Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 04:49 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times

Advertisements

In the last 9 monthes I've learned some valuble info on this diabetes; number one is find a good diabetes doctor even if you have to pay for it yourself, number two is to educate yourself, read about it, read about your meds, how they work and such, understanding diabetes and how to care for yourself is your best tool.
I picked up a book called the diabetes survival guide, just a paperback at the diabetes section in Walmart, before this i was going by what my regular doctor and my wife was telling me, plus a few diabetics, well i'll tell you this, none of them knew squat, i took two days and read the book because my blood was all over the place, i was eating the wrong carbs (simple instead of complexe) i had no clue what my med did metphormin.
After reading the book and changing things around everything came in line, by the time i saw the diabetic doctor he just confirmed what I had read and my blood work was right on, 6.4
If your diabetic take control yourself, the diabetics giving me advise had no clue what they were talking about along with my regular doctor, the diabetic doctor sat with me and explained everything for over an hour, how to eat, exercise and how my med worked and when was the best time to take it, see a good doctor as soon as you can and read, read, read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 03:13 AM

175 posts, read 846,702 times
Thanks for the good post. Very informative.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:10 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,693,489 times
Just found out my brother is diabetic. He was complaining to me last week about being tired and very thirsty all the time and swollen feet so I told him to get checked since diabetes runs in our family and he is now in the hospital. I got a call over the weekend stating that my brother's sugar level spiked to 1399 after he was rushed from the home he is staying at because he fell down some steel steps and luckily some men were there to break his fall. After being in intensive care for 12 hours and going through different tests they found out he is a diabetic. What has me pi$$ed off is the doctor who was treating him didn't pick these signs up(at the home), that he could be a diabetic? My brother is 58 and lives out in Michigan so I'm hoping he will get the proper care,especially since he is on some other medication for depression. Our dad got diabetes when he was the same age and several other relatives have it too.........hope I won't be next. Sorry if I ranted on so long but I'm just alittle frazzled because I can't be with him now.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
Just found out my brother is diabetic. He was complaining to me last week about being tired and very thirsty all the time and swollen feet so I told him to get checked since diabetes runs in our family and he is now in the hospital. I got a call over the weekend stating that my brother's sugar level spiked to 1399 after he was rushed from the home he is staying at because he fell down some steel steps and luckily some men were there to break his fall. After being in intensive care for 12 hours and going through different tests they found out he is a diabetic. What has me pi$$ed off is the doctor who was treating him didn't pick these signs up(at the home), that he could be a diabetic? My brother is 58 and lives out in Michigan so I'm hoping he will get the proper care,especially since he is on some other medication for depression. Our dad got diabetes when he was the same age and several other relatives have it too.........hope I won't be next. Sorry if I ranted on so long but I'm just alittle frazzled because I can't be with him now.
Wow, thats terrible, i wish him the best.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:54 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
My doctor diagnosed me with type 2 after I had a blood test taken at a routine physical. After the results of the blood test came back, he immediately scheduled me for a glucose tolerance test to confirm the blood test results. Then, after confirmation, he enrolled me into a diabetes management class where those folks taught me a lot about this disease. After reading what you went through, Roaddog, you can say I lucked out on the doctor.

I hope you are managing your diabetes well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes