Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:12 AM

444 posts, read 1,249,778 times

Advertisements

Hear alot of the radio about Right-Size Smoothies. The two week trial is a joke, because they charge you $120 for the next 2 months, then 90 for every 2 months after. Do they work? Other brands better/cheaper?

My unhealthiest meal is breakfast as I leave by 5am with a long commute. I'm grabbing 2-2.22 most of the time at the FF place of the week. I can usually eat light lunches (crackers/yogurt) and a reasonable dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:55 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,643 times
You can make your own smoothies and know for sure what's in them! I use low carb, no- sugar protein powder (comes in lots of flavors) and SF Davinci or Torini syrups to vary the flavors. My favorite for breakfast is 1 scoop Nectar brand cappacino flavor, 1 c water (mix these before adding the hot coffee or it will clump, add 1 c coffee, and a little creamer, stir. ...makes a big warm sweet drink (like a latte) for breakfast. Often I make two of them and put one of them in the frig to drink over ice when I get ready for an afternoon pick me up. 96 calories, 26 grams protein and they are very filling.

The fruit flavored protein powders are good with just water and ice run thru a little 2-cup blender (the little $16 Hamilton Beach is a work horse, crushes ice very well). When I'm not home, I carry a bottled RTD (ready to drink) protein with me - my fave is OhYeah! brand...vanilla creme and cookies and cream are very good both hot and cold - 40 grams protein, 220 calories - they are good with coffee or just straight (at home I sometimes run them in the blender with ice - makes two big smoothies). World Wide canned protein drinks are good, too.

Make sure you get the sugar free powders, NOT the high carb kind the body-builders use. Also, they are not all good....some taste like crap...but GNC and some other places will take them back if you don't like them. And never trust what a clerk tells you.....they are usually clueless about trying to lose weight even tho they may know a little about athletes.

I have also learned you can't trust what the smoothie stands or places like Starbucks say is in their drinks ....learned the hard way, of course. If I get more than 6-8 grams of sugar at one time, I'm sick sick sick within about 20 minutes so they can't fool me for long!

BTW....crackers and yogurt may feel like a light lunch but it's not...crackers are pure cabohydrates and most yogurts have lots of sugars (carbs) in them....and they are simple carbs (the evil kind that spike your sugar rapdily then drop just as rapidly and make you feel hungry and tired again). Complex carbs and protein digest slowly and stay with you and keep you going for much longer. You can google for a list of complex carbs and protein, too, if you're unsure of what is what.

I had to educate myself as to what food was what a couple of years ago - I thought it was just all about calories - not so!! I've lost 175 pounds since I've figured out what your body does with the foods you put in it.

Best wishes to you...........

Old 07-29-2010, 02:15 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPX2 View Post
Tell me about Smoothies
Not much to say except for they are almost all crap. Dont let anyone say anything about "oh MY smoothies are good because I add blah blah blah blah......"

Smoothies are just a way that people who claim to be on a diet, or are trying to figure out a way other than working out to lose weight try to trick themselves into thinking they are doing something healthy.

Dont even bother. Its these same people who are unable to break their "I need something sweet" habit who go around drinking these smoothies that tastes almost like dessert. Fruits should be eating at a minimum (I wouldnt go above the USDA recommended daily serving of fruit) because of the sugar content.

Quote:
Hear alot of the radio about Right-Size Smoothies. The two week trial is a joke, because they charge you $120 for the next 2 months, then 90 for every 2 months after. Do they work? Other brands better/cheaper?
Not only are those things NOT healthy for you, its a total waste of your money (i.e., a scam). Dont even bother.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:49 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,669,360 times
Quote:

My unhealthiest meal is breakfast as I leave by 5am with a long commute. I'm grabbing 2-2.22 most of the time at the FF place of the week. I can usually eat light lunches (crackers/yogurt) and a reasonable dinner.
Forget the smoothies, they will not "work" for you. Why not just do something about your terrible diet instead? I am guessing you are very overweight, based on this last sentence? Eating real food is going to do far more for you than adding a daily smoothie on top of the crap you are consuming.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:21 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,333 times
Well....My smoothies are the best because they taste great.
If you're planning to use them in a battle against fat, you'll lose. My smoothie consists of bananas, strawberries, blueberries, something green for the fun of it, or whatever fruit I happen to have. I may use water, milk (real milk. not that sissy low-fat stuff), or sometimes apple juice. I don't add sugar because all these ingredients are jam packed with sugary goodness to begin with.

You'll need to exercise more if you want to enjoy my smoothies without gaining weight........but it's worth it. They really are good.

Good Luck!

Old 07-30-2010, 05:24 AM

444 posts, read 1,249,778 times
Thanks for the replies. I was really trying to find an easy healthy substitute for a fast food breakfast. I'm 5'11 210. I have a desk job and a long commute.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:28 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
I make my smoothies with soy milk, vanilla extract and frozen berries; no sugar or juice.

Quote:
I was really trying to find an easy healthy substitute for a fast food breakfast.
Are you looking for healthier breakfast alternatives that you can eat while you're driving, or do you eat breakfast once you get to work?

Do you want your breakfast to be already packaged, or are you willing to make it yourself?

Let us know what your limitations and parameters are, and perhaps then we can give you some helpful suggestions (and that way perhaps no one will jump to conclusions or make snap judgments, either).

Old 07-30-2010, 08:47 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I was really trying to find an easy healthy substitute for a fast food breakfast. I'm 5'11 210. I have a desk job and a long commute.
Before I started working from home, I had a long commute as well - 1.5 hours each way (standard Los Angeles commute). I would do the following:

Make a bowl of plain oatmeal with whole blueberries - 5 minutes
or
Eat a bowl of Raisin Bran cereal
or
Boil a couple/few eggs the night before and eat them before jumping in the shower.
and/or
Would have a banana or peeled grapefruit (half) or granola bar for the commute.

Breakfast really is your most important meal of the day so pretty much anything will be better than your fast food (smoothies not so much better).

I would just not even consider smoothies though as people get all excited over them like it dessert or something. How many healthy/fit/athletic people you know drink smoothies? I know ZERO.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:06 PM

228 posts, read 740,166 times
I always make a breakfeast shake for nutrition. Here is my recipe I most often make.

1 cup mixed frozen fruit no added sugar
1/4 cup blueberries
1 banana
2 Tbls of Dr. Schultzes Super food
4 Tbls of vanila protein powder
1 cup of Almond Milk
1/2 cup filtered drinking water.

I feel great, lots of energy through out the day and haven't been sick with a cold or flu in 3 years no flu shots either. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Hattrick; 07-30-2010 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Grammer

Old 08-01-2010, 02:02 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,041,601 times
I make a vegetable and/or smoothy- no added anything but water or veg/fruit juice in the AM but it wouldn't be useful for you if you are looking to cut back time. In the time it takes me to make it, you could have cereal or oatmeal. I spend the time before work making it and drink it on the way to work in the car. I also take a bottle of water and down that right after to get the teeth cleaned up after the fruit slothes by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss