Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 AM

15 posts, read 21,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by william22 View Post
This is a great thread. I've been overweight since I was little and I never got to lose all those fats growing up. It's affecting my self-esteem and confidence. I can't wear the clothes I want and I feel I don't look good. I just brisk walk whenever I can but i don't think its doing much. I can't really keep on any diet. Any advice on how I can lose weight fast and effectively?

Deciding to change for the better is a good first step! It's important to accept ourselves for who we are. But it's also good to want to be better and healthier. Just keep away from sugary stuff, and sodas. read a lot about the effects of different food groups to our body. it's good that you've made the initiative to go for a brisk walk whenever you can. just keep it up and surely you'll look better and feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 06:07 AM

4 posts, read 6,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia39 View Post
Deciding to change for the better is a good first step! It's important to accept ourselves for who we are. But it's also good to want to be better and healthier. Just keep away from sugary stuff, and sodas. read a lot about the effects of different food groups to our body. it's good that you've made the initiative to go for a brisk walk whenever you can. just keep it up and surely you'll look better and feel better.

Will do. Thanks!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:57 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,302,636 times
In February of this year I was at my all-time highest weight: 202.5. I'm 5'4" (and female, with little-bitty bones), so I was definitely obese, and getting more obese all the time. I knew I was fat and I knew I was destroying my health, but I'd gotten used to just ignoring it. I didn't look at myself in the mirror beyond what I had to to get dressed. It wasn't that I was in denial; I just wasn't tuned in. And mostly I guess I was overwhelmed by the enormity of the task of losing the weight and revamping my health.

I woke up one morning in mid-Feb (2010) with a bad pain in my shoulder. It wouldn't go away and persisted for four days. Meanwhile, I was having these poking pains under my sternum. I was burping like crazy, and every once in a while I had this pain like someone was squeezing my chest. This all lasted for about 4 days, and no amount of OTC painkillers seemed to touch it. Heart disease (and high blood pressure and type-2 diabetes) runs in my family on both sides, so I thought I was having a heart event. I went to the doctor and had various tests, and mostly everything turned out to be fine.

But that was my wake up call. I realized I was too old to be treating my body like crap, and too young to be dealing with major health issues that could be prevented (or minimized) through some lifestyle changes. I cut out sodas, cut back meat (and switched to meats with no hormones and antibiotics), cut out fast food, cut out processed foods, ate more veggies and fruits and grains, and drank more water. I also started moving more. I've lost 40 pounds. I still have about 40 to go, but I've made good progress.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:28 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,604,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren03 View Post
Good job! It's great to know you're not feeling the pain in your feet anymore. how did you lose weight? what was the most effective way for you?
Very slow change in eating habits. That way I don't feel deprived. Cut or change one thing at a time. It took me over ayear to lose what I did. I did a lot of backsliding, but didn't beat myself up over mistakes. Just went right back on track to try again. My weight would go down for a while, then I would slack up a bit and gain sometimes as much as ten pounds back. I would then go at it a little harder the next time. I set goals over a months time of about 5 lbs. I don't let it upset me if I don't reach that goal.I just try again.
I do a lot of walking, some exercise and cycle. I only say some exercise because I work a very strenuos job 8-10 hrs a day or more. .
I'm doing better since getting more sleep and drinking more water.
What I've just noticed lately is that after all these food changes, the thought of eating a donut is discusting. I would rather eat fruit or veggies now.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:54 AM

175 posts, read 845,630 times
I weighed 327 lbs and it shocked me. I have been dieting and now lost 27 lbs. Only have 100 lbs to go.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:40 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,407,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william22 View Post
This is a great thread. I've been overweight since I was little and I never got to lose all those fats growing up. It's affecting my self-esteem and confidence. I can't wear the clothes I want and I feel I don't look good. I just brisk walk whenever I can but i don't think its doing much. I can't really keep on any diet. Any advice on how I can lose weight fast and effectively?
I would say don't do any diet. Just eat healthy and healthy foods that you like. Men's health has some very good eating healthy tips. I would also say to you to just find a workout regimen that you enjoy and like doing. Once you start, it will become habit, and when you want to eat those sweets or fattening foods, eat it, but don't make it a regular thing.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
I weighed 327 lbs and it shocked me. I have been dieting and now lost 27 lbs. Only have 100 lbs to go.
Good for you. Can you share with us what you are doing?

Old 07-25-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia39 View Post
I have to agree, I don't drink any sodas. I stay away from pasta, white rice, white bread. I hope that I don't offend anyone, but most white foods that are processed aren't good for us. Whole wheat, that's truly whole wheat without any sugar or bleached flower is the way to go, and basically any unprocessed foods that are as close to nature are what is better for us to eat.

I eat instant unsweetened oatmeal, and I sweetened it with blueberries, strawberries, or bananas with a tablespoon of real butter for flavor. I limit the pizza, fast foods that I eat as well. I stay away from sweets and high sugary foods, but when I want to eat them, I eat them in very very small portions.

It's really about portions, self control, and realizing what's good for you to eat versus what's bad. Once you start seeing the weight coming off, that will motivate you to stay on the right course. Again, I don't tell anyone that I am on a diet. You wanna know that the magic forumula is for losing weight and keeping it off?

Eat clean, eat healthy foods, and workout out 5-6 times a week to keep your weight off. All you need to do is just 30-60 mins a day. I do 3 days of cardio, and 3 days of weight training with light dumbells, alternating the days.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 AM

15 posts, read 21,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I have to agree, I don't drink any sodas. I stay away from pasta, white rice, white bread. I hope that I don't offend anyone, but most white foods that are processed aren't good for us. Whole wheat, that's truly whole wheat without any sugar or bleached flower is the way to go, and basically any unprocessed foods that are as close to nature are what is better for us to eat.

I eat instant unsweetened oatmeal, and I sweetened it with blueberries, strawberries, or bananas with a tablespoon of real butter for flavor. I limit the pizza, fast foods that I eat as well. I stay away from sweets and high sugary foods, but when I want to eat them, I eat them in very very small portions.

It's really about portions, self control, and realizing what's good for you to eat versus what's bad. Once you start seeing the weight coming off, that will motivate you to stay on the right course. Again, I don't tell anyone that I am on a diet. You wanna know that the magic forumula is for losing weight and keeping it off?

Eat clean, eat healthy foods, and workout out 5-6 times a week to keep your weight off. All you need to do is just 30-60 mins a day. I do 3 days of cardio, and 3 days of weight training with light dumbells, alternating the days.
yes! self-control is absolutely important. it was difficult for me when i was just starting. after a few months, it just became part of my routine. i developed eating healthy and working out as my habit.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:58 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,151,422 times
YES!

Back in December, a girl I knew growing up died from a stroke. I'd already started getting healthier but was only a couple weeks into it. That shocked and scared me. She was only ~2 years older than I am.

Last Friday, one of my classmates died from a heart attack. We are only 35. That makes me really sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss