Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:49 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,181 times

Advertisements

My best friend has been recently diagnosed after several months of being sick. She is taking a oral medication, but her blood sugar is staying really high. She has been very good about her diet, but has lost about 40lbs in the last 3 months because she has no appetite and is afraid to eat. Her blood sugar goes from 26 to 513 in a day and is really scared.

I am hoping to hear from diabetics with some suggestions for her. She has had problems with blurry vision, and pain in her calves. We have been researching information for her on the ADA website but if we cannot get her to eat regularly I am afraid she is not going to make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 09:41 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
If her glucose goes that high, she is not sticking to her diet. I got a 400 once, after eating a bowl of cherries from my tree all in one sitting. You can't make her do anything - she needs to realize the seriousness of DM-II. She can lose her vision, her leg, or her life. Strokes and heart attacks are possible w/uncontrolled diabetes.

I was on oral meds for several years but finally had to go to insulin.

I repeat, something is fishy in her story about sticking to her diet.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:01 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
recently diagnosed . . . blood sugar goes from 26 to 513 in a day
These links may be helpful in progressing through the "learning curve":
Diet Guidelines
Blood Sugar 101

Old 10-17-2009, 10:32 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
after enough times in the hospital and being stuck with IV's and god knows what else....that's when she will start learning she needs to take care of herself. It's all trial and error unfortunately for MANY diabetics.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:29 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,161 times
I'm a type 2 and I also take Metformin. Has your friend been to a diabetes education class? If not, she really needs to ask her doctor about one. Insurance will usually pay for it.

When I was first diagnosed, I lost a lot of weight very quickly because I was afraid to eat anything and because the Metformin caused stomach upset for a while. The most important thing I've learned is that you can eat most anything in moderation. By checking her sugar often at first, your friend will learn what foods make her sugar spike and she will know not to eat them very often. I know that pasta or white bread makes mine spike more than a small slice of cake so I try to avoid those foods as much as possible. Her sugar is probably going low because she doesn't eat but she really should talk to her doctor about those high numbers. He may need to adjust her medication.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:29 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,181 times
Default nothing fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If her glucose goes that high, she is not sticking to her diet. I got a 400 once, after eating a bowl of cherries from my tree all in one sitting. You can't make her do anything - she needs to realize the seriousness of DM-II. She can lose her vision, her leg, or her life. Strokes and heart attacks are possible w/uncontrolled diabetes.

I was on oral meds for several years but finally had to go to insulin.

I repeat, something is fishy in her story about sticking to her diet.
Like I said she has trouble eating anything. On this particular day I was with her and she had celery, a glass of milk and a couple of glasses of water. I know how dangerous it is, but how do you help someone eat when they don't want anything? That is what I am hoping to find out. She exercises regularly (lap swimming) and will have some bread and PB before she goes. But even though you would think this would make her want to eat she says the thought of eating makes her feel sick. She forces herself to eat something like raw vegetables and sometimes even meat, but says she always feels sick afterwords.

I do know that several years ago she was diagnosed with Hep c. Her doctor told her that lack of appetite is very common in recently diagnosed diabetics. Her liver function tests are within normal limits.

What I am asking is what if anything you may suggest about increasing her appetite. How can she stick to her diet when eating makes her feel sick? I understand where she is coming from and am trying to help. I have no intention of forcing anything.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:07 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
Like I said she has trouble eating anything. On this particular day I was with her and she had celery, a glass of milk and a couple of glasses of water. I know how dangerous it is, but how do you help someone eat when they don't want anything? That is what I am hoping to find out. She exercises regularly (lap swimming) and will have some bread and PB before she goes. But even though you would think this would make her want to eat she says the thought of eating makes her feel sick. She forces herself to eat something like raw vegetables and sometimes even meat, but says she always feels sick afterwords.

I do know that several years ago she was diagnosed with Hep c. Her doctor told her that lack of appetite is very common in recently diagnosed diabetics. Her liver function tests are within normal limits.

What I am asking is what if anything you may suggest about increasing her appetite. How can she stick to her diet when eating makes her feel sick? I understand where she is coming from and am trying to help. I have no intention of forcing anything.
She should really see a doctor about this. Tell her to take her meter with her.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:03 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,161 times
That sounds like the Metformin making her not want to eat. Is her prescription for Metformin ER or just regular Metformin? My doctor changed me to the Metformin ER because he said it seems to cause less stomach upsets (I thinks it's time released). If that's the kind of meals she's eating, then her liver is probably dumping sugar to compensate for her not eating. She definitely needs to see her doctor.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:01 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
My dad got sick on that stuff at first too. You need to to tell her just to sit down and eat. Thats just the way it is for awhile until she adjusts to it. I bet she does not eat and then she goes and eats way too much and boom..blood sugar. My dad also did that.

I think planning out meals helps a lot. And he liked those glucerna bars and cereal:
Glucerna
"Glucerna® products give you options! Including Shakes, Bars, and Cereal in your meal plan is a smart way to help get the right kinds of carbs every day. The slowly digested carbohydrates in Glucerna products are designed to help manage blood sugar."

I even like the bars and cereal. They taste like good stuff not "health food"

The leg pain may be relieved by keeping her blood sugar more level. <----motivation to eat right

Old 11-16-2009, 06:55 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Somehow someone needs to convince this lady that T2D plays for keeps. She either get on board with T2D management or ...well.....you know.

I've found that education is very lacking from most doctors so it's up to the patient to become informed. Education is the best place to start or tell her you need to measure her for her coffin to slap her awake!

Just do whatever it takes to get her informed and awake. Like it or not this really is a time for some hardcore tough love!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes