Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:33 PM

140 posts, read 834,910 times

Advertisements

I just had a physical (no blood work) and everything was fine, but I'm starting to worry that I could have diabetes since it runs in my family (Type 2, all grandparents have it, lost a grandmother to it, and my father is borderline, but they are all 50+ pounds over weight).

I'm in my mid 20s and about 10 pounds over weight but working on it. I think I eat pretty healthy and exercise, but now religiously.

The symptoms I have is sweet smelling urine (normally after I eat something sweet like ice cream), my feet go numb if sitting criss cross for example and are always cold, when the weather is cost my always turn white or go numb/tingle, and I do have very dry skin (been seeing an allergist for allergies and I have eczema). I'm also always tired with the allergist thinks its because of my allergies and I just started getting weekly injects that should start helping in a few months.

But what do you all think? Is this cause to run screaming to the doctor? I had blood work done about 2 years ago and everything was normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 08:19 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,561,298 times
First of all, the genetics of diabetes are complicated. For a good explanation of the chances that diabetes will be passed from generation to generation, see this link:
Genetics of Diabetes - American Diabetes Association

Without a doubt, diet is the most important variable in diabetes, and-- unlike genetics-- one which can actually be controlled. If your diet is heavy on carbs and sugars, and you are experiencing some symptoms of diabetes, your body may be giving you some early warning signs.
Exercise is a big factor too. Put simply, sendentary people are more at risk than active people.

JamesGirl, the symptoms you listed may or may not be tied to diabetes. Many conditions (thyroid disease, for example) can exhibit some similar characteristics. Although you have diabetes in your family, the fact that you are eating healthy and exercising religiously is extremely significant. With a healthy lifestyle, you may well stave off the disease for a very long time. Still, your doctor should test your blood sugar periodically to assure that you are staying on the right track.

So continue seeing your doctor, yes. Running is good, but screaming-- um, not necessary. Stress is always best avoided! Don't obsess over this; manage it.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:31 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGirl View Post
I

But what do you all think? Is this cause to run screaming to the doctor? I had blood work done about 2 years ago and everything was normal.
That was 2 yrs ago not today. Get a full blood workup done then you will know if you should be concerned.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:19 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
The nice thing about Type II Diabetes is that it can be managed. We have Type II Diabetes in our family as well. My father was not religious regarding maintaining a strict diet but he was religious about exercising at least 4 days a week. He is 66 and only started metformin 2 years ago and his blood sugar is well controlled on this medication. He is thin and still works full time and works out at the gym. He is doing well. I spoke to an endocrinologist about this and he said that most diabetics are capable of being medication free well into their elderly years if they maintain strict diet and exercise.

It's still debateable whether diet or exercise is more important. They are both important but from my experience, I would rather have a person be active and work out for an hour 4-5 times per week and be less strict with their diet because exercise causes the tissues to be less insulin resistant and take up glucose.

I'm kind of blunt with my patients who have strong family history of diabetes and insulin resistance. I tell them very simply: "It's time to start adopting an athletic and active lifestyle" because it's true. Diabetics need to be active and it will improve your quality of life particularly as you get older. I joke with them and tell them "You may not have been a jock in your former life but you're going to be one now"

Old 02-25-2010, 01:45 AM

140 posts, read 834,910 times
Good news is my blood test came back, and everything is great!

Old 02-25-2010, 03:25 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,934 times
Quote:
Now, excercise and eat right to minimise your risk of developing.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:02 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickAussie View Post
Now, excercise and eat right to minimise your risk of developing.
Yes, I agree. Just because you got a clean bill of health now is NOT the time to rest on your laurels .

Now is the time to dig in and fight to make damn sure that diabetes and cardio vascular problems don't land on your door step!

Old 02-26-2010, 01:59 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
My Dad died owing to his diabetes. I think I don't have it.

But I get told by doctors and other patients that the disease skips a generation. I know this isn't always the case.

Like they imply that it's very likely my children can have it Any ideas?

Old 02-27-2010, 12:22 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,934 times
Anyone can get type 2 diabetes. Risk factors are being overweight, bad diet, lack of exercise. Genetics are also a risk factor and if you don't exercise, are overweight and eat a bad diet it probably won't 'skip' your generation.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:40 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
Anyone can get type 2 diabetes. Risk factors are being overweight, bad diet, lack of exercise. Genetics are also a risk factor and if you don't exercise, are overweight and eat a bad diet it probably won't 'skip' your generation.
I am type 2. My doctor is type 2. She stands a full 5'7" tall and weighs in at a restounding 119 pounds.

It's not the person, it's the diet we have today. Carbs are killers. We should have 200 a day. So go to Mickey D's and eat. It's 50+ carbs. You want to eat healthy? Try a garden fresh sand at Arby's. 75 carbs.

Sorry, I have a different medical problem that caused diabetes. So I have other issues. I lost 60% of my intestines in a fight with Gangreen. It also damaged my pancreas. hahahaha Doc said, why weren't you in here earlier? The next doc asked me, and I kid you not. "Why the hell aren't you dead?"

So, I've survied, I've fought back. Twice, I'm a cancer survivor. We do what we gotta do and then give our kids a bad time. haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes