Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 07:16 PM

889 posts, read 2,712,165 times

Advertisements

Did I mention that my sweet 75 year old father-in-law makes a pecan pie just for me almost every weekend? He does it 'cause he loves me. I have to eat one piece in front of him, but I usually share some with my neighbors, etc, or throw it out when no one's looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 09:44 PM

427 posts, read 549,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
I try to be healthy during the week. We get together with my husband's family every weekend. Food equals love and social time to them. Out comes the pecan pie and chips...etc. I have no willpower, so I join them. Can you empathize with me?
Can I? Can we? Yes, I can, yes we can. Should I? Should we? Actually, no! You have but three people to blame, as do I. Mine are me, myself, and I. You may change the order if you like, but the results will be the same!

Old 06-13-2010, 09:58 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,259 times
Three things start me overeating: stress, fatigue and availability of nothing but snack food (on my airplanes). So often I work loooooooong days, have almost no accessibility to decent food and plane after plane full of challenging people.

Bottom line is this: I am the one who controls what goes into my mouth. I have started carrying all of my food for 3 and 4 day long trips. Saves money but more importantly, it allows me to have access to nothing but healthful foods.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:55 PM

254 posts, read 414,876 times
ME. I try very hard to always cook healthy meals - lean meat, veggies, etc.
But in between those meals is what gets me...when I get the munchies its very hard to to gnaw on a rice cake or eat some almonds if there is anything in the house that involves chocolate.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:49 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,405 times
Yes I can sympathize...It happens to me too, and it means I'll spend 3+ hours in the gym because of it.

Fresh bread or ice cream...or cake...or a really good rack of bbq ribs...and these orgasmic snickerdoodle cookies my mom makes from scratch.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:36 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
Who sabatoges your diet?
The 15 year old. Well, not so much as he sabotages it, but its his mom who tends to make food that he likes.

I prefer all of my pastas to be whole wheat, he hates whole wheat. He also wants us to keep the fridge stocked with Capri Sun, Coke, ice cream, etc. so I have to avoid all of that stuff. Im trying to get him to stop eating that crappy white pasta and crappy white bread and go for whole wheat instead but he just lifts up his shirt points to his six pack abs and says "My abs says I can eat what I want".

Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
The 15 year old. Well, not so much as he sabotages it, but its his mom who tends to make food that he likes.

I prefer all of my pastas to be whole wheat, he hates whole wheat. He also wants us to keep the fridge stocked with Capri Sun, Coke, ice cream, etc. so I have to avoid all of that stuff. Im trying to get him to stop eating that crappy white pasta and crappy white bread and go for whole wheat instead but he just lifts up his shirt points to his six pack abs and says "My abs says I can eat what I want".
lol
He's 15. He can eat that stuff easily...and if I had a 6 pack I'd eat what I wanted too! lol

Old 06-15-2010, 11:11 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
"My abs says I can eat what I want".
LOL ... That'll come back to bite him in about 30 years!

I've got a spouse who eats like your 15-year-old. On top of that, he's a fussy eater whose tastes and cravings change from moment to moment. So the big ol' danish or the cookies that he bought may languish on the kitchen counter two or three days later, after he's decided he doesn't want them anymore ... and guess who spies them and decides that she hates to see food going to waste?

I can't blame him -- he's skinny as a rail and recovering from seven months of chemo. I just have to learn (and re-learn ... lather, rinse, repeat) to walk away from all that crap.

"NO!" is a powerful word.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:20 AM

548 posts, read 1,479,237 times
LOL @ Ohiogirl!

I can see how it would be difficult in your situation and in Lao's, too, (but coke, really? ). I don't let my husband do our grocery shopping. He buys crap and the cheapest version of whatever we need. That stuff doesn't tempt me much any more, but he and the kids DO NOT need to be eating it. There is just no excuse in my family's case. If we're eating out or at a party or something, they eat whatever they want pretty much. It's just not okay on a daily basis.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:46 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,642 times
Aaaah.... The joys of living alone-plus-dog. My dog has never once sabotaged my diet. (And he's always happy to take the last bite of whatever I'm eating off my hands. "Here, Mom. If you give me that last bit of omelette, it'll save you 35 calories. I'm happy to do it for you, 'cause I love you and I'm here to support you as you lose weight. And I'll even lick the plate clean, too, and then that way you won't have to pre-wash it before you stick it in the dishwasher. Don't worry, Mom. I've got your back.")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss