Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many of you take Insulin shots a day?
yes 14 66.67%
no 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 12:16 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,853,459 times

Advertisements

I don't take insulin, but I take Victoza which also has to be injected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 01:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
My usual routine is a 60 shot of longterm Levimir in the morning and again in the evening, then a 50 shot of short term insulin (Novorapid) 3 times a day, and with all that insulin my blood sugar readings are still double normal values.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:38 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My usual routine is a 60 shot of longterm Levimir in the morning and again in the evening, then a 50 shot of short term insulin (Novorapid) 3 times a day, and with all that insulin my blood sugar readings are still double normal values.

Think about dividing the dosages, as I referred to in an earlier post.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:17 AM

51 posts, read 127,844 times
No one is using an insulin pump? I've been pumping for 31 years, and would NEVER go back to injections. I took a break from pumping for less than a year, but went back on the pump when I had a vehicle accident due to a hypo.

Is this forum mostly for Type 2's?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl Kathy View Post
No one is using an insulin pump? I've been pumping for 31 years, and would NEVER go back to injections. I took a break from pumping for less than a year, but went back on the pump when I had a vehicle accident due to a hypo.

Is this forum mostly for Type 2's?
Not a bit. Plenty of Type I's here (me included).

I am still shaky on how the pump works. Brief synopsis?

Old 05-20-2014, 10:15 AM

An insulin pump works a bit like a pancreas in that it releases small amounts of insulin all day long. This basal dose of insulin helps keep your blood glucose steady between meals and while you sleep. You can adjust the basal rate according to the kinds of activities you plan to do that day. For example, if you’re playing sport, you can reduce your basal rate to help avoid your blood glucose going too low.

Then, at mealtimes, you tell the pump to release an extra bolus dose of insulin to match the amount of carbohydrate in your food. Simple!

Unlike needles, pumps use fast-acting insulin. This allows you to adjust your treatment on the go, according to the foods and activitiesyou choose – not the other way around.
I hope this provides sufficient info, at least for a start. There are pros and cons to this type of therapy; personally, having my control in the "non-diabetic" range makes me happy without too many hypos (a1c of 5.7 last month), I have much more freedom in my meal choices and, alternatively, what TIME I eat - I am not bound by the clock, since my basal rate is set to work with my body's natural rhythms and schedule, and I bolus only when it's time to eat. The pump doesn't interfere with my life much, the worst thing is always being "tethered". The Medtronic insulin pump communicates with the continuous glucose monitor (cgm), and helps me to visualize and make better treatment choices.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I've been T1 for 46 years, and pumping for 31, and I wouldn't change a thing!

Old 05-21-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl Kathy View Post
An insulin pump works a bit like a pancreas in that it releases small amounts of insulin all day long. This basal dose of insulin helps keep your blood glucose steady between meals and while you sleep. You can adjust the basal rate according to the kinds of activities you plan to do that day. For example, if you’re playing sport, you can reduce your basal rate to help avoid your blood glucose going too low.

Then, at mealtimes, you tell the pump to release an extra bolus dose of insulin to match the amount of carbohydrate in your food. Simple!

Unlike needles, pumps use fast-acting insulin. This allows you to adjust your treatment on the go, according to the foods and activitiesyou choose – not the other way around.
I hope this provides sufficient info, at least for a start. There are pros and cons to this type of therapy; personally, having my control in the "non-diabetic" range makes me happy without too many hypos (a1c of 5.7 last month), I have much more freedom in my meal choices and, alternatively, what TIME I eat - I am not bound by the clock, since my basal rate is set to work with my body's natural rhythms and schedule, and I bolus only when it's time to eat. The pump doesn't interfere with my life much, the worst thing is always being "tethered". The Medtronic insulin pump communicates with the continuous glucose monitor (cgm), and helps me to visualize and make better treatment choices.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I've been T1 for 46 years, and pumping for 31, and I wouldn't change a thing!
Thanks for the response.

I went on youtube and watched an example of a guy using the pump. However, it was unclear: does the pump hold two different insulins? (basal, bolus).

He also mentioned (as did you) that he is hooked up to the pump all day, save when showering: when one removes the pump, does one have to 'bleed' the tube again when reconnecting to the pump (i.e., to get air out).

He also mentioned the cost quite a few times. Did insurance help pay for the pump and supplies?

Thanks

Old 05-21-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Thanks for the response.

I went on youtube and watched an example of a guy using the pump. However, it was unclear: does the pump hold two different insulins? (basal, bolus).

He also mentioned (as did you) that he is hooked up to the pump all day, save when showering: when one removes the pump, does one have to 'bleed' the tube again when reconnecting to the pump (i.e., to get air out).

He also mentioned the cost quite a few times. Did insurance help pay for the pump and supplies?

Thanks
No, you only use short-acting insulin in an insulin pump (e.g., Humalog, Novalog, Apidra), so it only contains one cartridge. Some of the manufacturers' cartridges will hold up to 300 units; my total daily insulin use is less than 25 units, so my pump uses a 180 unit cartridge; you should change your infusion sites every 3-4 days, so you re-load the cartridge at the time of your site change. The pump is smart enough to tell you how much to bolus for meals so you don't "stack" insulin and cause a hypo, and you can bolus as you sit down to your meal instead of having to plan to take the insulin 30 minutes before dinner. I should qualify that by saying that once you and your CDE or diabetes team determine your insulin to carb ratio, correction sensitivity (e.g., 1 unit insuling for every 65 mg/dl for bG correction) - all this information you program into the pump so the pump can do the calculations for you. In the old days, we had to do all that math in our heads.

Showering is not a real issue; you can suspend the pump for the time period you are disconnected to shower, exercise, for intimacy (or you can just push it out of the way - the infusion tubing is 24-48 inches in length), reconnect and restart the pump without having to prime it.

My insurance covered my pump and my supplies; I have dual insurance, so I had no out of pocket expense (hit my annual maximum). The policy I currently have covers for my CGM supplies, too. At least until I am Medicare eligible - which won't be for a few more years. Any more questions - ask away or send me a PM! I love sharing the info.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:34 AM

253 posts, read 654,825 times
I take anywhere from 19/day to 21/day depending on my menstrual cycles. The week before my period, my numbers shoots way up, so I increase it then.

I split my Lantus doses into morning and dinnertime, roughly 12 hours between shots. So usually 10 in the morning and 9 in the evening.

I control much of my numbers via a very low carb diet (no more than 30g carbs a day), and WAS on glipizide for about 3 years when I finally changed my doc and was allowed to use insulin. Not a fan of choking my pancreas. I hate needles, and it still makes my stomach quiver when I have to inject, but I have lots more control over how much I need. Less likely to go hypo this way.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:41 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,537,062 times
I've been taking Novalin 70/30 since November 2011. I started with 25 units twice a day, but have been at 18 2x a day for a long while.

I saw my doc in March and he is thrilled with my progress. My A1c was at a 6.7 (now I am reading new guidelines that say A1c should be below 6) and I don't need to take glucose readings unless I feel I need to.

I eat what I want, but I watch what I eat.

I walk everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes