U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:05 PM

7,027 posts, read 10,335,869 times

Advertisements

I don't know, but this article seems to shed some light on this question. I know there are articles written on all facets of what we put in our bodies, and this is just one of thousands or more.
Bottom line with me, I'm still a firm believer of, You Are What You Eat. There's no hiding that physically, and maybe psychologically.
Is your junk food habit making you depressed? - Diet and nutrition- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:10 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,418,294 times
It could be as simple as - guess what - eating alone in the car is not as good for your outlook as eating planned meals with family/friends.........but I would think that if you at healthy and general health was better that your mood would be better

Old 06-10-2010, 08:05 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,210,498 times
Don't abuse statistics... without the whole study in front of you and further marginalization (aka, elimination of other possible effects), there is no real cause here. Just a correlation which isn't necessarily linear or parabolic. For instance, I could say that those most likely to eat junk food are also more likely to be poor (which ALSO has a correlation with depression), be less motivated in general, not care about overall health, to be an emotional eater (in which case, it would actually be depression that causes the eating of processed foods), etc.. Also, I haven't seen any hard numbers or how they made "adjustments" based on other factors. I've heard people say "___ times as likely," many times, and then all of a sudden I read the actual data and it's because one of the percentages of control groups is two times more than the other but the difference between the two is insignificant (i.e. it's 1.0% vs 2%, which isn't significant at all).

Now, I'm not advocating everyone go out and eat processed foods only and get rid of healthy foods, but I am saying news articles with statistics that aren't even reference (link to the primary source) are just there to bring in revenue.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:16 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,210,498 times
Also, did you see who wrote/published the article? Rodale. They are an organization commited to "green, organic living." Here is their belief statement:
"Environmental health IS personal health.
Everything is connected.
Organic and local is the gold standard.
Everyone has Nature´s power to heal and regenerate.
All of us share a responsibility for the future."

Processed foods don't fit that mold. Basically what I'm saying is citing this article as unbiased would be like listening to Exxon-Mobil or BP talk about how solar power is actually bad for the environment. The source is not reliable.

P.S. Again, people, you should be eating healthy foods because of vitamins, nutrients, and health.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:35 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,113,623 times
I have always herd that depressed people are likely to eat junk food;candy etc and put on weight.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:08 PM

7,109 posts, read 5,465,654 times
It may just be statistics and there could be other factors involved but it might be true. For one thing, I've decided to lower my intake of junk food and decided to eat healthier food. To tell the truth, I feel way better than I ever did. I used to eat a lot of cookies and potato chips and let me tell you, after eating those cookies, I felt sick and my stomach was bloated.

I've found that it was most likely the cookies that was giving me the nauseated feeling. I started looking in stores at the product labels looking for something I could replace the cookies with. I decided to give Raisin Bran a try. Ever since that, I felt better, more energetic. I've also noticed that my mood was lifted by just a little.

A lot of the junk food does not have vitamins, minerals and other nutrients and the lack of nutrients compounded by junk ingredients like high fructose corn syrup and transfats can cause one to feel sickly.

I'm not saying I agree with Rodale, in fact I am suspecting that "organic" products are a marketing ploy. But I am all for healthy eating.

Do not knock it until you try it.

For me, healthy eating has helped me fight depression. (I also being physically active which is also helpful. Please note that I am not saying healthy eating in and of itself cures depression) Unfortunately a lot of people are so quick to try the latest pill due to the "chemical imbalance" in the brain.

I should stop here because I could go on and on. I understand that what worked for me may not be what would work for others.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:02 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,749,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have always herd that depressed people are likely to eat junk food;candy etc and put on weight.
Circular logic. They are depressed b/c they are overweight and are overweight and eat junk b/c they are depressed.

The less processed the foods are the less your body expends to break them down. The less enzymes you take in, the less alive you feel. Eat more veg/fruit and you will certainly feel and see the difference.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:50 AM

889 posts, read 2,310,352 times
I agree with all the above. I know that when I'm stressed or depressed, I want junk food. Even at the time, I know it's wrong, but it's the only thing that will "make me feel better." That lasts for five minutes, then I feel yucky physically, I'm dealing with guilt, and started the vicious circle again. Maybe we can remember this thread the next time we want junk- try something whole grain instead of white carbs- we will feel better, instead of worse!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:09 AM

7,027 posts, read 10,335,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
I agree with all the above. I know that when I'm stressed or depressed, I want junk food. Even at the time, I know it's wrong, but it's the only thing that will "make me feel better." That lasts for five minutes, then I feel yucky physically, I'm dealing with guilt, and started the vicious circle again. Maybe we can remember this thread the next time we want junk- try something whole grain instead of white carbs- we will feel better, instead of worse!
Great Post! Even though it's been many years, I remember when I was like you and so many others. I think you have crossed the threshold because you've acknowledged the problem, while so many haven't, and won't. You've thrown the crutch away! Good Luck!

Old 06-11-2010, 12:05 PM

2,700 posts, read 5,160,255 times
I have a long history of depression...I also have a long history of eating lots of junk food. I don't think that my junk-food habit CAUSED my depression, but I DO think that my junk food habit PERPETUATED my depression.

When I "talk" -- online or otherwise -- with people who are dealing with depression, I urge them to tackle their depression first by starting with the physical rather than the psychological: cut back sugar, cut back caffeine and alcohol, cut back processed foods, increase water intake, increase activity, stick to a regular sleep schedule (which may include cutting out naps or increasing the amount of sleep), increase the consumption of whole foods, and take a vitamin.

Processed/junk foods aren't doing ANYONE any good. They're destroying us from the inside out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss