if he was trying to control it, but his wife did tell us that she stopped making Thanksgiving and Christmas sweets, but he would buy cookies/other sweets and sit out in their vehicle and eat them. He did pass away last year, but don't know the total cause. He had also smoked cigarettes for years, but had stopped.
Well what can you do...

Quote:
I know there are people out there that just simply refuse to change their eating/lifestyle habits no matter what their health is like......and this gets to be VERY true when people get 55 yrs old and up.
Yes, sometimes the older the Pt. the more "set in their ways".

Quote:
As for me, I take my medication and do my glucose checks (meter) and definitely watch what I eat/drink now.
That is great news.
Keep it up...

Old 07-03-2009, 05:27 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
I was one of the many that had no clue. It wasn't until the Emergency Room Doctor asked me how long had I had Diabetes, that I found out. I was close to dead, and needed surgery to remove a large area of Gangrene that was all around my fermoral artery. My body had basically come very close to shutting down. During the hospital stay they also found that I had Lung Cancer and significant Heart Disease. The decades of living on fast food and convenience had finally taken its toll. Of all the diseases I found myself dealing with, the Diabetes scared me the most. Probably because of the pain associated with the aftermath of the surgery. Changing my lifestyle was no longer just a nice thought, it became a necessity. It would be a good thing if people would take care of what they do to their own body, we may not have the Healthcare issues the country is now facing. In the 5 years since I have found how powerful the body is when given a chance to help itself. I no longer have to take Insulin or meds to keep the Diabetes under control, so I know it can be done. So keep it up, and more power to you. Also tell as many people as you can about what you learn, hopefully some of them may listen.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:11 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
My blood glucose number was 302, when I first found out. I have definitely went down since then. Taking 2x daily (AM-PM) Metformin, I get readings of 123 and at times a little lower. I was running out of the Metformin so I was only taking 1x daily (AM) and my meter number was 145 and 150....still a heck of a lot better than 302! Since I got a membership with the company that makes my meter, I only pay half ($50) of the total cost of 100 test strips. I knew these test strips were expensive b/c I use to buy them when I worked in Purchasing for a Senior Healthcare Company. When I seen the doctor a week ago, he told me that I should be getting blood work done/seeing a doctor every 3 months.......WELL, blood work and a doctor fee's aren't cheap, even with a co-pay from insurance!

Old 07-03-2009, 02:47 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
blood work and a doctor fee's aren't cheap
A1c test kit is around $9 at Walmart.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:14 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Well I'm 53 and obese and worry but haven't been able to change my habits. Well not enough anyway. In 2000 I quit smoking which was about 40 lbs. Older age, menopause etc. have continued to increase it. I quit drinking diet soft drinks and read labels for hidden sugar. Sometimes they all have sugar but I try to find one brand that doesn't and go with that (say in canned tomatoe sauce etc.) I don't eat much candy etc. but do still eat ice cream. I need to do better but....there are so few enjoyable things in my life and cutting these out will be the last few and I can't quite go there.
I went to the Dr. for an annual and the only blood test he did was sugar (not fasting) and thyroid.
Is the fasting one important?

Old 07-04-2009, 11:13 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I quit drinking diet soft drinks
Diet A&W Root Beer has zero caffeine, calories, and carbs. Diluting it 50% with water cuts the sodium and Aspartame in half.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:16 PM

479 posts, read 1,455,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Well I'm 53 and obese and worry but haven't been able to change my habits. Well not enough anyway. In 2000 I quit smoking which was about 40 lbs. Older age, menopause etc. have continued to increase it. I quit drinking diet soft drinks and read labels for hidden sugar. Sometimes they all have sugar but I try to find one brand that doesn't and go with that (say in canned tomatoe sauce etc.) I don't eat much candy etc. but do still eat ice cream. I need to do better but....there are so few enjoyable things in my life and cutting these out will be the last few and I can't quite go there.
I went to the Dr. for an annual and the only blood test he did was sugar (not fasting) and thyroid.
Is the fasting one important?

If you want to know your true blood sugar, yes, fasting is important. Or get the A1c test. I don't know why your dr. ordered a nonfasting blood sugar in the first place unless it was the A1c.

Have you tried the sugar free, 1/2 fat ice creams? They're actually pretty good (Edy's). And Breyers has a fat free ice cream that is just as silky as regular ice cream (Breyers Free Double Churned). Just watch your portions.

And try to get out and walk! It will make you feel better and give you some exercise.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:50 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post

Yes, and no, diabetes is a multifactorial disease.
Diabetes type 2 is strongly connected to genes, while type 1 is not.
But if you have the genes for it doesn't mean you going to have it (even if you are fat).
Interesting--I always thought that Type 1 was more genetically linked because children frequently get that type. I found this article informative-- http://www.diabetes.org/genetics.jsp

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 07-04-2009 at 05:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes