Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 12:01 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times

Advertisements

I just got informed that the doctors have diagnosed my mom with diabetes

Diabetes killed my Dad and he had it ever since I was born, almost 26 years when it eventually took his life.

I'm just bummed I have to put up with Diabetes again and on the second parent now.

She's been healthy all through her life and for the life of it, I still do not understand how Diabetes can hit you when you are 50? Isn't that something that comes in youth? It's also supposed to be hereditary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 01:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
It's most likely Type II, which hits in later life usually, and in overweight/sedentary people. And yes, there is a genetic component to it. So stay slim and active and you should be OK.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:57 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It's most likely Type II, which hits in later life usually, and in overweight/sedentary people. And yes, there is a genetic component to it. So stay slim and active and you should be OK.
I won't worry if I get it. My mom situation just complicates my situation at a very crucial stage of my life

Old 04-20-2010, 02:23 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,797 times
Adult Onset Diabetes Mellitis (AODM) is the onset of diabetes later in life. This is much more desirable than being diagnosed with diabetes early in life, particularly infancy and childhood.

My grandma was diagnosed in her late seventies with mild AODM. She is now 91 and still as lively as ever. She has a big sweet tooth and sneaks a Hershey bar once in awhile. She has been fortunate enough to stay away from the injections so far and continues to do very well. She eats great and always has and continues to take her daily walk of anywhere between 1-4 miles. Her blood sugar and weight are very well-controlled.

As long as your mom maintains a healthy diet with regular activity and regular check-ups, there is no reason why she cannot continue to live a healthy, happy life.

AODM does tend to be genetic, so always keep yourself in optimum shape the best you can.

Good luck.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:44 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I just got informed that the doctors have diagnosed my mom with diabetes

Diabetes killed my Dad and he had it ever since I was born, almost 26 years when it eventually took his life.

I'm just bummed I have to put up with Diabetes again and on the second parent now.

She's been healthy all through her life and for the life of it, I still do not understand how Diabetes can hit you when you are 50? Isn't that something that comes in youth? It's also supposed to be hereditary?
The American diet has a huge impact on type II diabetes in adults. A lifetime of eating wrong ,or junk, wears on the digestive system. American sit on their butts to much and eat wrong so the body takes the hit.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:55 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Being overweight correlates with diabetes but I think its just a matter of blowing out the endocrine system specifically with metabolizing carbohydrates. Our bodies are not designed to handle the carbohydrate load we give it. I think people have it backwards. Being overweight is the result not the cause.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:55 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Not so. My dad had it; he was not overweight; nor did he sit around, he was very active.

He was able to control it with food

Old 04-24-2010, 06:06 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I won't worry if I get it. My mom situation just complicates my situation at a very crucial stage of my life
Uh, sounds rather selfish if you ask me? More worried about you than your mom, you know, the one who has it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes