Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 839 times

Advertisements

Geez, what a wide range of responses. I'm a 58-year old female, short in stature with about 10 more pounds to lose. Being insulin resistant, pcos, with sub-clinical hypothyroid... I count carbohydrates not calories. See Is it just me for more insight, email or call if you wish. : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 08:51 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerWild View Post
Im so sorry I havent replied. I didnt think there was any more responses but I saw an email that there was "A"-"1", response. So I logged on and theres all these helpful people with questions and answers.

So let me give an update but please excuse any grammatical errors in advance its late and Ive had a lonnng day so bare with me please.

I recently to date have lost 10 lbs. Its been 3.5 months since I have been working out daily but for only about 2 of those months I have been eating totally health consciously. Now before that I didnt eat so bad and Ive been regularly exercising since Noverber 09, but its only these past 3.5 months I have diligently making a serious effort to lose the weight.

I run 7 days a week. I actually have injured myself from running without rest so the last couple weeks I have been going as often as possible until my ankle can heal. I lift light weights maybe 5 times a weeks if not 7 days. It takes me about 30 min to do all the pushups, situps, bench press at light weight, curls at light weight, aswell as pull downs and like I said something like 5 days a week. Running takes me anywhere from 30 - 45 min a day including walking 30 - 60 min daily and the longer walks where daily until my ankle became hurt and now its 3 or 4 times a week.

My diet isnt the best which is my weak point, but it is still not unhealthy. I only eat the food I do sometimes because its not abundant around here sometimes and the only thing to eat is a cop'o'noodles X()~

My diet looks on an average day something like this; breakfast- 2 whole wheat toast, lightly spread with butter sometimes honey, water, piece of fruit, 3 days a week 1 or 2 eggs, some days some yogurt.

Lunch- somdays soup (low fat), or a ham or turkey sandwich with lite mayo, mustard, whole wheat bread, or tuna with lite mayo and whole wheat bread. Depending on the day usually this sometimes chicken breast and a potato given the circumstances.

Dinner- whole wheat spaghetti, or I bbq pork chop, or steak, or chicken, with a small spoon of beans no not always pinto and I know baked are bad but sometimes I do eat them, also with a veggie and whole wheat toast lightly spread with butter.

I dont drink sodas hardly ever if not never. I do drink teas occasionally. I drink milk regularly which could be related to the thyroid deficiency. But mostly I drink water ALL day long. I believe I should keep SOME fat in my diet other wise I binge after a while and totally 'EEF' up. I also snack on fruit, whole wheat bread, small handful of mixed nuts, yogurts (low or non fat), granola bars, or cereal occasionally not daily.

The fruit I eat are apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, strawberries, tangerines, but Ive been sticking to apples and bananas recently.

After seeing the OP's diet Im realizing its not ok, but not great.
- First off, dude lose the butter, lite or otherwise and the honey. Lose the mayo too.
-The spaghetti, pork chops and steak have got to go also. The soup and ham/turkey sandwiches are not high in fat but loaded with sodium. It sounds like ur sodium intake is 2x the daily limit. Nuts have a lot of fat in them too and its hard to eat a few at a time. Best to just leave them in the store.
-Leave the cereal out b/c u probably eat more than one bowl. I would ditch the granola bars too.
-Yes u should keep some fat in ur diet, but trust me, even when trying to eat healthy, u will run into enough fat with out trying to add some.
2 or 3 eggs equals a good amount of fat. U need to convert to egg whites.
Im not seeing any grlled fish in that diet either.
U probably eat better than the average human but if u want to get closer to that magazine look, ur still eating too many bad foods. Try to keep that claorie intake under 2500. Godspeed!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 AM

7 posts, read 23,572 times
I found it frustrating when I start off with a good diet plan then eventually breaking it because I couldn't resist not eating. I don't really have time to excercise. I try to take the stairs instead of the elevator at times. But it isn't really doing anything much. I just need to lose this fat fat belly. any advice for a faster and easier way to lose all this weight?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:45 AM

7 posts, read 19,656 times
From an expert:

To be honest, you are not fat. You may be a few pounds over weight but not bad... You definitely do not want to lose it fast because you will gain twice the weight back and it is not healthy. I agree that with you losing a hundred pounds then you do not have much to complain about. Good for you btw!

You need to carefully monitor your calories per serving (it can be confusing and time consuming) and eat small servings 4-5 times per day. Start using low fat butter, skim milk, low fat mayo, etc. The taste is the same with having good meals and losing weight. Make Turkey sandwhiches using whole wheat breat and low fat mayo or mustard and your favorite toppings. Eat half and save half for later. Then make some fresh or frozen veggies or homeade soup OR baked or Rotisserie chicken. Keep the meals very small and often. Read labels on the cans and get the ones with the lowest calories but more importantly the lowest fat content.. Excersize 4-5 times per day.

If you have a lot of muscle you are not going to lose a lot of weight and so lifting weights and push ups are NOT at ALL going to help... Run or walk off the fat after your meals. That is the ONLY excersize that you need to do to lose weight... ONLY do sit ups, push ups, weight lifts, etc if you want to gain muscle... If you are wanting to drop the pounds then just walk or run and that's it. Try this and let me know how this works for you!

Old 07-27-2010, 05:49 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
You did not mention your body fat level, and it's possible that it's already low. Can you "pinch an inch"?

Muscles weigh more than fat tissue, and if you are well-developed, you may just be heavy, but not fat. Have your body fat calculated. As a young male, I believe the norm is considered 15-17%, but that may have changed since my studies.

If you ARE over-fat for your frame, then I would add more weight-bearing exercise to your regimen. Increase muscle mass is the fastest way to consume body fat, if you are already eating a healthy diet, because it raises your base metabolic rate. Increased heavy cardio work will help, too, but the raised metabolism only lasts as long as the workout. Combining both is always a good prescription.

I also did not see any mention of stretching. Yoga -- especially hot yoga, will help keep those muscles from bunching up, and the thermogenic effects will also burn the fat.

Best wishes.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:00 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Muscles weigh more than fat tissue, and if you are well-developed, you may just be heavy, but not fat. Have your body fat calculated. As a young male, I believe the norm is considered 15-17%, but that may have changed since my studies.
Actually you are incorrect. They fat and mucsle weigh the same.
Does Muscle Weigh More Than Fat? - MSN Health & Fitness - Fitness (http://health.msn.com/fitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100212101 - broken link)
Does Muscle Weigh More Than Fat?

Old 07-27-2010, 11:21 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,973 times
Just to chime in briefly. I keep seeing the term "thyroid disorder" being used here. A thyroid problem isn't something that will cause just weight gain. Having a thyroid disorder is a serious, whole body condition. Someone who is hypothyroid enough to gain weight from it is going to have a range of other symptoms like fatigue (and I don't mean being tired, I mean sleeping 14-16 hours a day), memory loss, brain fog, difficulty concentrating, hair loss, dry and cracked skin, to name a few.

Look honestly at your calorie consumption. I know whenever I start gaining weight (and I do), if I start watching what I eat again, the weight melts off. My biggest problem is that I eat when I don't realize I'm eating...picking a crust here and there, grabbing a few pretzels. If I really look at it, I could probably graze 600-1000 extra calories a day in little bits and pieces. One tip that has always helped me is to make myself sit down whenever I'm eating. The act sitting down and acknowledging that there is food in my hand will often be enough to make me realize that I don't really want the food. I've pitched many half cookies down the garbage disposal. Only eat when you eat. Don't read. Don't watch tv. Just eat and pay attention to eating. That alone will make a big difference.

BTW, you've lost 100 pounds and kept it off! That's pretty amazing.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:07 AM

3 posts, read 3,423 times
you've been doing a great job at having a healthier lifestyle. it takes time before the results start showing up. be patient and keep it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss